Interface conflict between two compoters on home network: Please hlep

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John Butler, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    I have a wireless network which links to my PC to my laptop when I bring the latter home to the Netgear Router attached to my home PC and share printers and also access the internet via a cable modem attached to the router.

    My set up is working OK but in the Event Log of System I frequently get a red cross and the following error message

    Event 4321

    The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.0.3. The machine with the IP address 192.168.0.2 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

    I assume that this a conflict between the PC 192.168.0.2 and the laptop 192.169.0.3, as the router is 192.168.0.1. Is there anything I can do to stop this error occurring? [I have looked at the advice in MS help but the answers in short is don't bother, it is to complicated.]

    John
     
    John Butler, Dec 8, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John Butler

    Malke Guest

    John Butler wrote:

    > I have a wireless network which links to my PC to my laptop when I
    > bring the latter home to the Netgear Router attached to my home PC and
    > share printers and also access the internet via a cable modem attached
    > to the router.
    >
    > My set up is working OK but in the Event Log of System I frequently
    > get a red cross and the following error message
    >
    > Event 4321
    >
    > The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with
    > IP address 192.168.0.3. The machine with the IP address 192.168.0.2
    > did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.
    >
    > I assume that this a conflict between the PC 192.168.0.2 and the
    > laptop 192.169.0.3, as the router is 192.168.0.1. Is there anything I
    > can do to stop this error occurring? [I have looked at the advice in
    > MS help but the answers in short is don't bother, it is to
    > complicated.]
    >
    > John


    Here's the question - Does your laptop have to have a static IP address
    like that? Is this a work laptop and is the static IP necessary?
    Because what is happening is that both computers are on different
    subnets. If you don't have to have a static IP, then just set it to
    automatic and you won't have any problems connecting to any other
    networks.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Dec 8, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    Malke,

    Sounds like a good answer but I need some more guidance. In the Netgear
    MR8402 settings the pages for the IP address are dynamically assigned but
    the mac addresses are the same.

    What more should I do?

    John
    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > John Butler wrote:
    >
    >> I have a wireless network which links to my PC to my laptop when I
    >> bring the latter home to the Netgear Router attached to my home PC and
    >> share printers and also access the internet via a cable modem attached
    >> to the router.
    >>
    >> My set up is working OK but in the Event Log of System I frequently
    >> get a red cross and the following error message
    >>
    >> Event 4321
    >>
    >> The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with
    >> IP address 192.168.0.3. The machine with the IP address 192.168.0.2
    >> did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.
    >>
    >> I assume that this a conflict between the PC 192.168.0.2 and the
    >> laptop 192.169.0.3, as the router is 192.168.0.1. Is there anything I
    >> can do to stop this error occurring? [I have looked at the advice in
    >> MS help but the answers in short is don't bother, it is to
    >> complicated.]
    >>
    >> John

    >
    > Here's the question - Does your laptop have to have a static IP address
    > like that? Is this a work laptop and is the static IP necessary?
    > Because what is happening is that both computers are on different
    > subnets. If you don't have to have a static IP, then just set it to
    > automatic and you won't have any problems connecting to any other
    > networks.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
     
    John Butler, Dec 8, 2004
    #3
  4. John Butler

    Malke Guest

    John Butler wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > Sounds like a good answer but I need some more guidance. In the
    > Netgear MR8402 settings the pages for the IP address are dynamically
    > assigned but the mac addresses are the same.


    The mac addresses don't change - they go with the hardware. I don't
    quite know what you mean by "pages for the IP address". What you should
    be looking at is on the laptop, not the router. On the laptop, go to
    your Local Area Network connection, right-click it and take Properties.
    Then look at the Properties for TCP/IP. You'll have a choice of whether
    to assign IP addresses automatically or statically. Unless you have to
    have a static IP address on the laptop for work, choose the automatic
    option.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Dec 8, 2004
    #4
  5. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    Malke,

    Thank you for your help.

    By pages I meant the net pages that I see when I access the router on
    192.168.0.1 to configure it.

    I have looked at my Laptop Properties for TCP/IP and set it to automatic. I
    will see if this fixed the problem at start of this thread.

    May be there is another cause:. Normally I use a fast 4Mbps cable connection
    and I know that occasionally the ISP drops the connection, because while I
    am running an application which is using the Internet occasionally I get a
    popup which shows that it has switched to my backup connection, which is a
    cheap 512K ADSL because it has a low free use threshold. The wireless
    network cannot access this connection which is USB directly into my
    workstation.
    If your fix does not cure my problem, do you think this could this be a
    cause of the error messages?

    John
    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > John Butler wrote:
    >
    >> Malke,
    >>
    >> Sounds like a good answer but I need some more guidance. In the
    >> Netgear MR8402 settings the pages for the IP address are dynamically
    >> assigned but the mac addresses are the same.

    >
    > The mac addresses don't change - they go with the hardware. I don't
    > quite know what you mean by "pages for the IP address". What you should
    > be looking at is on the laptop, not the router. On the laptop, go to
    > your Local Area Network connection, right-click it and take Properties.
    > Then look at the Properties for TCP/IP. You'll have a choice of whether
    > to assign IP addresses automatically or statically. Unless you have to
    > have a static IP address on the laptop for work, choose the automatic
    > option.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
     
    John Butler, Dec 9, 2004
    #5
  6. John Butler

    Malke Guest

    John Butler wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > By pages I meant the net pages that I see when I access the router on
    > 192.168.0.1 to configure it.
    >
    > I have looked at my Laptop Properties for TCP/IP and set it to
    > automatic. I will see if this fixed the problem at start of this
    > thread.
    >
    > May be there is another cause:. Normally I use a fast 4Mbps cable
    > connection and I know that occasionally the ISP drops the connection,
    > because while I
    > am running an application which is using the Internet occasionally I
    > get a popup which shows that it has switched to my backup connection,
    > which is a
    > cheap 512K ADSL because it has a low free use threshold. The wireless
    > network cannot access this connection which is USB directly into my
    > workstation.
    > If your fix does not cure my problem, do you think this could this be
    > a cause of the error messages?
    >

    Certainly. You shouldn't be losing your cable connection like that. Talk
    to your cable provider. You might need a new cable modem or there could
    be a problem with the line.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Dec 9, 2004
    #6
  7. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    Malke

    I think that your solution has fixed the problem any way today. However,I
    will take this up with my ISP [blueyonder.co.uk]. I know they have been
    making some big tech changes to increase speed last weekend which could be
    part of the problem.

    Many thanks again.

    BTW
    Are you by any chance a Sci-Fi fan? There was a brilliant Xworld Ambassador
    called Malke in Frank Herbert's "God Emperor of Dune" saga which I still
    read again from time to time.

    John

    IT FRSS
     
    John Butler, Dec 9, 2004
    #7
  8. John Butler

    Malke Guest

    John Butler wrote:

    > Malke
    >
    > I think that your solution has fixed the problem any way today.
    > However,I will take this up with my ISP [blueyonder.co.uk]. I know
    > they have been making some big tech changes to increase speed last
    > weekend which could be part of the problem.
    >
    > Many thanks again.
    >
    > BTW
    > Are you by any chance a Sci-Fi fan? There was a brilliant Xworld
    > Ambassador called Malke in Frank Herbert's "God Emperor of Dune" saga
    > which I still read again from time to time.
    >
    > John
    >
    > IT FRSS


    I'm glad things are working. The problem could just have been the
    automatic IP address. It never hurts to check with the ISP, though.
    There have been times when I've spent an hour troubleshooting my
    network just to discover there was an outage in the area. Doh!

    Yes, I love Sci-Fi, although Malke is my real name. It means "Queen" in
    Hebrew. Which is as it should be. ;-)

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Dec 9, 2004
    #8
  9. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    Malke

    When I set up the router I used the addresses as below (I have x'd the MAC
    addresses for security)
    Attached Devices

    # IP Address Device Name MAC Address
    1 192.168.0.2 LAPTOP x
    2 192.168.0.3 COPSEHILL x




    I am still left with a small irritant. From time to time I get the error
    message given below in Event Viewer\System. Is it because I put the IP
    addresses in the wrong order or is just something that does not matter?

    The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on
    transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{604888D3-8C69-4A9E-9349-1187B9614E17}. The
    backup browser is stopping.



    John



    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > John Butler wrote:
    >
    >> Malke
    >>
    >> I think that your solution has fixed the problem any way today.
    >> However,I will take this up with my ISP [blueyonder.co.uk]. I know
    >> they have been making some big tech changes to increase speed last
    >> weekend which could be part of the problem.
    >>
    >> Many thanks again.
    >>
    >> BTW
    >> Are you by any chance a Sci-Fi fan? There was a brilliant Xworld
    >> Ambassador called Malke in Frank Herbert's "God Emperor of Dune" saga
    >> which I still read again from time to time.
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> IT FRSS

    >
    > I'm glad things are working. The problem could just have been the
    > automatic IP address. It never hurts to check with the ISP, though.
    > There have been times when I've spent an hour troubleshooting my
    > network just to discover there was an outage in the area. Doh!
    >
    > Yes, I love Sci-Fi, although Malke is my real name. It means "Queen" in
    > Hebrew. Which is as it should be. ;-)
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
     
    John Butler, Dec 11, 2004
    #9
  10. John Butler

    Malke Guest

    John Butler wrote:

    > Malke
    >
    > When I set up the router I used the addresses as below (I have x'd the
    > MAC addresses for security)
    > Attached Devices
    >
    > # IP Address Device Name MAC Address
    > 1 192.168.0.2 LAPTOP x
    > 2 192.168.0.3 COPSEHILL x
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I am still left with a small irritant. From time to time I get the
    > error message given below in Event Viewer\System. Is it because I put
    > the IP addresses in the wrong order or is just something that does not
    > matter?
    >
    > The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many
    > times on transport
    > \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{604888D3-8C69-4A9E-9349-1187B9614E17}. The backup
    > browser is stopping.


    I'm not sure it should matter, but I think I'd put the desktop on
    192.168.0.2 instead. It sounds like your laptop is trying to find the
    browse master, possibly from your work environment. Leave the Computer
    Browser service running on the desktop and try disabling it on the
    laptop. If someone else has a better idea, I'm sure they'll be along in
    a moment!

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
     
    Malke, Dec 11, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrea
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    886
    Andrea
    Apr 19, 2004
  2. marti314
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,130
    Walter Roberson
    Aug 5, 2005
  3. pspeck

    hlep please.

    pspeck, Sep 21, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    551
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Sep 21, 2003
  4. opencafe networks
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    627
    opencafe networks
    Apr 28, 2004
  5. Tony

    Need hlep with PCAywhere please

    Tony, Jun 1, 2004, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    411
    Chris
    Jun 4, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page