Intermittent connection when using WPA

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bert Hyman, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    I have a new IBM R51 Thinkpad running XP Pro SP2 and an internal Intel
    2200BG WiFi adapter configured to use WPA, talking to an Actiontec
    GT701 DSL router.

    I'm not using XP's Wireless Zero config (service is turned off), nor
    am I using the Windows firewall. I have the latest Intel drivers and
    IBM utilities installed, and the current Qwest firmware installed in
    the router.

    On boot, the wireless connection works just fine, but after a few
    minutes the connection will drop. Then a few seconds later the
    connection will come back. It will drop and return spontaneously for
    "a while" and then settle down and run fine for hours.

    When this is happening, I'm only a few feet from the router and have a
    solid green indication on the Intel status icon.

    At first I thought it was my Sygate Security Agent firewall, but the
    symptoms are the same if that service is shut down.

    I don't see this problem when I'm using wireless at work using WEP.

    Other than playing with the firewall, I haven't done much to track
    down the problem. Before I start tearing things apart, does this sound
    familiar to anybody? Anything in particular I might try first?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Sep 27, 2004

  2. You could try setting the fragmentation and RTS/CTS thresholds a bit lower,
    that has considerably stabilised my connection. I set both of mine to 2304
    in the router and PCMIA laptop card.

    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1468331

    hth

    philip ashley

    philip ashley, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:Yz36d.425$ "philip ashley"
    <> wrote:

    > You could try setting the fragmentation and RTS/CTS thresholds a bit
    > lower, that has considerably stabilised my connection. I set both of
    > mine to 2304 in the router and PCMIA laptop card.
    >
    > http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1468331

    I'll have to study that tomorrow; thanks for the pointer.

    Monitoring the interface with Ethereal, I see the router and the NIC
    exchange frames every 60 seconds with a protocol "EAPOL", which appears to
    be related to the TKIP key rotation (or whatever it is) for the WPA
    encryption.

    When the connection drops, I see the router sending its frame to me, but
    the NIC doesn't send anything back.

    Again, I'll have to look into this some more tomorrow morning.

    Bert Hyman, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Can you see if you have IEEE 802.1x authentication enabled on your wireless
    adapter? This needs to be shut off. Also, ensure you are running the
    latest Intel wireless NIC drivers by going to there web site and verifying
    your driver version with what they have as the latest. For further
    assistance please contact IBM for customer service on your issue.

    --
    Jeff Baziuk
    Microsoft Corporation

    and confers no rights.

    Jeff Baziuk [MSFT], Oct 1, 2004
  5. Bert Hyman

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Jeff Baziuk [MSFT]"
    <> wrote:

    > Can you see if you have IEEE 802.1x authentication enabled on your
    > wireless adapter?

    The only place I see that selection is in the Windows "native"
    configuration, which I'm not using. Nothing like that appears in the IBM
    config utility.

    > This needs to be shut off. Also, ensure you are running the
    > latest Intel wireless NIC drivers by going to there web site and
    > verifying your driver version with what they have as the latest.

    Again, Intel sends me to IBM for their version of the drivers, which I
    have.

    > For further assistance please contact IBM for customer service on your
    > issue.

    Well, sure.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN