    Any ideas?

    Thanks!
    Dugie

    Dugie, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Dugie

    Dave Guest

    what else is around that corner of the house? you add a new cordless phone?
    is it real close to a neighbor who just added a phone or wireless network?
    have you tried turning off the weather station and seeing if the computer
    starts working, maybe it is defective? try changing channels on the
    wireless network and see if that helps.

    "Dugie" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    Recently, wireless works ok from other areas, but Win XP laptop wireless no
    longer connects from one corner of the house.
    A wireless weather station in the same area also stopped working at the same
    time. Previously both had worked well for months.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!
    Dugie

    Dave, Jan 3, 2007

  3. Hi

    Wireless Network signal is very susceptible to Noise and environmental
    changes.

    It might work in a certain location with a marginal signal; it might
    suddenly stop working at that location when the signal slides down in
    strength or quality.

    Marginal signal can Easily become Non Functional with the introduction of
    physical obstacles and electrical interference.

    Changing the Wireless channel might help. The channel is configured in the
    Wireless Router/Access Point, and he best bet are channel 1 or 11.

    Otherwise, you probably need to add Wireless Hardware or change the
    positioning of the current transmitting units to improve the coverage.

    The best Method to Extend Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific
    Environment. Look at these pages, they describe most of the options that are
    within the means of Entry Level users, and choose the one that fits you
    environment best.

    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html Wirelessly

    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 4, 2007
  4. Dugie

    Dugie Guest

    Nothing new has been added near the corner of the house, and the weather station has been turned off.
    When it crashes the laptop, the blue screen of death comes up with error codes. Googling the error codes says it is the wireless adaptor in the laptop. Investigated and checked for any updated drivers etc. all to no avail. It is not the laptop as it works perfectly fine anywhere else.

    Have disconnected anything & everything electrical, replaced the 10 year old microwave, energy saving light bulbs, router, relocated cordless phones, cell phones etc. but no help.
    I'll try changing the channels.

    Thanks,
    Dugie

    Dugie, Jan 5, 2007
  5. Dugie

    Dugie Guest

    Thanks, Jack. I'll try your specific channel suggestions, and check those sites.

    Dugie

    Dugie, Jan 5, 2007
  6. Dugie

    Dave Guest

    a bsod is NOT a normal effect of loss of signal or interference... if that
    is what happens, and only near that corner of the house, then something
    really strange is going on. if your machine crashes anytime it looses
    signal then you have a driver problem.

    Dave, Jan 5, 2007