    server to find out if you have access permission. The list of servers for
    this workgroup is currently not available.â€

    I don’t know what this means. Can you help me solve this problem?

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmU=?=, Oct 1, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2hhbmU=?=

    Malke Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > I recently purchased a notebook and I want it to network with my
    > desktop. I have Shaw high-speed cable connection to the internet. I
    > thought I did what was required on each computer to make them
    > interface with one-another but I’m still unable to transfer data etc.
    > from one to the other.
    >
    > I have gone to My Network Places and have clicked: “view workgroup
    > computers†and I get this response: “Contact the administrator of
    > this
    > server to find out if you have access permission. The list of servers
    > for this workgroup is currently not available.â€
    >
    > I don’t know what this means. Can you help me solve this problem?

    The easiest way to share the Internet and files is to buy a wireless
    router. Then set up your home network by running the Network Setup
    Wizard on both machines.

    Otherwise, you need a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two
    computers and to set up Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Oct 1, 2005

  3. I have experienced the same problem as Shane. I have desktop running XP Pro
    and laptop running XP home. Desktop is connected to internet through a DLink
    router. Laptop can connect to internet through the router (gateway). Have run
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers but get the same message that Shane
    received when I try to view computers on the network. As with most issues the
    solution is probably simple but I am seeking assistance in having my laptop
    communicate with the desktop and vice versa.Any guidance would be appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbG8=?=, Oct 2, 2005