    BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general) but
    before I got any response the group disappeared from this news server.
    Hopefully this one will stay active.

    Vampire13, Nov 26, 2009

  2. Sometimes, upgraded installations do not work well. I think this is your
    problem, unless you need to install some machine specific drivers for
    Windows 7.

    I recommend you back up your data and do a clean install of Windows 7.

    Dominic Payer, Nov 26, 2009

  3. Vampire13 wrote:
    > Since doing the upgrade every few days my system fails to boot and I
    > have to go through the auto repair function. Usually it ends in a
    > message asking me if I want to use system restore. Sometimes it works
    > and other times I just shut down and restart. Has anyone else out
    > there had this problem? If so have you found a cause?

    Yes. I don't know what the cause is. I did a clean (custom) install
    initially, and an upgrade install since, but it still fails to boot on
    occasion and goes through that repair business.

    > Also, I find 7 to be insanely slow to boot, VistaX64 was much faster
    > and I never had startup problems. Thanks for any suggestions.

    For me, it is much faster than Vista.

    > BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general)
    > but before I got any response the group disappeared from this news
    > server. Hopefully this one will stay active.

    alt.windows7.general was never on this news server (news.microsoft.com).
    It is a Usenet group, it is alive and well, and I see your post there.
    --
    Crash

    "Update" and "upgrade" are not synonyms.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 26, 2009
  4. Vampire13

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Vampire13.

    > BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general) but
    > before I got any response the group disappeared from this news server.
    > Hopefully this one will stay active.

    THIS newsgroup, like all Microsoft public newsgroups, is hosted on the
    Microsoft public news server, which is free and does not require a logon.
    It can be reached via your default newsreader (OE/WM/WLM or a third-party
    app like Thunderbird) by simply clicking:

    These are Usenet newsgroups and can be mirrored (or "slurped") freely by
    just about anybody. MANY "forums" relay messages to and from here; many
    present them as their own original content.

    Many Usenet news servers also mirror some of the 2,000+ newsgroups available
    here, but some servers mirror only a few of them. I'm not sure which news
    server you are using, but one line of the headers for your post says:
    As Crash said, the alt.windows7.general NG is a Usenet NG hosted on some
    other news server, NOT by Microsoft. Your ISP or other Usenet newsgroup
    provided may or may not carry that NG. Perhaps they carried for a time but
    have recently discontinued it. That NG is still available on the news
    server that my ISP includes in my monthly subscription, so I see your post
    there - with two replies, from Canuck57 and Dave-UK. Perhaps you should
    contact your ISP or other news provider and ask that this Win7 NG be
    reinstated. Otherwise, you'll need to search for another Usenet news
    server. (When I Google or Bing for "free news server" I get well over
    100,000 hits.)

    As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
    peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in newsgroups.
    Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely including myself! - are
    unhappy about this decision - but our protests are falling on deaf ears.
    :>(

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 26, 2009
  5. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    R. C. White wrote:

    > Hi, Vampire13.
    >
    >> BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general) but
    >> before I got any response the group disappeared from this news server.
    >> Hopefully this one will stay active.

    > THIS newsgroup, like all Microsoft public newsgroups, is hosted on the
    > Microsoft public news server, which is free and does not require a
    > logon. It can be reached via your default newsreader (OE/WM/WLM or a
    > third-party app like Thunderbird) by simply clicking:
    >
    > These are Usenet newsgroups and can be mirrored (or "slurped") freely by
    > just about anybody. MANY "forums" relay messages to and from here; many
    > present them as their own original content.
    >
    > Many Usenet news servers also mirror some of the 2,000+ newsgroups
    > available here, but some servers mirror only a few of them. I'm not sure
    > which news server you are using, but one line of the headers for your
    > post says:
    > As Crash said, the alt.windows7.general NG is a Usenet NG hosted on some
    > other news server, NOT by Microsoft. Your ISP or other Usenet newsgroup
    > provided may or may not carry that NG. Perhaps they carried for a time
    > but have recently discontinued it. That NG is still available on the
    > news server that my ISP includes in my monthly subscription, so I see
    > your post there - with two replies, from Canuck57 and Dave-UK. Perhaps
    > you should contact your ISP or other news provider and ask that this
    > Win7 NG be reinstated. Otherwise, you'll need to search for another
    > Usenet news server. (When I Google or Bing for "free news server" I get
    > well over 100,000 hits.)
    >
    > As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
    > peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in
    > newsgroups. Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely including
    > myself! - are unhappy about this decision - but our protests are falling
    > on deaf ears. :>(
    >
    > RC

    Thanks to all of you for the quick response and BTW, Happy Thanksgiving
    to all!!

    It seems like it would be prudent for me to wait and see if the boot
    problem persists. I really hate stripping everything to do the clean
    install. Especially if it doesn't always work.

    As for the news server, I meant my access through Cox Cable. I actually
    subscribed to the alt.windows7.general from this Cox access, posted the
    message, saw it come up on my screen and closed my browser. Later, when
    I signed on again I got the message that the group did not exist on this
    server. That's when I searched for this group and subscribed. It has
    been a while since I looked in on news groups and my fuzzy old brain
    can't remember how everything works. Perhaps one of you could inform me
    about how to subscribe to a Usenet server.

    I appreciate the help.

    Vampire13 (Ed for short)

    Vampire13, Nov 26, 2009
  6. > As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
    > peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in
    > newsgroups. Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely
    > including myself! - are unhappy about this decision - but our
    > protests are falling on deaf ears. :>(

    Yes, and it really sucks. I don't like web based forums, at all. I
    especially don't like that I have to get a "Live ID." Next thing you
    know they'll want me to wear a yellow star and have a serial number
    tattooed on my wrist. I just want to use the software. I don't want to
    be assimilated into the Microsoft collective

    --
    Crash

    English is not my native tongue; I'm an American.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 26, 2009
  7. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!

    Bobby Johnson, Nov 26, 2009
  8. > As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
    > peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in
    > newsgroups. Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely
    > including myself! - are unhappy about this decision - but our
    > protests are falling on deaf ears. :>(

    Yes, and it really sucks. I don't like web based forums, at all. I
    especially don't like that I have to get a "Live ID." I just want to use
    the software. I don't want to be assimilated into the Microsoft collective.

    --
    Crash

    Life is short. Eat dessert first.

    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 26, 2009
  9. Vampire13

    Bill Guest

    AYBABTU

    Bill, Nov 27, 2009
  10. Vampire13

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Ed.

    > can't remember how everything works. Perhaps one of you could inform me
    > about how to subscribe to a Usenet server.

    First, of course, you have to find out the news server's URL. Then, in
    OE/WM/WLM (the only newsreaders I know about these days), just click Tool |
    Accounts | Add | Newsgroup account...and follow your nose. The only screen
    that matters is where you type the address of your NNTP server. Mine is
    news.grandecom.net, but that won't do you any good; you'll need the Cox
    server's URL. My server does not require me to logon; if yours does, you'll
    need your account name and password.

    We'll see you (again) soon at alt.windows7.general ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 27, 2009
  11. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    R. C.:

    Thanks again. I'll give it a shot, the NNTP is news.cox.net so I'll
    start from there.

    Ed

    Vampire13, Nov 27, 2009
  12. Vampire13

    Vampire13, Nov 27, 2009
  13. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    R. C.:

    Thanks again, I will give it a shot.

    Ed

    Vampire13, Nov 27, 2009
  14. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    R. C.

    I seem to be having problems with my Cox server. This is my third
    attempt to post this reply. Let's see if it works this time.

    Vampire13, Nov 27, 2009
  15. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    R. C.:

    Please forgive the crappy multiple post here. My mail service kept
    showing "time out" and failure to send. Seems it was lying to me and
    sent them after all.

    I did a search for the alt.windows7.general group and the only one that
    comes up is actually in Germany. There site says it is a free group and
    another site provided their server information. I set up my mail and was
    able to access the site, however it kept asking for my password and the
    one I use for all mail and news was rejected. I don't know what other
    password they want or how to obtain it. So, for now I'm just connected
    to this one.

    Meanwhile, the failure to boot became critical and locked up my machine
    so, I followed HP's instructions and restored my system to factory
    spec(back to VISTA 64 bit). That is why this post is so late. The backup
    program included in the Recovery Program wiped out all my self installed
    programs including my Seamonkey Suite and since Windows (post ME) puts
    some critical data and files in multiple locations such as several
    "Application Data" folders reinstalling and acquiring all the pertinent
    information is a chore. I'm an old bug and I would still prefer that all
    files pertaining to a program remain in that programs folders and sub
    folders.

    BTW, the backup program did not save any executable files so, even
    programs that do not need the registry and are not listed in Control
    Panel need to be reinstalled. Had I just backed everything myself to an
    external drive at least some of my apps could just be copied back and be
    usable. Oh well, my bad. That's what I get for following the
    instructions. The worst part was both the back up and restore both took
    approximately 10 hours. Pretty slow in today's advanced technology.

    Sorry for the long post (vent) (rant) (whatever). When I get my system
    properly reorganized I will come back and pursue the usenet thing again.

    Cheers, Ed

    Vampire13 wrote:
    > R. C.:
    >
    > Thanks again. I'll give it a shot, the NNTP is news.cox.net so I'll
    > start from there.
    >
    > Ed
    >
    > R. C. White wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi, Ed.
    >>
    >>> can't remember how everything works. Perhaps one of you could
    >>> inform me about how to subscribe to a Usenet server.

    >> First, of course, you have to find out the news server's URL. Then,
    >> in OE/WM/WLM (the only newsreaders I know about these days), just
    >> click Tool | Accounts | Add | Newsgroup account...and follow your
    >> nose. The only screen that matters is where you type the address of
    >> your NNTP server. Mine is news.grandecom.net, but that won't do you
    >> any good; you'll need the Cox server's URL. My server does not
    >> require me to logon; if yours does, you'll need your account name
    >> and password.
    >>
    >> We'll see you (again) soon at alt.windows7.general ;<)
    >>
    >> RC

    .. .:

    Vampire13, Dec 3, 2009
  16. Vampire13

    Vampire13 Guest

    ARRGGH!!!

    Another misstatement, the backup program didn't wipe out my APP's, the
    system recovery program did. But, the rest of the comments about the
    backup/restore are correct.

    Cheers again.

    (I have to do a better job of proofing my post's)

    Vampire13, Dec 3, 2009
  17. Vampire13

    Vampire13, Dec 3, 2009