Intermittant Wireless Connectivity - Any Ideas??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by rafael_romano299@hotmail.com, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Does anyone have any ideas whats going on here please?

    I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router with security configured
    (WEP etc). I have two connecting devices (laptops) and both exhibit
    this same problem. I can stay connected to the wireless network for
    about 5 minutes but then the connection drops for a minute or two and
    then reconnects itself.

    It can't be anything to do with signal strength 'cos were sitting next
    to the Access Point! I have tried configuring the wireless settings
    through Intel PROSet Wireless and through Windows - makes no
    difference. I've tried contacting the ISP but they say it's the router.

    I'm going to try swapping out the router and testing also with a third
    laptop to see if that drops too but any ideas as to what this might be
    would be appreciated.

    Thank you in advance.

    , Dec 7, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any ideas whats going on here please?
    >
    > I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router with security configured
    > (WEP etc). I have two connecting devices (laptops) and both exhibit
    > this same problem. I can stay connected to the wireless network for
    > about 5 minutes but then the connection drops for a minute or two and
    > then reconnects itself.
    >
    > It can't be anything to do with signal strength 'cos were sitting next
    > to the Access Point! I have tried configuring the wireless settings
    > through Intel PROSet Wireless and through Windows - makes no
    > difference. I've tried contacting the ISP but they say it's the router.
    >
    > I'm going to try swapping out the router and testing also with a third
    > laptop to see if that drops too but any ideas as to what this might be
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.

    It could be power saving issues with the clients. Turn off any power saving
    on wireless cards.

    Its also possible your router is on the same channel as another near by
    router. Try changing channels and make sure your SSID is being broadcast and
    is unique. Channels 1,6 and 11 might offer the least interference with near
    by transmitters. You also might need to use a tool like Netstumbler to find
    an unused channel in your neighborhood.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al \(MVP\), Dec 7, 2006

  3. John Butler Guest

    I have experienced this problem when a neighbour powered up his wireless net
    work. I had to disable autoselect and select a specific network (Channel 5)

    John Butler, Dec 7, 2006