Interference from USB2.0 PCI card

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mlv, Nov 11, 2007.

  1. mlv

    mlv Guest

    I have a fairly old but reliable homebuilt computer: Gigabyte GA-BX2000+
    motherboard, Intel 440BX AGP chipset, Intel Pentium III processor 600MHz.

    I have spent a lot of time recently trying to track down the source of an
    intermittent interference on the sound from my speakers when playing music.
    The interference is a 'crackly, buzzing' noise, typical of RFI. The
    soundcard is a Creative Sound Blaster Live Player 1024. Although I've owned
    the computer for several years, the interference is a new problem that
    coincides with a recent makeover, when I added a few bits and upgraded from
    Windows 2000 Pro. to Windows XP SP2.

    Today I finally found the problem. I was listening to some music that was
    playing perfectly without any sign of the interference, when I plugged in
    one of my USB2.0 memory sticks. The interference started immediately and
    didn't stop until I had removed the USB2.0 memory stick.

    As part of the recent makeover, I had installed a 4-port external + 1 port
    internal USB2.0 PCI card in the PCI slot adjacent to the Sound Blaster
    soundcard. Obviously the soundcard is picking up interference from the
    USB2.0 card. The USB2.0 card is unbranded, but carries the references:
    KT2074 & VT6202.

    I have temporarily resolved the interference problem by moving the soundcard
    to PCI slot 2 and the USB2.0 card to PCI slot 6.

    My questions are:

    1. Is this type of interference from USB2.0 PCI cards a common problem?

    2. Should I be buying a better (branded) USB2.0 PCI card with more
    effective screening and if so, which one?

    3..Is my 'noisy' USB2.0 PCI card likely to cause problems with other PCI
    cards, such as the Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet card I am about to
    install?

    Any advice appreciated.
    --
    Mike