    router's firewall and XP's firewall with no changes. My ISP claims that there
    are no problems with my connection. I'm out of ideas, Please help. Thanks,
    Mike D.

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=, Mar 14, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBGLg==?=, Mar 14, 2006

  3. I have the same problem with my connection. Does your characters freeze
    during this period?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBGLg==?=, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Sometimes the freeze. Sometimes it continues then "rewinds". It usually just
    gets stuttery or everything stops. Cant be my video card it's a 256 Meg
    GForce 7800GTX.

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=, Mar 14, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=

    James Gockel Guest

    Somethings that may fix the issue: On your router see if you can set the MTU
    (maximum transmittable unit) higher, this allows more data per paket
    (afaik). Also you may want to try setting the beacon transmit time faster...
    that should make the two devices (router and card) sync better. If you have
    a security setting like wep, this takes time for packets to be encrypted and
    decrypted causeing a slowing, which is ok for web browsing etc. but bad for
    realtime streams (like games).
    I don't play much games personally, but these things may help the situation.
    This is all to my best understanding of how these things work, and may
    worsen the situation, just remember the orignal settings :-D
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Thanks a lot! I think it was the beacon interval. I didn't know what it was
    so I hadn't changed it before. It was set at 100, I assume ms, changed it to
    10 and the problem went away. Once again, many thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=, Mar 16, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=

    James Gockel Guest

    Yes like I said, as far as I know the beacon interval is like a syncing
    mechinism, it calibrates the cards to communicate at a certain interval.
    Glad it worked.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 16, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=

    Jeff Guest

    I too need to change the beacon interval on my router, but cannot find how
    to do so. My router is a SMC barricade 14-G. Although it mentions beacon
    interval in the help files under the Wireless screen, I can find no way to
    do so. Could it be what they call "Transmission rate" which is presently
    set at automatic?

    Anyone happen to have a SMC Barricade router?

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Mar 16, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=

    James Gockel Guest

    Sorry Jeff, I checked with SMC's website manual for your router, and you
    can't change the beacon interval. The transmission rate you asked about is
    actually the bandwidth allowed for the wireless.. 54mbps being the fasted on
    a simple 802.11g network ... and 11mbps being the fastest on a 802.11b. If i
    recall correctly.
    But you can also limit the bandwidth, for example setting it to 5.5mbps can
    force everyone to download slower, and allow more constant speeds for
    everyone. Vs. someone hogging all the bandwidth and no one else being able
    to do anything. Sometimes it's usefull.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 16, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?RG9iYWxs?=