Interesting use of phone camera & app?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Mar 1, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.

    Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.

    I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    were building their own library.

    Not finding all that I wanted at the first Goodwill, I went to another
    one after stopping for lunch. The same three guys came in and started
    doing the same thing.

    My Goodwill mission was to buy some cheap tripods. I've got a
    table-top photography project in mind, and wanted the tripods to use
    as light stands. I bought three and bolted a plate on each and use
    those Home Depot reflector work lights clipped to the plate.

    The tripods are light and easy to move around, the plate is adjustable
    in angle and height, and the tripods fold up for storage. I've got
    $12 total in the three of them.

    Not as fancy as Alan Browne's kit, but functional and cheap.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Mar 1, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/1/2012 4:00 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    > interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >
    > Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    > shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    > some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    > received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    > numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    > they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >
    > I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    > some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    > Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    > were building their own library.
    >
    > Not finding all that I wanted at the first Goodwill, I went to another
    > one after stopping for lunch. The same three guys came in and started
    > doing the same thing.
    >
    > My Goodwill mission was to buy some cheap tripods. I've got a
    > table-top photography project in mind, and wanted the tripods to use
    > as light stands. I bought three and bolted a plate on each and use
    > those Home Depot reflector work lights clipped to the plate.
    >
    > The tripods are light and easy to move around, the plate is adjustable
    > in angle and height, and the tripods fold up for storage. I've got
    > $12 total in the three of them.
    >
    > Not as fancy as Alan Browne's kit, but functional and cheap.
    >
    >


    That's a modern variation. I know an antique dealer who would frequent
    Goodwill and Salvation Army stores, looking for antique furniture. He
    would discretely scrape off layers of paint, in a concealed area to
    determine the quality of the wood. More than once he picked up a piece
    for a few bucks, that after restoration, he sold for thousands.

    The store managers were quite aware of his activities and would let him
    know if anything interesting came in. I will not express the obvious
    suspicions.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Mar 1, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tony cooper <> writes:

    > The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    > interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >
    > Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    > shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    > some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    > received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    > numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    > they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >
    > I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    > some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    > Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    > were building their own library.


    Also, the most valuable books predate ISBNs :).
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 1, 2012
    #3
  4. Alan Browne <> writes:

    > On 2012-03-01 16:00 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    >> interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >>
    >> Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    >> shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    >> some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    >> received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    >> numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    >> they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >>
    >> I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    >> some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    >> Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    >> were building their own library.

    >
    > There are apps that scan barcodes and return titles and prices and
    > such. There are apps that build inventories from barcodes. I haven't
    > found a satisfactory one (for free) to catalog my CD's, DVD's and
    > books. I may just fork out the $60 or so for one at some point.
    >
    > In the case above I would have simply asked what they were up to.
    > "Say, guys, I'm curious...". Maybe that's not a prudent thing to do
    > in some neighborhoods.


    The guys were probably nervous that the Goodwill store staff would be
    upset (though I can't see it; if they choose to put the books out at a
    price, that's their part of the deal, and it's GOOD for somebody to
    choose to buy them).
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
     
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 1, 2012
    #4
  5. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:42:02 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012-03-01 16:00 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    >> interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >>
    >> Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    >> shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    >> some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    >> received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    >> numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    >> they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >>
    >> I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    >> some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    >> Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    >> were building their own library.

    >
    >There are apps that scan barcodes and return titles and prices and such.
    > There are apps that build inventories from barcodes. I haven't found
    >a satisfactory one (for free) to catalog my CD's, DVD's and books. I
    >may just fork out the $60 or so for one at some point.
    >
    >In the case above I would have simply asked what they were up to. "Say,
    >guys, I'm curious...". Maybe that's not a prudent thing to do in some
    >neighborhoods.


    I don't think you would have asked these guys. Definitely unfriendly
    when they saw I was curious. They weren't doing anything wrong, but
    may have thought I wanted to steal their idea.

    They had the wrong idea about me. I would have complimented them for
    their ingenuity.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Mar 2, 2012
    #5
  6. tony cooper

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 1, 5:12 pm, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > Alan Browne <> writes:
    > > On 2012-03-01 16:00 , tony cooper wrote:
    > >> The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    > >> interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.

    >
    > >> Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    > >> shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    > >> some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    > >> received.  It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    > >> numbers.  (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    > >> they were doing)  They had a shopping cart half full of books.

    >
    > >> I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    > >> some distant source to identify such books.  Maybe a book search firm.
    > >> Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    > >> were building their own library.

    >
    > > There are apps that scan barcodes and return titles and prices and
    > > such. There are apps that build inventories from barcodes.  I haven't
    > > found a satisfactory one (for free) to catalog my CD's, DVD's and
    > > books.  I may just fork out the $60 or so for one at some point.

    >
    > > In the case above I would have simply asked what they were up to.
    > > "Say, guys, I'm curious...".  Maybe that's not a prudent thing to do
    > > in some neighborhoods.

    >
    > The guys were probably nervous that the Goodwill store staff would be
    > upset (though I can't see it; if they choose to put the books out at a
    > price, that's their part of the deal, and it's GOOD for somebody to
    > choose to buy them).
    > --


    One interesting thing to look for at these places are company cast-
    offs. Often, you can get outstanding quality large aluminum and glass
    picture frames for peanuts compared to the new price. You can just
    disgard the "attitude" and "positive thinking" propaganda posters
    inside. :)
     
    RichA, Mar 2, 2012
    #6
  7. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    > interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >
    > Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    > shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    > some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    > received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    > numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    > they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >
    > I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    > some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    > Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    > were building their own library.
    >
    > Not finding all that I wanted at the first Goodwill, I went to another
    > one after stopping for lunch. The same three guys came in and started
    > doing the same thing.


    I read about this sort of thing going on in New York the other year and
    heard it has effectively killed good used bookshops. People like that just
    swoop in and take a skim off the resale price. Entrepreneurial maybe but it
    kills everything for everyone else just for a lousy markup. As far as I'm
    concerned people like that are filth like buy-to-let landlords.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge
     
    Charles E. Hardwidge, Mar 2, 2012
    #7
  8. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 15:50:57 -0000, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    >> interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >>
    >> Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    >> shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    >> some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    >> received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    >> numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    >> they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >>
    >> I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    >> some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    >> Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    >> were building their own library.
    >>
    >> Not finding all that I wanted at the first Goodwill, I went to another
    >> one after stopping for lunch. The same three guys came in and started
    >> doing the same thing.

    >
    >I read about this sort of thing going on in New York the other year and
    >heard it has effectively killed good used bookshops. People like that just
    >swoop in and take a skim off the resale price. Entrepreneurial maybe but it
    >kills everything for everyone else just for a lousy markup. As far as I'm
    >concerned people like that are filth like buy-to-let landlords.


    I really don't know what they do, but it would seem to me that they
    would be buying the books at Goodwill and selling them to "good used
    bookshops". Used book stores get a lot of their stock from pickers,
    not just people who bring in personal books.

    If I understand the system correctly, they are *helping* used book
    stores stay in business by finding and supplying them with inventory.

    The pickers wouldn't be selling the books on eBay. The volume and the
    low unit prices would make individual listings and selling on eBay too
    unrewarding. It wouldn't pay for gas.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Mar 2, 2012
    #8
  9. On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, tony cooper wrote:

    > The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    > interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >
    > Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    > shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    > some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    > received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    > numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    > they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >

    They are leeches.

    The concept isn't new, all the people in the used business will pay
    attention to garage sales and book sales. But, they have to have skill,
    know what people will buy, know the value of an item.

    The barcode skimmers don't need to know anything about the value, or the
    item, they are just looking up a list. They don't even have to type in
    the numbers. They just rifle through the items until something rings a
    bell, indicating a high resale value.

    Real book dealers are like anyone else, they go to the bookstores, they
    look at the books, they make a judgement. I can do it too, that book is
    overpriced, it's common, that book I haven't seen in 20 years, this book
    I've never seen before. I'll give this a home because I'm pretty
    certain nobody else coming by will be interested, but once the price
    goes up, I'll be more selective. I'm not reselling, but I certainly know
    the books.

    This is the way the internet fails. It doesn't raise people up, it dumbs
    them down. Some collective mind lets them do things that they wouldn't
    ahve done before, but they havent' changed, they are relying on others to
    do the work.

    This is so common that only a fool would be worried that someone would
    copy them. But they have good reason to worry about Goodwill, since they
    are explotiting the cheap books and making a profit. Why doesn't Goodwill
    start doing the exact same thing, and then raise the prices accordingly,
    or sell them directly to buyers? The problem is, that if you start
    filtering the books at a used book sale or store, then there is less of a
    lure. If the good books are skimmed off before the sale, then I'm not
    going to get up early to go to it. If the prices are raised, to reflect
    "internet prices", then i wont' buy as much. It relies on people to come
    in and buy at the higher prices.

    Books are in an endless supply, and likely will continue that way for a
    long time (one can still buy records at garage sales). If book sales
    raise their prices for the barcode skimmers, then they risk ending up with
    too much stock at the end, something they don't want.

    These idiots aren't doing me a favor, I dont' want them blocking my way as
    they scan books. I have only comtempt for them, and have told them so. I
    want to go to used book sales for the adventure, to find books I've never
    seen before. If I wanted specific books, then I'd pay someone for that
    filtered selection, but I'd also be real careful knowing that idiots with
    barcode readers may be the source of such books.

    Someone pointed out that lots of books don't have a barcode. Which shoes
    the stupidity of all this. The barcode skimmers will go through that
    stack of computer books, hoping to win the jackpot, but there are endless
    books that I rarely or never see, that may be harder to resell, but might
    have a better price. Meanwhile, the used book sales feel they have to
    deal with the barcode skimmers, so they do the same thing, raising prices
    on the books with barcodes. Yet a year ago, at one sale, they were
    discarding a autiobiography by jazz singer Ethel Waters, something I've
    never seen before, surely of value to someone. That same sale, I paid a
    dollar for a an autobiography of Dorothy Day, the pacifist, it was the
    first time in 30 years that I'd seen a copy (and I paid more the first
    time). But the barcode skimmers will never notice, they are illiterate
    when it comes to the actual books. And so are the book sales, they know
    broadly what's valuable, they can price the latest Clive Cussler at a
    higher price than some generic fiction, but unless they pay attention over
    the years (ie volunteers stick around enough to be valuable) they won't
    know how uncommon that Dorothy Day book is, yet will price something
    higher "because the internet says so".

    Michael
     
    Michael Black, Mar 2, 2012
    #9
  10. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:20:17 -0500, Michael Black <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >> The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    >> interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >>
    >> Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    >> shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    >> some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    >> received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    >> numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    >> they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >>

    >They are leeches.
    >
    >The concept isn't new, all the people in the used business will pay
    >attention to garage sales and book sales. But, they have to have skill,
    >know what people will buy, know the value of an item.
    >
    >The barcode skimmers don't need to know anything about the value, or the
    >item, they are just looking up a list. They don't even have to type in
    >the numbers. They just rifle through the items until something rings a
    >bell, indicating a high resale value.


    An interesting viewpoint, but not one that I particularly agree with.

    A line worker making iPads knows nothing about what makes an iPad
    work, the value of an iPad, or the use for one. But, that worker is
    contributing the skill he/she has to the process.

    The result is a product that someone wants, knows what to do with, and
    one that puts money in the pocket of the assembly contractor, Apple,
    Apple employees, app developers, software developers and some end
    users. Without that ignorant line worker, the product doesn't get to
    market.

    The picker in the Goodwill store is earning money and supporting
    himself and his family. The money he earns is spent on food,
    clothing, rent, and other essentials. It flows into the system.

    If you discount the value of every employee or worker who has a
    function in making or distributing a product that he or she is
    ignorant of the value or end-use of, you discount the value of most
    people in the workforce.

    You discount the value of the typesetter, the press operator, the
    bindery worker, the warehouseman, the shipping clerk, and the delivery
    truck driver who don't read the books that they produce and bring to
    market.

    >Real book dealers are like anyone else, they go to the bookstores, they
    >look at the books, they make a judgement.


    I doubt if this is the prevailing practice. Most used book dealers
    are small businesses in the number of employees. They can't be out
    scouring other bookstores for inventory and manning their own stores
    unless they increase their overhead by staffing their store to replace
    them. They can't travel over a wide area because of the costs of road
    trips. The picker system brings the books to them.

    Rare book dealers may be an exception, but the average used book store
    can't follow your model and remain in business.

    >I can do it too, that book is
    >overpriced, it's common, that book I haven't seen in 20 years, this book
    >I've never seen before. I'll give this a home because I'm pretty
    >certain nobody else coming by will be interested, but once the price
    >goes up, I'll be more selective. I'm not reselling, but I certainly know
    >the books.


    You're a hobbyist, then. You don't depend on volume or a varied stock
    of titles. Basically, you're a cherry-picker.

    >This is the way the internet fails. It doesn't raise people up, it dumbs
    >them down. Some collective mind lets them do things that they wouldn't
    >ahve done before, but they havent' changed, they are relying on others to
    >do the work.


    >This is so common that only a fool would be worried that someone would
    >copy them. But they have good reason to worry about Goodwill, since they
    >are explotiting the cheap books and making a profit. Why doesn't Goodwill
    >start doing the exact same thing, and then raise the prices accordingly,
    >or sell them directly to buyers? The problem is, that if you start
    >filtering the books at a used book sale or store, then there is less of a
    >lure. If the good books are skimmed off before the sale, then I'm not
    >going to get up early to go to it. If the prices are raised, to reflect
    >"internet prices", then i wont' buy as much. It relies on people to come
    >in and buy at the higher prices.
    >
    >Books are in an endless supply, and likely will continue that way for a
    >long time (one can still buy records at garage sales). If book sales
    >raise their prices for the barcode skimmers, then they risk ending up with
    >too much stock at the end, something they don't want.
    >
    >These idiots aren't doing me a favor, I dont' want them blocking my way as
    >they scan books. I have only comtempt for them, and have told them so. I
    >want to go to used book sales for the adventure, to find books I've never
    >seen before. If I wanted specific books, then I'd pay someone for that
    >filtered selection, but I'd also be real careful knowing that idiots with
    >barcode readers may be the source of such books.


    So you're a dilettante that is annoyed when someone making their
    living in the only way that may be available to them slows down your
    cherry-picking.

    >Someone pointed out that lots of books don't have a barcode. Which shoes
    >the stupidity of all this. The barcode skimmers will go through that
    >stack of computer books, hoping to win the jackpot, but there are endless
    >books that I rarely or never see, that may be harder to resell, but might
    >have a better price. Meanwhile, the used book sales feel they have to
    >deal with the barcode skimmers, so they do the same thing, raising prices
    >on the books with barcodes. Yet a year ago, at one sale, they were
    >discarding a autiobiography by jazz singer Ethel Waters, something I've
    >never seen before, surely of value to someone. That same sale, I paid a
    >dollar for a an autobiography of Dorothy Day, the pacifist, it was the
    >first time in 30 years that I'd seen a copy (and I paid more the first
    >time). But the barcode skimmers will never notice, they are illiterate
    >when it comes to the actual books. And so are the book sales, they know
    >broadly what's valuable, they can price the latest Clive Cussler at a
    >higher price than some generic fiction, but unless they pay attention over
    >the years (ie volunteers stick around enough to be valuable) they won't
    >know how uncommon that Dorothy Day book is, yet will price something
    >higher "because the internet says so".
    >
    > Michael


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Mar 2, 2012
    #10
  11. tony cooper

    Irwell Guest

    On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:20:17 -0500, Michael Black wrote:


    > They are leeches.



    When our local libraries have their discarded book sales,
    there always local book sellers loading up their boxes without
    looking too deeply into the books. They then take the boxes
    over to a quiet area and filter out what they consider will
    be best for them.

    Not quite 'leeches' more like shite-hawks.
     
    Irwell, Mar 2, 2012
    #11
  12. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:04:48 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >> This is so common that only a fool would be worried that someone would
    >> copy them. But they have good reason to worry about Goodwill, since they
    >> are explotiting the cheap books and making a profit. Why doesn't
    >> Goodwill start doing the exact same thing, and then raise the prices
    >> accordingly, or sell them directly to buyers? The problem is, that if

    >
    >They will catch on at some point. But even then the best profit goes to
    >the level above.


    I was chatting with a lady in my camera club about this. She grows
    plants that she sells at a flea market. She finds unusual containers
    for her plants at Goodwill. She knows all the Goodwill and Salvation
    Army stores in town.

    According to her, each Goodwill is different based on the help. If an
    employee (volunteer?) at that store is knowledgeable about a certain
    type of item, that item will be priced higher than it might be at
    another store. She thinks that certain stores set some things aside
    and call certain buyers (like for-profit thrift shops and antique
    shops) to give them first crack. She's upset about the practice, but
    I think she's more upset because she's not on the list to be called.

    There's a whole sub-culture at this level that I never knew existed.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Mar 2, 2012
    #12
  13. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/2/2012 10:50 AM, Charles E. Hardwidge wrote:
    >
    > "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> The other day I stopped by a couple of Goodwill stores and noticed an
    >> interesting use of a phone camera and maybe an app of some sort.
    >>
    >> Three guys with phones were going through the books and some other
    >> shelves photographing title pages of books, and maybe using an app of
    >> some sort, and choosing books to buy based on some return message they
    >> received. It looked like they were photographing or scanning the ISBN
    >> numbers. (They stopped when I moved closer and kinda concealed what
    >> they were doing) They had a shopping cart half full of books.
    >>
    >> I assume they were looking for books with resale value and were using
    >> some distant source to identify such books. Maybe a book search firm.
    >> Frankly, they didn't look like they could read, so I doubt if they
    >> were building their own library.
    >>
    >> Not finding all that I wanted at the first Goodwill, I went to another
    >> one after stopping for lunch. The same three guys came in and started
    >> doing the same thing.

    >
    > I read about this sort of thing going on in New York the other year and
    > heard it has effectively killed good used bookshops. People like that just
    > swoop in and take a skim off the resale price. Entrepreneurial maybe but it
    > kills everything for everyone else just for a lousy markup. As far as
    > I'm concerned people like that are filth like buy-to-let landlords.
    >


    And just where would most people live if they couldn't lease apartments,
    (flats.)

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Mar 2, 2012
    #13
  14. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/2/2012 6:32 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:04:48 -0500, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> This is so common that only a fool would be worried that someone would
    >>> copy them. But they have good reason to worry about Goodwill, since they
    >>> are explotiting the cheap books and making a profit. Why doesn't
    >>> Goodwill start doing the exact same thing, and then raise the prices
    >>> accordingly, or sell them directly to buyers? The problem is, that if

    >>
    >> They will catch on at some point. But even then the best profit goes to
    >> the level above.

    >
    > I was chatting with a lady in my camera club about this. She grows
    > plants that she sells at a flea market. She finds unusual containers
    > for her plants at Goodwill. She knows all the Goodwill and Salvation
    > Army stores in town.
    >
    > According to her, each Goodwill is different based on the help. If an
    > employee (volunteer?) at that store is knowledgeable about a certain
    > type of item, that item will be priced higher than it might be at
    > another store. She thinks that certain stores set some things aside
    > and call certain buyers (like for-profit thrift shops and antique
    > shops) to give them first crack. She's upset about the practice, but
    > I think she's more upset because she's not on the list to be called.
    >
    > There's a whole sub-culture at this level that I never knew existed.
    >
    >

    Yup!
    Last year I brought my daughter's decent quality keyboard to the
    Salvation Army. I told the manager what I thought a fair price should
    be. They sold it for that price, but it took a few months.


    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Mar 3, 2012
    #14
  15. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > I was chatting with a lady in my camera club about this. She grows
    > plants that she sells at a flea market. She finds unusual containers
    > for her plants at Goodwill. She knows all the Goodwill and Salvation
    > Army stores in town.
    >
    > According to her, each Goodwill is different based on the help. If an
    > employee (volunteer?) at that store is knowledgeable about a certain
    > type of item, that item will be priced higher than it might be at
    > another store. She thinks that certain stores set some things aside
    > and call certain buyers (like for-profit thrift shops and antique
    > shops) to give them first crack. She's upset about the practice, but
    > I think she's more upset because she's not on the list to be called.


    not only that, but some workers 'buy' it for themselves.

    > There's a whole sub-culture at this level that I never knew existed.


    apparently you don't go to swap meets either.

    when sellers are setting up and well before any buyers are let in, some
    sellers walk around and look for items priced too low. they buy them
    and resell the same items on their tables for a more typical price. on
    occasion, they keep it for themselves.
     
    nospam, Mar 3, 2012
    #15
  16. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 11:01:29 -0800, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I was chatting with a lady in my camera club about this. She grows
    >> plants that she sells at a flea market. She finds unusual containers
    >> for her plants at Goodwill. She knows all the Goodwill and Salvation
    >> Army stores in town.
    >>
    >> According to her, each Goodwill is different based on the help. If an
    >> employee (volunteer?) at that store is knowledgeable about a certain
    >> type of item, that item will be priced higher than it might be at
    >> another store. She thinks that certain stores set some things aside
    >> and call certain buyers (like for-profit thrift shops and antique
    >> shops) to give them first crack. She's upset about the practice, but
    >> I think she's more upset because she's not on the list to be called.

    >
    >not only that, but some workers 'buy' it for themselves.
    >
    >> There's a whole sub-culture at this level that I never knew existed.

    >
    >apparently you don't go to swap meets either.
    >
    >when sellers are setting up and well before any buyers are let in, some
    >sellers walk around and look for items priced too low. they buy them
    >and resell the same items on their tables for a more typical price. on
    >occasion, they keep it for themselves.


    I go to swap meets, but to photograph the people who frequent them. I
    don't really know what goes on between vendors.

    The next swap meet I have on my ca lander to attend is this one:
    http://vintagemotorcyclealliance.com/ I'll look for people and bikes
    as subjects.

    I used to go to the "Turkey Trot" swap meet in November at the race
    track in Daytona. That one's great for vintage cars, car parts, and
    vehicle-related items. It's too crowded now, though, and parking is
    impossible. Last time I went it took me almost an hour to get out of
    the infield parking area, and the 45 minutes to get home.



    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Mar 3, 2012
    #16
  17. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/3/2012 2:12 PM, tony cooper wrote:


    >
    > The next swap meet I have on my ca lander to attend is this one:
    > http://vintagemotorcyclealliance.com/ I'll look for people and bikes
    > as subjects.


    Is that a stripped down version of the moon lander?

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Mar 3, 2012
    #17
  18. tony cooper

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 14:38:08 -0500, PeterN wrote:

    > On 3/3/2012 2:12 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> The next swap meet I have on my ca lander to attend is this one:
    >> http://vintagemotorcyclealliance.com/ I'll look for people and bikes
    >> as subjects.

    >
    > Is that a stripped down version of the moon lander?


    No, the Canaduan version.
     
    Irwell, Mar 3, 2012
    #18
  19. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/3/2012 11:02 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
    > I was chased out of a small fish market once with my camera - presumably
    > on suspicion of scouting their prices for the competition...
    >



    I don't like eating small fish, except sardines.


    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Mar 4, 2012
    #19
  20. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/3/2012 5:53 PM, Irwell wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 14:38:08 -0500, PeterN wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/3/2012 2:12 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>
    >>> The next swap meet I have on my ca lander to attend is this one:
    >>> http://vintagemotorcyclealliance.com/ I'll look for people and bikes
    >>> as subjects.

    >>
    >> Is that a stripped down version of the moon lander?

    >
    > No, the Canaduan version.


    California style?

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Mar 4, 2012
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Doug
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    592
    Robert Bonomi
    Jun 1, 2006
  2. Bruce Sinclair

    Killer App/Nifty App

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 8, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    35
    Views:
    1,240
  3. El Chippy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    802
    Shane
    Apr 16, 2007
  4. panther125

    convert a .net web app to windows app?

    panther125, Dec 19, 2008, in forum: Software
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,593
    ratheeshpkr
    Dec 25, 2008
  5. john
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    769
Loading...

Share This Page