Interesting Spam Statistics

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Waylon Kenning, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.

    Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 14, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Waylon Kenning

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:56:55 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    > 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    > That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    > kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    > pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    > 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    > by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >
    > Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?


    I bought these really cool pills from them once.. and let me tell you how
    hard it is lugging round a 14 footer...

    --
    Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

    The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
     
    Shane, Oct 14, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    >2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    >That's about 62 messages a day.


    Yup, I think my spam load is similar. Nowadays I run this Perl script
    that deletes everything with "X-Spam-Status: Yes" off my POP account
    before I even bother to start up my MUA, which reduces the burden
    considerably.

    >But 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    >by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.


    Ee-yup. But the cost of that is spread among all us innocent Internet
    users, instead of being concentrated on the perpetrators where it should
    fairly go.

    >Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?


    Hardly anybody does. But it only takes one fool in 100,000 or so to make
    the whole spamming industry worthwhile.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 14, 2005
    #3
  4. Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >I bought these really cool pills from them once.. and let me tell you how
    >hard it is lugging round a 14 footer...


    I advise you to use the word "difficult" in place of "hard" to avoid
    ambiguity.
     
    Steve Marshall, Oct 14, 2005
    #4
  5. Waylon Kenning

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    > 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    > That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    > kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    > pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    > 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    > by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >
    > Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?


    I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome deal.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2005
    #5
  6. Waylon Kenning

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    8><----

    > I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome deal.



    From what I can see they always are awesome......

    ;]

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Oct 14, 2005
    #6
  7. Waylon Kenning

    thingy Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    > 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    > That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    > kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    > pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    > 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    > by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >
    > Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.


    I look after a decent sized email system (about 3 million in and 3
    million out a month, with 30,000 users). Of that 50% to 75% per month
    incoming is spam, (it rarely drops below 65% spam), so we alone on
    average handle 2 million spam a month....

    3 years ago we had a Dell 2650 with 4 gig of ram, 18 months ago it
    became a 2850, 3 months ago a Dell 6850 with 12 gig of ram.....2 weeks
    ago both the 2850 and the 6850 running in a clustered mode....

    Spam dictionary attacks (over 4 an hour on occasion) no longer take out
    our incoming email service......our anti-spam software is 15k a
    year...So we spent close to 80k in the last 18 months on hardware and
    software we should not have needed to.....

    Since we are small in comparison to large ISPs, they must get many more
    10s of millions than us a month.....

    When you start to factor in the wasted $'s its staggering.....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Oct 14, 2005
    #7
  8. Waylon Kenning

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:56:47 +1300, Steve Marshall wrote:

    > Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought these really cool pills from them once.. and let me tell you how
    >>hard it is lugging round a 14 footer...

    >
    > I advise you to use the word "difficult" in place of "hard" to avoid
    > ambiguity.


    heh.. good advice indeed
    the really bad news is.. the 14 footer is the before pic
    --
    Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

    The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
     
    Shane, Oct 14, 2005
    #8
  9. Waylon Kenning

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 19:56:47 +1300, Steve Marshall <>
    wrote:

    >Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought these really cool pills from them once.. and let me tell you how
    >>hard it is lugging round a 14 footer...

    >
    >I advise you to use the word "difficult" in place of "hard" to avoid
    >ambiguity.


    Must be "difficult" to keep a stiff upper lip in such circumstances :)

    Squirrel



    "A waist is a terrible thing to mind"
     
    Squirrel, Oct 14, 2005
    #9
  10. Waylon Kenning

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:05:41 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >> Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    >> 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    >> That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    >> kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    >> pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    >> 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    >> by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >>
    >> Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?

    >
    >I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome deal.


    damn damn damn I did!!!!

    Squirrel





    "A waist is a terrible thing to mind"
     
    Squirrel, Oct 14, 2005
    #10
  11. Waylon Kenning

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <-a-geek.net>,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >
    >I bought these really cool pills from them once.. and let me tell you how
    >hard it is lugging round a 14 footer...


    I bought the deluxe pills - came with a free wheelbarrow.

    --
    Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
    "New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286
     
    Don Hills, Oct 14, 2005
    #11
  12. Waylon Kenning

    Invisible Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:05:41 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >> Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    >> 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    >> That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    >> kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    >> pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    >> 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    >> by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >>
    >> Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?

    >
    >I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome deal.


    How can anyone resist this gem?...:


    Message-ID: <000071c0571f$00001bba$>
    To: <Undisclosed Recipients>
    From: "Still Horny" <>
    Subject: Better Twang.... LFPFDCTF
    Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 13:26:34 -2000

    Introducing ...

    COCKLE DOODLE DOO (tm) Penile Restorative/Renewal/Enhancement Souffle'

    Cockle Doodle Doo (tm) is an exclusive, proprietary blendage created to
    dramatically/emphatically, aggrandize/enhance & age-inhibit penile skin
    quality and vascular composure. Soothes, refreshes, provides a youthful
    Glow & Go sensitivity.

    INGREDIENTS:
    Gerovital H3 Serum, Elastin, Horsetail Extract, ArchAngelica Extract,
    Lecithin, Methylparaben, Bee Pollen, Evening Primrose Oil, pure,
    viripotent Mandarin Yin Yang Huo Extract (Horny Goat Weed extreme potency
    20:1 ratio), Deer Antler Extract, Catalyst-Altered Water, Diamond
    Elixir...

    USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
    After shower, moisten hands; dab a little dip of Doo; just a dip will Doo
    you. Apply to entire penis. Have a Cockle Doodle Doo day!

    Cockle Doodle Doo (tm) Penile Restorative/Renewal/Enhancement Souffle' is
    specifically designed to ingratiate male genitalia. There is absolutely
    nothing else like it on the planet. Indeed, it is a gentleman's Doo.
    Cockle Doodle Doo is cutting-edge, anti-aging, core-enhancing; Yin Yang
    Huo (High-Ratio Horny Goatweed) factored ingeniousness combining the
    innovations of Botanical Science, Vitaminic Science and Vibrational
    Science.

    Gentlemen: I've got to tell you ... at nearly 48 years of age, my own
    penis is Crowin', Glowin', & Goin' like a young rooster's.

    I and numerous other patrons of Cockle Doodle Doo Souffle' report:

    * Better Hang
    * Better Twang
    * Firmer, More Supple Erections
    * More Youthful Appearance
    * Less Penile Refractory Time After Sex
    * Increased Sensitivity
    * More Frequent and Abundant Erections
    * More Horniness
    * More Penis Pride

    ATTENTION LADIES!!!
    We haven't forgotten about the wonderment of you. COMING SOON ...
    Vaginal Dew. So you, too, can do the Dew!
     
    Invisible, Oct 14, 2005
    #12
  13. Waylon Kenning

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:05:41 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>> Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    >>> 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    >>> That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    >>> kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    >>> pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    >>> 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    >>> by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?

    >>
    >> I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome
    >> deal.

    >
    > damn damn damn I did!!!!


    Bad Squirrel!!! You realise that that one sale will encourage them to send
    out another million spams don't you? Oh well, at least now we have someone
    to blame. :p
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2005
    #13
  14. Waylon Kenning

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 01:57:04 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:05:41 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>>> Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    >>>> 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    >>>> That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    >>>> kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    >>>> pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    >>>> 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    >>>> by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >>>>
    >>>> Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?
    >>>
    >>> I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome
    >>> deal.

    >>
    >> damn damn damn I did!!!!

    >
    >Bad Squirrel!!! You realise that that one sale will encourage them to send
    >out another million spams don't you? Oh well, at least now we have someone
    >to blame. :p


    Actually on reflection it wasnt spam, I read an ad (dime a dozen work
    from home) and got stung that way, still, at least I know now :(

    Squirrel


    "The only unnatural sex act is one you cannot perform" - Dr Alfred Kinsey
     
    Squirrel, Oct 14, 2005
    #14
  15. Waylon Kenning

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 01:57:04 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Squirrel wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:05:41 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>>>> Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since
    >>>>> about 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails
    >>>>> a month. That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was
    >>>>> about 30 kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a
    >>>>> month, or pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the
    >>>>> last part. But 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone,
    >>>>> imagine that multiplied by say just the people in here, the
    >>>>> numbers quickly get enormous.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?
    >>>>
    >>>> I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome
    >>>> deal.
    >>>
    >>> damn damn damn I did!!!!

    >>
    >> Bad Squirrel!!! You realise that that one sale will encourage them
    >> to send out another million spams don't you? Oh well, at least now
    >> we have someone to blame. :p

    >
    > Actually on reflection it wasnt spam, I read an ad (dime a dozen work
    > from home) and got stung that way, still, at least I know now :(


    Sure, sure. Try to weasel out now. ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Oct 15, 2005
    #15
  16. Waylon Kenning

    steve Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:56:55 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since about
    >> 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails a month.
    >> That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was about 30
    >> kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a month, or
    >> pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the last part. But
    >> 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone, imagine that multiplied
    >> by say just the people in here, the numbers quickly get enormous.
    >>
    >> Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?

    >
    > I bought these really cool pills from them once.. and let me tell you how
    > hard it is lugging round a 14 footer...
    >


    Utility for intended purpose would be non-existent at 14 feet.
     
    steve, Oct 15, 2005
    #16
  17. Waylon Kenning

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:04:18 +1200, (Don
    Hills) wrote:

    >In article <-a-geek.net>,
    >Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>I bought these really cool pills from them once.. and let me tell you how
    >>hard it is lugging round a 14 footer...

    >
    >I bought the deluxe pills - came with a free wheelbarrow.


    I have never seen a fourteen foot long wheel barrow, would have to put
    a hose winder into it first :)


    Squirrel


    "Homosexuality is just God's way of insuring that
    the truly gifted aren't burdened with children" - Sam Austin
     
    Squirrel, Oct 15, 2005
    #17
  18. Waylon Kenning

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:40:30 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 01:57:04 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Squirrel wrote:
    >>>> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:05:41 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>>>>> Since redirecting all mail from my domain that I've had since
    >>>>>> about 2000 to my gmail address, I average about 1900 spam emails
    >>>>>> a month. That's about 62 messages a day. If each message was
    >>>>>> about 30 kilobytes, then that works out to 57 megabytes of Spam a
    >>>>>> month, or pretty close to Xtra's UBS cap. Just kidding with the
    >>>>>> last part. But 57MB of spam email a month just to me alone,
    >>>>>> imagine that multiplied by say just the people in here, the
    >>>>>> numbers quickly get enormous.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Does anyone actually buy from spam these days?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I wouldn't buy from spam on principal, even if it was an awesome
    >>>>> deal.
    >>>>
    >>>> damn damn damn I did!!!!
    >>>
    >>> Bad Squirrel!!! You realise that that one sale will encourage them
    >>> to send out another million spams don't you? Oh well, at least now
    >>> we have someone to blame. :p

    >>
    >> Actually on reflection it wasnt spam, I read an ad (dime a dozen work
    >> from home) and got stung that way, still, at least I know now :(

    >
    >Sure, sure. Try to weasel out now. ;-)


    shit, I am starting to sound like a non smoker justifiying why they
    have just lit up a fag lol


    Squirrel


    "Homosexuality is just God's way of insuring that
    the truly gifted aren't burdened with children" - Sam Austin
     
    Squirrel, Oct 15, 2005
    #18
  19. T'was the Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:13:38 +1300 when I remembered thingy
    <> saying something like this:

    >When you start to factor in the wasted $'s its staggering.....


    It's just a cost of being part of a technological society. There'd be
    no problems if there was no email, but the cost of no email far
    outweighs the cost of viruses and spam etc...

    The trend I'm seeing is that computer security seems to be a very nice
    place to set yourself up in, a bit like being a plumber, there will
    always be work in security.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 16, 2005
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. C A Preston

    Spam-Spam and more Spam

    C A Preston, Apr 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    635
    Hywel
    Apr 12, 2004
  2. Winged

    Interesting statistics

    Winged, Feb 1, 2006, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    518
    Winged
    Feb 1, 2006
  3. Liam
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    432
  4. Clwddncr
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    724
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Feb 7, 2005
  5. thing
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    746
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Mar 11, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page