    Also what is the best practice in setting up the devices speed(ethernet and
    serial).
    Thanks a lot, Calin

    Tester, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Tester

    Fred Guest

    easy:
    look at the leds
    10/100
    fdx
    to know if your switch/router operate at 10 or 100 Mbits/s and if the link
    is full duplex
    to set it up, see the speed configuration command

    V8SPb.2583$...

    Fred, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Tester

    shope Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > easy:
    > look at the leds
    > 10/100
    > fdx
    > to know if your switch/router operate at 10 or 100 Mbits/s and if the link
    > is full duplex
    > to set it up, see the speed configuration command
    >
    > "Tester" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > V8SPb.2583$...
    > > Hi there,
    > > Gow would I go about finding interfaces speed on Cisco, 3Com, etc
    > > devices(switches, hubs, routers)a, any programs that do this? How woud I
    > > know if it is full duplex, etc? A show int does not seem to show it.
    > > Also what is the best practice in setting up the devices speed(ethernet

    > and
    > > serial).

    the interface mib in SNMP MIB-2 should give you the speed, where the device
    knows what that is, and if you can get at it. On a cisco you can look at the
    interface status using the command line.

    e.g. on a cisco router, the mib should give the operating speed on a 10/100
    ethernet port.

    however, a lot of devices dont have a way to figure out the speed of a
    serial port since this depends on the device providing clock and isnt
    reported to the router - usually that defaults to 1.5 M or 64k, depnding on
    code level and so on - the config may need to be manually set to get this
    right.

    Duplex is harder, but there are interface type specific mibs that hold stuff
    like this.

    1 other thing - SNMP MIBs are traditionally not thoroughly tested - dont be
    surprised if the info SNMP tells you doesnt agree with other sources - often
    the SNMP is the wrong bit.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Jan 22, 2004