    Also, check out the following:

    http://www.internettrafficreport.com/australia.htm

    Response times over the last hour or so have risen significantly.

    Sweetpea, Nov 1, 2010

  2. Sweetpea

    peterwn Guest

    On Nov 1, 9:54 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    > Anybody else on Clear having intermittent issues resolving domain names?
    >
    > Also, check out the following:
    >
    > http://www.internettrafficreport.com/australia.htm
    >
    > Response times over the last hour or so have risen significantly.

    Yes - on Telstraclear cable. I wonder if it has anything to do with
    their caching policies. It sort of makes me wonder if they are
    aggressively 'smoothing' international traffic to save money, hence
    anything not already in their caches is subject to long delays.

    I hope others will comment on this. If there are problems, we should
    tell Mr Joyce to ignore Telstraclear cable when rolling out broadband
    - ie put feet down then kick someone in the backside.
    peterwn, Nov 1, 2010

  3. Sweetpea

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-11-01, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 9:54 pm, Sweetpea <> wrote:
    >> Anybody else on Clear having intermittent issues resolving domain names?
    >>
    >> Also, check out the following:
    >>
    >> http://www.internettrafficreport.com/australia.htm
    >>
    >> Response times over the last hour or so have risen significantly.
    >>

    > Yes - on Telstraclear cable. I wonder if it has anything to do with
    > their caching policies. It sort of makes me wonder if they are
    > aggressively 'smoothing' international traffic to save money, hence
    > anything not already in their caches is subject to long delays.
    >
    > I hope others will comment on this. If there are problems, we should
    > tell Mr Joyce to ignore Telstraclear cable when rolling out broadband
    > - ie put feet down then kick someone in the backside.

    You have not been paying attention. Feet up Mr Joyce ultra fast broadband
    will be here next year. Or words to that affect on a bus shelter poster.
    Gordon, Nov 2, 2010
  4. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 05:17:27 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Feet up Mr Joyce ultra fast broadband will be here next year.

    At what price to the domestic user? Extortion like what people are
    currently paying for "broadband"?

    Sweetpea, Nov 2, 2010
  5. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:58:58 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > The price is we'll each be paying more in taxes than we would other have
    > needed to.

    Speak for your self. If you can't manage your finances in order to only
    pay the tax you are obliged to pay then more fool you!

    Sweetpea, Nov 3, 2010
  6. Sweetpea

    victor Guest

    On 4/11/2010 10:43 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > Sweetpea wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:58:58 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>> The price is we'll each be paying more in taxes than we would other have
    >>> needed to.

    >> Speak for your self. If you can't manage your finances in order to only
    >> pay the tax you are obliged to pay then more fool you!

    > Eh? I'm saying that we wouldn't need to pay so much in taxes if the
    > government didn't spent "public" money on broadband connectivity. You know
    > nothing about me and my finances to make a claim that I don't already
    > minimise the tax I pay.

    Then you are probably better off if the fiber network is taxpayer funded
    if you aren't paying your share.
    victor, Nov 4, 2010
  7. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 10:43:56 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > You know
    > nothing about me and my finances to make a claim that I don't already
    > minimise the tax I pay.

    Are you doing avoidance or evasion?

    Sweetpea, Nov 4, 2010
  8. Sweetpea

    Enkidu Guest

    On 04/11/10 20:18, Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 10:43:56 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> You know nothing about me and my finances to make a claim that I
    >> don't already minimise the tax I pay.

    > Are you doing avoidance or evasion?

    What you are really asking is "Is it legal or is it illegal". Do you
    really expect an answer?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Nov 4, 2010
  9. Sweetpea

    victor Guest

    --
    "I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."
    victor, Nov 4, 2010
  10. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:25:38 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > How do yo determine what "my share" is? I pay over twice the average
    > wage in income tax - I consider that to be far more than my share.

    Then you must be earning a very high salary indeed if you're paying over
    $80,000 in income tax!

    Sweetpea, Nov 5, 2010
  11. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:25:38 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > What this fibre plan does is it forces the top 20% of taxpayers to
    > subsidise the remaining 80%.

    Good!

    So they should, because those who have more have also a greater
    responsibility - including a responsibility to support those who are less
    well off!

    Here in NZ this is primarily done by means of taxation.

    Sweetpea, Nov 5, 2010
  12. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:23:51 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >>> You know
    >>> nothing about me and my finances to make a claim that I don't already
    >>> minimise the tax I pay.

    >> Are you doing avoidance or evasion?

    > I'm not breaking the law, if that's what you mean.

    "Avoidance" it is then - "illegal but can't be proven".

    Sweetpea, Nov 5, 2010
  13. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:14:27 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >>> You know nothing about me and my finances to make a claim that I don't
    >>> already minimise the tax I pay.

    >> Are you doing avoidance or evasion?
    >>

    > What you are really asking is "Is it legal or is it illegal". Do you
    > really expect an answer?

    Didn't expect an answer, but he did reply, altho' he didn't answer the
    question directly.

    Sweetpea, Nov 5, 2010
  14. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 22:46:39 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> Here in NZ this is primarily done by means of taxation.

    > Yes. As I said, a bad idea.

    Actually it's a good idea - it's just that you don't want to comply with
    your fiscal obligation.

    Sweetpea, Nov 5, 2010
  15. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 22:45:13 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> "Avoidance" it is then - "illegal but can't be proven".

    > What part of "not breaking the law" do you find hard to understand?

    What part of "can't be proven" is hard to understand?

    Sweetpea, Nov 5, 2010
  16. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 08:17:33 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> Actually it's a good idea - it's just that you don't want to comply
    >> with your fiscal obligation.

    > It not that I don't want to comply with it, it's that I think it is
    > unethical to forcibly take property off one man so it can be handed to
    > another.

    Well - it only has to be "forcibly" taken off you because of your
    unwillingness to pay it.

    Sweetpea, Nov 8, 2010
  17. Sweetpea

    victor Guest

    On 9/11/2010 11:29 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > Sweetpea wrote:

    >>> It not that I don't want to comply with it, it's that I think it is
    >>> unethical to forcibly take property off one man so it can be handed to
    >>> another.

    >> Well - it only has to be "forcibly" taken off you because of your
    >> unwillingness to pay it.

    > No, it is forcibly taken from me (and everyone else) because if it is not
    > paid then we will be punished. Normally that's called "extortion".

    Normally its called tax.
    Extortion is much less normal than taxation.
    victor, Nov 8, 2010
  18. Sweetpea

    victor Guest

    On 9/11/2010 11:50 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    >>> No, it is forcibly taken from me (and everyone else) because if it is not
    >>> paid then we will be punished. Normally that's called "extortion".

    >> Normally its called tax.
    >> Extortion is much less normal than taxation.

    > If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

    Absolutely, if it looks like tax, and sounds like tax, then it is tax.
    victor, Nov 9, 2010
  19. Sweetpea

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:29:47 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Sweetpea wrote:

    >>> It not that I don't want to comply with it, it's that I think it is
    >>> unethical to forcibly take property off one man so it can be handed to
    >>> another.

    >> Well - it only has to be "forcibly" taken off you because of your
    >> unwillingness to pay it.

    > No, it is forcibly taken from me (and everyone else) because if it is
    > not paid then we will be punished. Normally that's called "extortion".

    Actually that's called "Taxation" when payment to the Crown is required
    by law. It is called "Rates" when payment to a local council is required
    by law.

    Sweetpea, Nov 9, 2010
  20. Sweetpea

    victor Guest

    On 10/11/2010 9:37 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > Sweetpea wrote:

    >>> No, it is forcibly taken from me (and everyone else) because if it is
    >>> not paid then we will be punished. Normally that's called "extortion".

    >> Actually that's called "Taxation" when payment to the Crown is required
    >> by law. It is called "Rates" when payment to a local council is required
    >> by law.

    > That doesn't mean it's not also extortionate.

    Only as a hyperbolic metaphor.

    --
    "I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."
    victor, Nov 10, 2010