    the actual hardware for the wireless adapter looks like;
    obviously I have identified the on/off switch, but the
    rest of it could be anywhere.
    Old Wolf, Sep 28, 2009

  2. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Sep 28, 9:53 pm, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    > My laptop wireless is only working sometimes; I
    > think it is a hardware problem. If it is working and
    > I tap the corner of the case, the wireless light flickers
    > as I tap and it often goes off.

    Should have mentioned, it's a Sony Vaio,
    about four years old (i.e. not the most recent model).
    Old Wolf, Sep 28, 2009

  3. Old Wolf

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Old Wolf wrote:
    > On Sep 28, 9:53 pm, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    >> My laptop wireless is only working sometimes; I
    >> think it is a hardware problem. If it is working and
    >> I tap the corner of the case, the wireless light flickers
    >> as I tap and it often goes off.
    >>

    > Should have mentioned, it's a Sony Vaio,
    > about four years old (i.e. not the most recent model).

    Sorry if I'm underestimating you but the wireless isn't set to turn off
    after a certain period of inactivity is it? Some 'profiles' do this to save
    batterys.

    Usually, on laptops of that era it's a seperate miniPCI daughtercard like
    this:

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=243267718

    They are often just under a cover and re-seating them can fix problems.

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 28, 2009
  4. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Sep 28, 10:39 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Usually, on laptops of that era it's a seperate miniPCI daughtercard like
    > this:

    OK. The switch is mounted on a board
    that's screwed to the motherboard,
    but I couldn't get it out (the screws were very
    tight and I don't have exactly the right size
    screwdriver). Will get a better screwdriver and
    try again!
    Old Wolf, Sep 28, 2009
  5. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    Just to clarify, it's the onboard 802.11g wireless LAN
    I'm talking about , not an internet connection
    or anything.
    Old Wolf, Sep 28, 2009
  6. Old Wolf

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Old Wolf wrote:
    > On Sep 28, 10:39 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Usually, on laptops of that era it's a seperate miniPCI daughtercard
    >> like this:

    > OK. The switch is mounted on a board
    > that's screwed to the motherboard,
    > but I couldn't get it out (the screws were very
    > tight and I don't have exactly the right size
    > screwdriver). Will get a better screwdriver and
    > try again!

    Hmmm, most of the miniPCI ones clip in with a spring clip on each side. I
    guess it could be a MDC-type card that you're looking at (maybe bluetooth).

    Does it have a couple wires clipped to it? If not you could be looking at
    the wrong thing. They aren't all easilly accessable. Some of my laptops
    require the keyboard to be removed to get at them...
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2009
  7. Old Wolf

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Old Wolf wrote:
    >> On Sep 28, 10:39 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>> Usually, on laptops of that era it's a seperate miniPCI daughtercard
    >>> like this:

    >> OK. The switch is mounted on a board
    >> that's screwed to the motherboard,
    >> but I couldn't get it out (the screws were very
    >> tight and I don't have exactly the right size
    >> screwdriver). Will get a better screwdriver and
    >> try again!

    > Hmmm, most of the miniPCI ones clip in with a spring clip on each
    > side. I guess it could be a MDC-type card that you're looking at
    > (maybe bluetooth).
    > Does it have a couple wires clipped to it? If not you could be
    > looking at the wrong thing. They aren't all easilly accessable. Some
    > of my laptops require the keyboard to be removed to get at them...

    .... and then again it could be new enough so that the wireless card is a
    mini PCI-Express card rather than a miniPCI card. Some of the 'express'
    types are retained by two screws. This laptop has the express version and
    it's 2.5 years old.

    Perhaps a model number might help? It's possible that you may be able to
    download a manual / service manual for it.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2009