Intermitent speed and strange happenings.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tam, Mar 28, 2010.

  1. Tam

    Tam Guest

    I am using a Thompson adsl/wireless TG585n for my internet access. As
    its capable of the newer "N" network I went and purchased three TP-
    Link TL-WN821 USB adaptors.

    However i simply cannot get it to connect at a good enough speed. Or
    range. This hasnt increased a single foot. In a room three rooms away
    from the router i get one bar on G and one bar on N. Its meant to
    increase surely.

    When i use the internal "G" on my laptop (and pc) i can connect at a
    steady 54mbs. With the adaptor im lucky to get 13mbs. Now ive been
    told that *all* devices on the network should be "N" and not mix and
    match with "G" so part of this process was to disable all internal
    network devices (two laptops and one main PC) running on "G".

    No difference, especially the laptop though I have had the PC
    connecting at 78mbs,

    This is still nowhere near the 150 i expected. The USB adaptors are
    300mb throughput but the thompson is 150 so its not taking advantage
    there right away. Also, i cannot switch off b/g, I can set it to only
    b, or only g, but if i want n it has to be b/g/n.

    The other thing is its operating on 2.4ghz. N works at 5ghz huh but i
    cannot change this at the router.

    What can i do. Im not happy with the router full stop as ive found out
    its got some serious vulnerabilities. Would my best bet be to get a
    new router that works only on N (i simply dont want/need b or g) and
    also one that operates at 5ghz (bluetooth, microwaves, cordless phones
    etc etc all run at 2.4).

    Or is there anything elsei can do? If i change the channel the router
    comes up at 130mb but this drops quickly to 24 or something.

    Help :)

    Tam
    Tam, Mar 28, 2010

  2. Hi
    The 802.11n uses the same power as 802.11g. It advantage is some the Multi
    Antenna arrangement.
    If there is something that Kills/Reduces the signal in the environment it
    would be the same for both.
    Try to change the Wireless Router's transmission Channel, and play with its
    location (higher and toward center room better).
    In addition you should know that the rated "Speed" of Wireless is Nowhere
    near the working "Speed".
    http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 29, 2010

  3. Tam

    Tam Guest

    On Mar 29, 12:02 am, "Jack [MVP-Networking]"
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > The 802.11n uses the same power as 802.11g.  It advantage is some the Multi
    > Antenna arrangement.
    > If there is something that Kills/Reduces the signal in the environment it
    > would be the same for both.
    > Try to change the Wireless Router's transmission Channel, and play with its
    > location (higher and toward center room better).
    > In addition you should know that the rated "Speed" of Wireless is Nowhere
    > near the working "Speed".http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Tam" <> wrote in message

    > >I am using a Thompson adsl/wireless TG585n for my internet access. As
    > > its capable of the newer "N" network I went and purchased three TP-
    > > Link TL-WN821 USB adaptors.

    > > However i simply cannot get it to connect at a good enough speed. Or
    > > range. This hasnt increased a single foot. In a room three rooms away
    > > from the router i get one bar on G and one bar on N. Its meant to
    > > increase surely.

    > > When i use the internal "G" on my laptop (and pc) i can connect at a
    > > steady 54mbs. With the adaptor im lucky to get 13mbs. Now ive been
    > > told that *all* devices on the network should be "N" and not mix and
    > > match with "G" so part of this process was to disable all internal
    > > network devices (two laptops and one main PC) running on "G".

    > > No difference, especially the laptop though I have had the PC
    > > connecting at 78mbs,

    > > This is still nowhere near the 150 i expected. The USB adaptors are
    > > 300mb throughput but the thompson is 150 so its not taking advantage
    > > there right away. Also, i cannot switch off b/g, I can set it to only
    > > b, or only g, but if i want n it has to be b/g/n.

    > > The other thing is its operating on 2.4ghz. N works at 5ghz huh but i
    > > cannot change this at the router.

    > > What can i do. Im not happy with the router full stop as ive found out
    > > its got some serious vulnerabilities. Would my best bet be to get a
    > > new router that works only on N (i simply dont want/need b or g) and
    > > also one that operates at 5ghz (bluetooth, microwaves, cordless phones
    > > etc etc all run at 2.4).

    > > Or is there anything elsei can do? If i change the channel the router
    > > comes up at 130mb but this drops quickly to 24 or something.

    > > Help :)

    > > Tam

    Sure, thanks, I was aware of most of that but being reminded helped.
    My problem is I need, to stream a lot of files... example being my
    xbox connecting to my media player allowing me to watch movies etc on
    the big tv. However wireless transmission speeds simply wont allow
    this (scrap £70 for microsoft wireless adaptor, ebay is getting it,
    Problem solved by plugging in the xbox to my pc using the RJ45. I
    bridge the wireless connection which also allows connection to live).

    Its a real pain. For instance i can transfer a movie in around 20 mins
    between laptops wirelessly. I cant stream it as it jerks... yet surely
    it takes 90 mins or so to stream a movie that can transfer in a 1/5 of
    that time. The wireless to wireless simply isnt good enough,
    especially for streaming media.

    They just havent got wireless right yet, at least, not for punishing
    it the way I'm trying to do.

    Thanks for your help.

    Tam
    Tam, Mar 30, 2010
  4. Hi
    Wireless (WIFI) was invented for people who use laptop to be able without
    wires when doing simple Jobs out of the Office.
    Look at it as a MiniCooper Vehicle. It is Not possible to convert/use a
    MiniCooper to the work of a Bulldozer.
    I do not know what would be the solution (if any) to use Wireless at home as
    a total replacement for wires. The Air is already full of signals that
    heavily interfere one with the other, and for the near future it is not
    going to get better.
    Right the solution is installing a grid of multiple Access Points connecting
    between themselves with wires, and using as much as possible wire
    connections for demanding devices is the. It is costly but it provides
    better service.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 30, 2010