    Is there any need for the note, or would you think that alot of people came
    in looking for a P&S version and BB employees are sick of having to answer
    the question?

    Shinner, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Shinner

    Kevin Guest

    Shinner <> wrote:
    > How do you take that? Why would it be neccessary?

    > Is there any need for the note, or would you think that alot of people came
    > in looking for a P&S version and BB employees are sick of having to answer
    > the question?

    That would be my guess.

    Kevin, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Shinner

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Shinner" <> wrote in message

    > Is there any need for the note, or would you think that alot of people

    came
    > in looking for a P&S version and BB employees are sick of having to answer
    > the question?

    The second thing.

    You would be amazed (or maybe not) by the vast number of Americans whose
    entire understanding of the issue boils down to "I buy full screen DVD's
    because I don't have a widescreen TV."

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Shinner

    Irrat8ed Guest

    My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black bars
    cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    Irrat8ed, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Shinner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Irrat8ed" <> wrote in message
    > My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black
    > bars cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    It's hard to believe, but I actually heard a girl explain to her mother
    that the only difference between widescreen and fullscreen DVDs is that
    the widescreen DVDs cut off the top and bottom of the picture. (While
    this is actually the case in some instances (anamorphic enhancement
    aside), the movie they were looking at had a 2.35:1 widescreen aspect
    ratio.)

    They then proceeded to buy the "fullscreen" version of _Die Another Day_
    so that they would "be able to see the whole picture." Yep. They would
    be able to see the whole 60% pan and scan image.

    Scot Gardner, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Shinner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    "Shinner" <> wrote in message

    > Is there any need for the note, or would you think that alot of people
    > came in looking for a P&S version and BB employees are sick of
    > having to answer the question?

    <<The second thing.>>

    <<You would be amazed (or maybe not) by the vast number of Americans
    whose entire understanding of the issue boils down to "I buy full screen
    DVD's because I don't have a widescreen TV." RichC>>

    I've heard that one before. Some of these people might even have a
    conventional TV which can do 16:9 vertical compression and not even know
    it.

    Or maybe they just don't like those annoying black bars, no matter how
    good the picture quality might be.

    Scot Gardner, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    "Irrat8ed" <> wrote in

    > My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black
    > bars cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    Yeah....total opposite of the truth.

    Shinner, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Shinner

    Justin Guest

    Shinner wrote on [5 Dec 2003 11:49:10 -0600]:
    > "Irrat8ed" <> wrote in
    >
    >> My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black
    >> bars cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    > Yeah....total opposite of the truth.

    not always total. Open Mattes do indeed show more

    Justin, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Shinner

    Cernovog Guest

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:04:57 -0500, Irrat8ed wrote
    (in message <ZU2Ab.9313$>):

    > My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black bars
    > cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    Yes, yes, we've all heard the retarded arguments before:

    1.) Those black bars are annoying. They distract me and I can't concentrate
    on what's going on in the movie.

    2.) I buy full screen DVDs because they fill the whole screen on my
    widescreen TV when I hit the "fill" button on my remote.

    3.) And the number one most retarded answer: "I'm not getting the whole
    picture with those black bars cutting off the top and bottom."

    Next on the alt.video.dvd never-ending gripe list:

    People who refuse to watch subtitled movies.

    "I don't go to the movies to read."

    Cernovog, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    Justin <> wrote in

    > Shinner wrote on [5 Dec 2003 11:49:10 -0600]:
    >> "Irrat8ed" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black
    >>> bars cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    >> Yeah....total opposite of the truth.

    > not always total. Open Mattes do indeed show more

    nit picker :)

    Shinner, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Shinner

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : Someone, I imagine a BB employee, put a note on the sign advertising the
    : Pirates of the Carribbean DVD for $15.99. Written at the top of the price
    : tag was "widescreen only".
    :
    : How do you take that? Why would it be neccessary?
    :
    : Is there any need for the note, or would you think that alot of people came
    : in looking for a P&S version and BB employees are sick of having to answer
    : the question?
    :
    ===========================
    I think that is the answer.

    I say BRAVO for Disney for having the balls to only release the real version of the
    movie!

    Richard C., Dec 5, 2003
  12. Shinner

    Justin Guest

    Shinner wrote on [5 Dec 2003 12:33:57 -0600]:
    > Justin <> wrote in
    >
    >> Shinner wrote on [5 Dec 2003 11:49:10 -0600]:
    >>> "Irrat8ed" <> wrote in

    >>> Yeah....total opposite of the truth.

    >> not always total. Open Mattes do indeed show more

    > nit picker :)

    You use a word like total and you should expect some nit picking

    Justin, Dec 5, 2003
  13. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in

    > I say BRAVO for Disney for having the balls to only release the real
    > version of the movie!

    Wonder how many sales they (the retailer, I mean) lost because of it. I
    would guess quite a few if they had to make special note on their sign that
    it was WS only.

    Shinner, Dec 5, 2003
  14. Justin wrote:

    > Shinner wrote on [5 Dec 2003 11:49:10 -0600]:
    >
    >>"Irrat8ed" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black
    >>>bars cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    >>Yeah....total opposite of the truth.

    > not always total. Open Mattes do indeed show more

    It's rare these days for an open matte transfer to be totally open
    matte, there are so many computer graphics and composite/optical effects
    that you're lucky to get half of the movie open-matted, they just pan
    and scan the shots that can't be open matted.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 5, 2003
  15. Cernovog wrote:
    > Yes, yes, we've all heard the retarded arguments before:
    >
    > 1.) Those black bars are annoying. They distract me and I can't concentrate
    > on what's going on in the movie.

    I find the sides of my tv distracting, as well as the wall behind it.
    Do they make DVDs that get rid of your tv and wall? Can I have the
    movie beamed directly onto my optic nerves?

    > 2.) I buy full screen DVDs because they fill the whole screen on my
    > widescreen TV when I hit the "fill" button on my remote.

    I hate anybody who can afford an HDTV but is too stupid to use it. What
    a waste of technology.

    > 3.) And the number one most retarded answer: "I'm not getting the whole
    > picture with those black bars cutting off the top and bottom."

    When I briefly worked in a HT department at a BB, I had to fight to keep
    from socking people or at least grabbing them by the shirt collar and
    screaming at them when they told me this.

    > Next on the alt.video.dvd never-ending gripe list:
    >
    > People who refuse to watch subtitled movies.
    >
    > "I don't go to the movies to read."

    Fools. What else is there to say?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 5, 2003
  16. Shinner wrote:

    > "Richard C." <> wrote in
    >

    >>I say BRAVO for Disney for having the balls to only release the real
    >>version of the movie!

    > Wonder how many sales they (the retailer, I mean) lost because of it. I
    > would guess quite a few if they had to make special note on their sign that
    > it was WS only.

    If you stock equal amounts of WS and P&S, and give them equal prominence
    (i.e. don't pull a Wal-Mart and hide the WS ones behind the counter), WS
    sells better. Even at gas stations. Retailers are starting to notice
    this too. People are slowly becoming more edu-macated and the "I want
    my TV filled darnit" generation is thinning out.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 5, 2003
  17. Shinner

    Justin Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:24:16 GMT]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Shinner wrote on [5 Dec 2003 11:49:10 -0600]:
    >>
    >>>"Irrat8ed" <> wrote in

    >>>Yeah....total opposite of the truth.

    >> not always total. Open Mattes do indeed show more

    > It's rare these days for an open matte transfer to be totally open
    > matte, there are so many computer graphics and composite/optical effects
    > that you're lucky to get half of the movie open-matted, they just pan
    > and scan the shots that can't be open matted.

    Very true. But there are also a lot of movies that have no effects,
    crappy chip flicks mostly.

    And I was kind of going against the previous poster's "total opposite"
    comment there.

    Justin, Dec 5, 2003
  18. Shinner

    Doonie Guest

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:04:57 GMT, Irrat8ed wrote:

    >My relatives say "I'm not getting the whole picture with those black bars
    >cutting off the top and bottom." They are retarded.

    There are a couple die-hards at my work whom I've shown printed-out
    examples with widescreen vs. p&s right next to each other and they
    think I'm full of it or just lying. =\ They probably just don't to
    admit they're dumb enough to not have known what they were looking at
    all these years. Talk about retarded. =\
    I guess it's like the saying goes:

    "You can't teach an ignorant, self-centred old dog a new trick."

    --
    www.cloakanddagger.ca

    Doonie, Dec 5, 2003
  19. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in

    > If you stock equal amounts of WS and P&S, and give them equal
    > prominence (i.e. don't pull a Wal-Mart and hide the WS ones behind the
    > counter), WS sells better.

    I won't argue that...I just figured that since the BB people added the
    designation to the price tag sign, there must have been a significant
    amount of people lookings for the butchered version.

    > Even at gas stations.

    Gas stations here are outta their mind....they sell used DVDs for $13.99
    (and mostly movies that are completely forgettable).

    > Retailers are
    > starting to notice this too. People are slowly becoming more
    > edu-macated and the "I want my TV filled darnit" generation is
    > thinning out.

    Doesn't bother me at all...

    Shinner, Dec 5, 2003
  20. Shinner

    Shinner Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in

    > I find the sides of my tv distracting, as well as the wall behind it.

    That's a little bit different isn't it? The sides of your TV and the wall
    behind it aren't capable of showing a movie....a TV screen is. And when
    people see part of the screen not being used, they think they're being
    cheated. That's their perception, though wrong. Your example is
    ridiculous.

    > When I briefly worked in a HT department at a BB, I had to fight to
    > keep from socking people or at least grabbing them by the shirt collar
    > and screaming at them when they told me this.

    You should have stayed there and pitched the BB management with the idea
    to make you the "Widescreen Guy". Every time you saw someone pick up a
    P&S DVD you could have politely offered to show them the light taking
    them to the side and showing examples of why they're screwed in the head.
    Most often, you probably could have even used a WS copy of whatever it
    was buying. What a customer service that could have been. BB would
    probably be considered revolutionary for providing such a service.

    Of course, the P&S goofball could always tell you to mind your own
    business and stay out of their wallet, but you never know, you might turn
    a few people around.

    Shinner, Dec 5, 2003