    Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.

    Not supported....

    Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    steve, Dec 26, 2006

  2. In message <>, steve wrote:

    > Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >
    > Not supported....
    >
    > Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    Yes, but they don't buy any new software or hardware.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2006

  3. steve

    Rob Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >
    > Not supported....
    >
    > Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media player only
    works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are just as bad as MS
    when it comes to only releasing new software for the latest versioins of
    their operating systems.

    Rob, Dec 26, 2006
  4. On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:42:01 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >
    > Not supported....
    >
    > Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    And it's only 3 releases behind the most recent one available to
    "consumers".

    But given that not even M$ is supporting WinNt5.0 any more and WinNT5.1 is
    about to be replaced with WinNT6.0...

    Ever wondered why Micro$oft always takes so many attempts to actually
    release useable software?

    Micro$oft took 3 attempts to produce Win3.x (lets not count the previous
    versions which are best forgotten about), 3 attempts to get Win4.0 right,
    2 attempts to get Win4.1 right, 4 attempts to get WinNT4 right, only
    released one version of WinNT5.0 - quickly followed by 3 attempts to
    get WinNT5.1 right.

    How many versions of M$ Vi$ta will be released before it's settled down?

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    MS Windows Vista - broken by design
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 26, 2006
  5. steve

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Dec 26, 2006
  6. steve

    Earl Grey Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >>
    >> Not supported....
    >>
    >> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.
    >>

    > MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media player only
    > works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are just as bad as MS
    > when it comes to only releasing new software for the latest versioins of
    > their operating systems.

    And not releasing them for linux at all !!!
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!!!

    Earl Grey, Dec 26, 2006
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >>
    >> Not supported....
    >>
    >> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    > Yes, but they don't buy any new software or hardware.

    .....and can't.

    steve, Dec 26, 2006
  8. steve

    steve Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >>
    >> Not supported....
    >>
    >> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    > MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media player only
    > works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are just as bad as MS
    > when it comes to only releasing new software for the latest versioins of
    > their operating systems.

    I found it interesting because I resurrected an old video-capture device
    (Pinnacle PCTV USB) that works perfectly well....but isn't supported on
    WinXP. But it runs REALLY well on a PIII-866 with 384MB of RAM.....a
    much more powerful machine than it was intended for in 1998/9.

    So I had to install Win98SE fresh....and apply the updates and locate
    the drivers for the various bits of hardware (video, sound, mouse, ZIP
    drive, DVD drive)

    It's all set up now and being a fresh and simple install for a specific
    purpose, it's reasonably stable. It may only crash two or three times in
    a given session of video composing, but I save the projects often and
    the re-boots typically take less than 1 minute.

    But it has been interesting to discover what I can NOT install on it....

    steve, Dec 26, 2006
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> "steve" <> wrote in message
    >>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >>>
    >>> Not supported....
    >>>
    >>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.
    >>>

    >> MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media
    >> player only works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are
    >> just as bad as MS when it comes to only releasing new software for the
    >> latest versioins of their operating systems.
    >>

    > And not releasing them for linux at all !!!
    > Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!!!

    They don't have to.

    WINE sees the major MS apps (Office, in particular) running just fine on
    Linux.

    steve, Dec 26, 2006
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.

    > Omigod
    >>
    >> Not supported....

    > The last version to work on 9x was released on 09/06/05
    > http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime652forwindows.html
    >>
    >> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    > And the old version of Quicktime.

    Where can you get that from? Apple didn't appear to offer it.

    steve, Dec 26, 2006
  11. steve

    Earl Grey Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.

    >> Omigod
    >>>
    >>> Not supported....

    >> The last version to work on 9x was released on 09/06/05
    >> http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime652forwindows.html
    >>>
    >>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    >> And the old version of Quicktime.

    > Where can you get that from? Apple didn't appear to offer it.

    If you click on the link above, then click on the link where it says
    file size 23MB it should start downloading.
    I take it you are new to downloading from the intarweb

    Earl Grey, Dec 26, 2006
  12. steve

    Earl Grey Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>> "steve" <> wrote in message

    >>> MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media
    >>> player only works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are
    >>> just as bad as MS when it comes to only releasing new software for
    >>> the latest versioins of their operating systems.
    >>>

    >> And not releasing them for linux at all !!!
    >> Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!!!

    > They don't have to.
    >
    > WINE sees the major MS apps (Office, in particular) running just fine on
    > Linux.

    Pity your video dongle thing isn't running on WINE then
    Heres another win9x qt player
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/quicktime_alternative_qt6.cfm

    Earl Grey, Dec 26, 2006
  13. In message <>, steve wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >>>
    >>> Not supported....
    >>>
    >>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    >> Yes, but they don't buy any new software or hardware.

    > ....and can't.

    They could have, before. They can't, now.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2006
  14. In message <>, steve wrote:

    > I found it interesting because I resurrected an old video-capture device
    > (Pinnacle PCTV USB) that works perfectly well....but isn't supported on
    > WinXP.

    Yup. No revenue in bringing out updated Dimdows drivers for an old product.
    Just as you won't be able to get Vista-compatible drivers for hardware you
    may have already bought to work with XP. That's the reality of the
    closed-source business model.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2006
  15. steve

    Rob S Guest

    www.oldversion.com

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/

    Remaining time multiplied by distress is constant.

    Rob S, Dec 26, 2006
  16. steve

    Rob S Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >>>
    >>> Not supported....
    >>>
    >>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    >> Yes, but they don't buy any new software or hardware.

    > ....and can't.

    and why shouldthey be able to? Lots of people run old cars which you
    cannot get new parts for.

    Every company has to make the decision on when to stop providing new
    bits or support for old products.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/

    The programmer's national anthem is 'AAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHH!!'.

    Rob S, Dec 26, 2006
  17. In article <>,
    says...
    > Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >
    > Not supported....
    >
    > Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    <shrug> - the [free] version of quicktime is a pita anyhow (can't comment on
    the paid version). I for one can't stand it and I use some other software that
    plays the files and doesn't stuff around.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 26, 2006
  18. steve

    impossible Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Earl Grey wrote:

    >> And not releasing them for linux at all !!!
    >> Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!!!

    > They don't have to.
    >
    > WINE sees the major MS apps (Office, in particular) running just
    > fine on Linux.

    Just fine, you say? As WINE HQ candidly explains on their site: "Wine
    is not complete at this time, so some of each programs' features may
    not work. They will in time as more of the MS Windows API calls are
    included in Wine." At this point, they've just beginning to catch up
    with Office 2003, but users of Office XP regularly report trouble as
    well. For a more reliable version that is supposed to handle "most"
    Office XP and 2003 operations, they refer you to their US$69.95
    proprietary application, CrossOver Office. WINE, after all, is in
    perepetual beta -- 13 years now and counting -- and while you may rate
    its performance as "just fine", those with needs and expectations in
    that class would be better off just grabbing a copy of OpenOffice
    instead.

    impossible, Dec 26, 2006
  19. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >
    > Not supported....
    >
    > Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

    Try installing google-earth on RH5.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Dec 26, 2006
  20. In message <>, Enkidu wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
    >>
    >> Not supported....
    >>
    >> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.
    >>

    > Try installing google-earth on RH5.

    How hard would it be? Probably need some updated libraries, possibly even an
    updated kernel, and Bob's your uncle.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2006