Intermittent Internet Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by TeeJay1952, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. TeeJay1952

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    Man I had a strange one. Friend asked that I look in on her Mother to
    see what the problem was with new Dell that she had purchased for her
    Mom so she could keep in touch by email. I was the third tech sent over
    to help Mom. One set her up with Vista Mail, Second with AOL and I
    showed her the web portal email (WOW).
    Everything worked but then again none of them did as her connection
    came in went in the matter of a few seconds. IE7 & 8 or Firefox, it
    didn't matter. Called ISP (WOW) and had a second truck roll to the
    address. The first one did a new drop from the pole. ISP tech hooked her
    cat5 to his laptop and 200 pings later said connection was ok it must be
    her network card (on board) was bad. Dropped in a new network card and
    we got the same results. 10 pings and 25% packet loss and several no
    located host replies.
    Now I tell Mom we have to return tower to Dell. She doesn't have box
    anymore but I tell her that Dell will send her a box or have UPS wrap it
    up but not to worry this is a brand new system and Dell will make it work.
    Call Dell (India) and Bill (Rajah) tells me to go to safe mode with
    networking. I do and everything is fine. Instant access and fast
    connection. I click 20 web sites in both IE & Firefox and all is well. I
    reboot and same old problem.
    Bill says Mom has a hardware warranty but not a software warranty. He
    transfers me to software support where 2 people in a row say that they
    will help me with a 1 time payment of $130 or a several year commitment
    will get Mom software support. I decline saying a new tower fresh out of
    box must work. They are insistent and I say elevate me to manager.
    Manager (very polite) tries several times to get me to send a payment
    but I hold tight. Manager then says to remove Dell Remote Access from
    system. I do, reboot and all is well.
    Is this a hidden bomb by Dell to get people to pay additional money for
    support? I don't know but I am suspicious. What do you think?
    Am I paranoid or did I discover a ripoff?
    Tee Jay

    TeeJay1952, Jul 21, 2009

  2. TeeJay1952

    Paul Guest

    TeeJay1952 wrote:
    > Man I had a strange one. Friend asked that I look in on her Mother
    > to see what the problem was with new Dell that she had purchased for her
    > Mom so she could keep in touch by email. I was the third tech sent over
    > to help Mom. One set her up with Vista Mail, Second with AOL and I
    > showed her the web portal email (WOW).
    > Everything worked but then again none of them did as her connection
    > came in went in the matter of a few seconds. IE7 & 8 or Firefox, it
    > didn't matter. Called ISP (WOW) and had a second truck roll to the
    > address. The first one did a new drop from the pole. ISP tech hooked her
    > cat5 to his laptop and 200 pings later said connection was ok it must be
    > her network card (on board) was bad. Dropped in a new network card and
    > we got the same results. 10 pings and 25% packet loss and several no
    > located host replies.
    > Now I tell Mom we have to return tower to Dell. She doesn't have box
    > anymore but I tell her that Dell will send her a box or have UPS wrap it
    > up but not to worry this is a brand new system and Dell will make it work.
    > Call Dell (India) and Bill (Rajah) tells me to go to safe mode with
    > networking. I do and everything is fine. Instant access and fast
    > connection. I click 20 web sites in both IE & Firefox and all is well. I
    > reboot and same old problem.
    > Bill says Mom has a hardware warranty but not a software warranty.
    > He transfers me to software support where 2 people in a row say that
    > they will help me with a 1 time payment of $130 or a several year
    > commitment will get Mom software support. I decline saying a new tower
    > fresh out of box must work. They are insistent and I say elevate me to
    > manager. Manager (very polite) tries several times to get me to send a
    > payment but I hold tight. Manager then says to remove Dell Remote Access
    > from system. I do, reboot and all is well.
    > Is this a hidden bomb by Dell to get people to pay additional money
    > for support? I don't know but I am suspicious. What do you think?
    > Am I paranoid or did I discover a ripoff?
    > Tee Jay

    Surprisingly, the warranty terms vary by product. I just checked the Dell
    web site. I didn't realize the warranty terms vary so much by product line.
    One of them offers 30 day "initial configuration" support, in which
    case the user had better make that computer their primary task
    for the first 30 days (so if they need support, they phone
    right away, and not leave the system sitting in the cardboard
    box).

    It is hard to tell from your description, what software that is.
    (Their site smacks of TradeMark overload, and that name may have
    been used for other things in the past.) Dell has a DellConnect thing,
    which I presume is for them to remotely access a system when doing
    software support. DellConnect may still need to be present, while
    they're doing their "hardware-only" warranty support.

    I did find a "Dell Remote Access", available for download on the web.
    I unpacked with 7ZIP, and I can see "Copyright SingleClick Systems"
    in a file called "account.inc". I also found an icon that says
    "digital share live", which appears to be a product of theirs.

    http://download.cnet.com/Dell-Remote-Access/3000-7240_4-10898926.html

    http://support.singleclicksystems.com/

    Was the "Dell Remote Access" enabled by default, or does it require
    user action to enable it ?

    I'm not installing that 16MB thing I downloaded, because it looks like
    a security nightmare. I presume they're off the hook, if Dell fill the
    computer with "landmines" (cruftware), and a customer has to enable said
    software, to get themselves into a support mess. Seems an easy way to
    make themselves $130.00 .

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 21, 2009