Interface errors

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Alex Turtois, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. Alex Turtois

    Alex Turtois Guest

    Hi All,

    I'd assume this router has a faulty ethernet interface, what does
    experts say?

    Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
    250630345 packets input, 907360465 bytes, 6261 no buffer
    Received 230027406 broadcasts, 0 runts, 876 giants, 1431138
    throttles
    669130 input errors, 218 CRC, 668036 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0
    abort
    48160333 packets output, 1326134205 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 90025 deferred
    1 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

    Thanks,
    Alex

    Alex Turtois, Jun 23, 2006

  2. Alex Turtois

    Guest

    Alex Turtois wrote:
    > I'd assume this router has a faulty ethernet interface, what does
    > experts say?
    >
    > Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
    > 5 minute input rate 81000 bits/sec, 71 packets/sec
    > 5 minute output rate 1000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec
    > 250630345 packets input, 907360465 bytes, 6261 no buffer
    > Received 230027406 broadcasts, 0 runts, 876 giants, 1431138
    > throttles
    > 669130 input errors, 218 CRC, 668036 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0
    > abort
    > 0 input packets with dribble condition detected
    > 48160333 packets output, 1326134205 bytes, 0 underruns
    > 685 output errors, 846589 collisions, 2 interface resets
    > 0 babbles, 0 late collision, 90025 deferred
    > 1 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
    > 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

    Not necessarily faulty at all.

    The most critical thing is to establish when these various
    event counters recorded the events. They may be historic
    and of no current interest.

    Clear counters

    Start again.

    If the interesting counters record anything please post
    the whole of the "sh int" output and the model of the router
    "sh ver". Some idea of how busy the interface is supposed
    to be would be good.

    sh int x
    sh ver
    sh interface switching
    sh interface stats
    sh run int x

    Assuming that the config on the interface or any connected device
    has not been changed then:-

    > Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops

    No drops this is good.

    > 5 minute input rate 81000 bits/sec, 71 packets/sec
    > 5 minute output rate 1000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec

    Low utilisation at present.
    > 250630345 packets input, 907360465 bytes, 6261 no buffer

    A few no buffer 6 in 250,000 or 1 in 50000.
    You may be able to fix this with buffer tuning.

    > Received 230027406 broadcasts, 0 runts, 876 giants, 1431138
    > throttles

    0.5% throttles. This indicates that the router has been
    overwhelmed with traffic. You need to make sure that you are
    "Fast Switching" i.e. one of Fast/CEF/NetFlow
    If you are then you need to reduce the traffic or get a biger router.

    > 669130 input errors, 218 CRC, 668036 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0
    > abort

    These may be OK or they may indicate that you have
    a duplex missmatch.
    > 0 input packets with dribble condition detected
    > 48160333 packets output, 1326134205 bytes, 0 underruns
    > 685 output errors, 846589 collisions, 2 interface resets
    > 0 babbles, 0 late collision, 90025 deferred

    Collisions and deferred are OK. A few output errors. It doesn't
    say here what they are.

    Basically if this is a corporate backbone there is an issue
    but if it is for a bit of internet access then it will be OK
    as it is but could be improved.

    The biggest problem seems to be the routers basic
    load capacity. I would retain the Half Duplex to try
    to save it from even more traffic.

    If the router is a small one and the link is 100M you could
    reduce it to 10M which may save the router from being
    overwhelmed.

    If you want advice on buffer tuning post sh mem (the first few
    lines only) and sh buff.

    , Jun 23, 2006

  3. Alex Turtois

    lAwBoY

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2006
    Messages:
    15
    i do understand that if the router fastethernet is set to half duplex
    and switch is set to full duplex... it will gerenated alot of collsion and errors,
    but as a user, how will it affect the end user....

    what i learn it that full duplex is a two way traffic
    half duplex is a 1 way traffic

    if a full duplex Router device is connected to a half duplex Switch device.. does that mean that if the switch is tranmiting data to the router... then router cannot transmit to the switch???

    lAwBoY, Aug 16, 2006