    (Linksys Wireless-G with SRX, D-Link SuperG with MIMO and something
    coming out from Netgear). The reviews I've read say they work at least
    reasonably well. OK. I've got two basic questions.

    #1 -- How do they affect the OTHER DEVICES? Like my cordless phones?
    Will these more powerful routers just drown out the signal to my
    cordless phones so I can't use them properly? ALL of our phones are
    cordless, and we use Vonage for our long distance, so increasing
    interference on our cordless phones would be a disaster.

    #2 -- Will we see a significant improvement with one of these new
    routers even if we kept our existing 802.11g "cards" (some Linksys pc
    cards), one Linksys PCI card, one Linksys USB adapter, one 3Com pc
    card)? I'm less interested in improving throughput than I am
    eliminating dead spots, improving signal strength and reducing
    interference. Would I have to buy new adapters TOO to realize those
    benefits?

    Thanks for any information.
    WC
    WCH, Mar 8, 2005

  2. WCH wrote:
    > I've got a 802.11g wireless network in my home (Linksys equipment almost
    > entirely) and, while it works pretty well, the range isn't as good as
    > I'd like and it is subject to interference from my 2.4Gig cordless
    > phones, microwave oven and other "usual suspects". I've just read up on
    > the latest group of enhanced wireless routers that supposedly increase
    > range, increase throughput and reduce interference from other sources
    > (Linksys Wireless-G with SRX, D-Link SuperG with MIMO and something
    > coming out from Netgear). The reviews I've read say they work at least
    > reasonably well. OK. I've got two basic questions.
    >
    > #1 -- How do they affect the OTHER DEVICES? Like my cordless phones?
    > Will these more powerful routers just drown out the signal to my
    > cordless phones so I can't use them properly? ALL of our phones are
    > cordless, and we use Vonage for our long distance, so increasing
    > interference on our cordless phones would be a disaster.
    >
    > #2 -- Will we see a significant improvement with one of these new
    > routers even if we kept our existing 802.11g "cards" (some Linksys pc
    > cards), one Linksys PCI card, one Linksys USB adapter, one 3Com pc
    > card)? I'm less interested in improving throughput than I am
    > eliminating dead spots, improving signal strength and reducing
    > interference. Would I have to buy new adapters TOO to realize those
    > benefits?

    The questions would have a better chance of getting a good answer over
    in news:alt.internet.wireless. But there doesn't seem to be any big jump
    in power from these devices, they still have less power than most
    booster or amplifier devices. The claimed range improvement seems to be
    more from intelligent use of signal reflections rather than raw TX/RX
    power. And if you're in an environment that doesn't have reflected
    signals - guess what!

    And just to mention one item, cordless telephone buyers have really been
    led down the primrose path by marketers with that "see, this is higher
    frequency so it's better" crap. A well-designed and built 900MHz phone
    will have better range, better non-line-of-sight usability and won't
    interfere with 2.4GHz networking equipment.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 8, 2005

  3. On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:22:01 -0500, WCH <> wrote:

    >I've got a 802.11g wireless network in my home (Linksys equipment almost
    >entirely) and, while it works pretty well, the range isn't as good as
    >I'd like and it is subject to interference from my 2.4Gig cordless
    >phones, microwave oven and other "usual suspects". I've just read up on
    >the latest group of enhanced wireless routers that supposedly increase
    >range, increase throughput and reduce interference from other sources
    >(Linksys Wireless-G with SRX, D-Link SuperG with MIMO and something
    >coming out from Netgear). The reviews I've read say they work at least
    >reasonably well. OK. I've got two basic questions.
    >
    >#1 -- How do they affect the OTHER DEVICES? Like my cordless phones?
    >Will these more powerful routers just drown out the signal to my
    >cordless phones so I can't use them properly? ALL of our phones are
    >cordless, and we use Vonage for our long distance, so increasing
    >interference on our cordless phones would be a disaster.
    >
    >#2 -- Will we see a significant improvement with one of these new
    >routers even if we kept our existing 802.11g "cards" (some Linksys pc
    >cards), one Linksys PCI card, one Linksys USB adapter, one 3Com pc
    >card)? I'm less interested in improving throughput than I am
    >eliminating dead spots, improving signal strength and reducing
    >interference. Would I have to buy new adapters TOO to realize those
    >benefits?

    You could just replace your cordless phones.

    >Thanks for any information.
    >WC

    Gerry
    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 120,000 groups
    Unlimited download
    Gerry Springer, Mar 9, 2005
  4. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Gerry Springer wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:22:01 -0500, WCH <> wrote:
    >

    >>I've got a 802.11g wireless network in my home (Linksys equipment almost
    >>entirely) and, while it works pretty well, the range isn't as good as
    >>I'd like and it is subject to interference from my 2.4Gig cordless
    >>phones, microwave oven and other "usual suspects". I've just read up on
    >>the latest group of enhanced wireless routers that supposedly increase
    >>range, increase throughput and reduce interference from other sources
    >>(Linksys Wireless-G with SRX, D-Link SuperG with MIMO and something
    >>coming out from Netgear). The reviews I've read say they work at least
    >>reasonably well. OK. I've got two basic questions.
    >>
    >>#1 -- How do they affect the OTHER DEVICES? Like my cordless phones?
    >>Will these more powerful routers just drown out the signal to my
    >>cordless phones so I can't use them properly? ALL of our phones are
    >>cordless, and we use Vonage for our long distance, so increasing
    >>interference on our cordless phones would be a disaster.
    >>
    >>#2 -- Will we see a significant improvement with one of these new
    >>routers even if we kept our existing 802.11g "cards" (some Linksys pc
    >>cards), one Linksys PCI card, one Linksys USB adapter, one 3Com pc
    >>card)? I'm less interested in improving throughput than I am
    >>eliminating dead spots, improving signal strength and reducing
    >>interference. Would I have to buy new adapters TOO to realize those
    >>benefits?

    > You could just replace your cordless phones.

    I've got a VTech 2-line base phone and seven cordless handsets that work
    great except for the interference issue. Not an expense I'm anxious to
    junk.
    WC

    WCH, Mar 9, 2005