Interesting speed comparisons.....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Crash, Jun 14, 2006.

  1. Crash

    Crash Guest

    I have now moved away from Xtra and the results of using the speed test at
    www.nzdsl.co.nz are somewhat startling. I am on a 3.5/512 plan with Orcon and
    was on an identical plan with Xtra. All speeds here quoted in megabits per
    second. I was switched yesterday morning.

    Over a 2 month period with Xtra, download speed was around 3.2 for most of the
    time except after about 5:30 pm when it was more normal to get about .500 down.

    Upload speeds were consistent - around .450 any time of day.

    With Orcon, the slowest download speed has been 3.408 - taken at 8:30 am this
    morning. Download speeds taken at 10 pm yesterday was 3.417 and taken a few
    minutes ago was 3.410. Its only 2 days so far but these peak time differences
    are so substantial to be barely believable.

    Originally I had thought that the peak time slowdown would have been caused by
    contention between me and my DSLAM (in which case the problem is with Telecom
    and would occur regardless of who the ISP was). That clearly is NOT the case -
    performance seems to vary depending on the ISP.

    This is coolest ;-)

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 14, 2006

  2. Crash

    none Guest

    That speed test is hosted at Orcon.

    No surprises it's faster.

    none, Jun 14, 2006

  3. "none" <""mcooper\"@(none)"> wrote in message
    > That speed test is hosted at Orcon.
    >
    > No surprises it's faster.

    Yes it is Hosted at Orcon, but it has high speed connections to all ISP's
    in NZ so what ISP you are coming from shouldn't make much of a difference in
    the results you are getting (Speedtest Box -> ISP Speed). Using say for
    example the jetstreamgames speedtest (if you made done it as well, might of
    shown the same thing)

    Yes there are some bottlenecks on ISPs which could mean from the DSL->ISP is
    slower at peak times.

    Personally I've not seen any differences between the Main DSL ISP's (from
    the same location). (ie speed should be the same on the same DSLAM if you
    are on Xtra or IHUG or Orcon or......) as (normally) the speed is limited by
    the backhaul from the DSLAM->Telecom's Network and not via the ISP (for
    national traffic)

    Thanks
    Craig
    www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "none" <""mcooper\"@(none)"> wrote in message
    >> That speed test is hosted at Orcon.
    >>
    >> No surprises it's faster.

    > Yes it is Hosted at Orcon, but it has high speed connections to all ISP's
    > in NZ so what ISP you are coming from shouldn't make much of a difference in
    > the results you are getting (Speedtest Box -> ISP Speed). Using say for
    > example the jetstreamgames speedtest (if you made done it as well, might of
    > shown the same thing)
    >
    > Yes there are some bottlenecks on ISPs which could mean from the DSL->ISP is
    > slower at peak times.
    >
    > Personally I've not seen any differences between the Main DSL ISP's (from
    > the same location). (ie speed should be the same on the same DSLAM if you
    > are on Xtra or IHUG or Orcon or......) as (normally) the speed is limited by
    > the backhaul from the DSLAM->Telecom's Network and not via the ISP (for
    > national traffic)

    Hmmm - I had not considered where nzdsl was hosted ;-)

    However I have noted a marked general improvement in performance at peak times -
    much faster response from trademe and internet banking for example.

    Crash.

    Crash, Jun 14, 2006