Interesting series of articles on building custom PCs and overclocking

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. thingy

    Rob Simpson Guest

    Re: Interesting series of articles on building custom PCs andoverclocking

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:55:24 +1300, thingy propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/27/system_builder_marathon/

    Bookmarked for when I have time to give it more than a desultory perusal.

    For those not necessarily into overclocking, but are having trouble
    figuring out which cpu to get, here's an up to date comparison guide of
    over 630 cpus

    http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=337

    --
    Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
    Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz
    Rob Simpson, Mar 27, 2008

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Rob Simpson wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:55:24 +1300, thingy propped his eyelids open with
    > toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/27/system_builder_marathon/

    > Bookmarked for when I have time to give it more than a desultory perusal.
    >
    > For those not necessarily into overclocking, but are having trouble
    > figuring out which cpu to get, here's an up to date comparison guide of
    > over 630 cpus
    >
    > http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=337

    Hi,

    You dont have to overclock....(and I dont). They build them as std then
    see what they can do....for the mid spec box, a Q6600 CPU is half the
    cost of the Q6700 and I'd look at a GTS8800 512Meg....video card and
    cheaper ram myself....some components are interesting choices, like the
    TX2 CPU cooling fan is actually quite cheap but very good, to get
    significantly better water cooling is needed....and that would seem to
    be 5~10 times the cost with only a % improvement.

    As far as overclocking goes last time I think they used a Q6600 in the
    mid range box and so this time a Q6700, it gives an interesting
    comparison. $440 v $800 is a step rise but if its giving a worthwhile
    boost....so im off to read.....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 27, 2008
  4. In article <>, y says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > You dont have to overclock....(and I dont). They build them as std then
    > see what they can do....for the mid spec box, a Q6600 CPU is half the
    > cost of the Q6700 and I'd look at a GTS8800 512Meg....video card and
    > cheaper ram myself....some components are interesting choices, like the
    > TX2 CPU cooling fan is actually quite cheap but very good, to get
    > significantly better water cooling is needed....and that would seem to
    > be 5~10 times the cost with only a % improvement.

    The Scythe Ninja fans are supposedly very very good.

    As for watercooling - I did it on my current system, mostly so I could cool the
    video card and the bridge chip as well. First catch is: Megabucks, nearly $800
    on my setup with the gfx card waterblock alone being over $200. AND it's
    noisier than the air cooling I had before (albeit with passive cooling on the
    gfx card). Having said that - I am not sure how much noise the air cooler on my
    8800 GTS would have made, had I left it on the card.

    The bottom line on the water cooling, however is, that the gfx card runs
    SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than it would in any other configuration, it doesn't even
    reach 40 degrees celsius. That's half the temp it would reach with an air
    cooler. Cpu is typically in the low 30ies or high 20ies in winter. Now that is
    nice.
    I don't overclock much, either. No need, the Core2D 6420 is plenty fast enough
    for me as it is.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 29, 2008
  5. In article <>, Peter Huebner
    did write:

    > As for watercooling - I did it on my current system, mostly so I could
    > cool the video card and the bridge chip as well. First catch is:
    > Megabucks.... AND it's noisier than the air cooling I had before ...

    What about operational life and maintenance issues? Is it likely to spring a
    leak a couple of years down the road? Corrosion? Deposits? Things growing
    in the water?

    Trying to think of all the bad things that could possibly happen. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 29, 2008
  6. In article <fskf7f$o7j$>, _zealand
    says...
    > In article <>, Peter Huebner
    > did write:
    >
    > > As for watercooling - I did it on my current system, mostly so I could
    > > cool the video card and the bridge chip as well. First catch is:
    > > Megabucks.... AND it's noisier than the air cooling I had before ...

    > What about operational life and maintenance issues? Is it likely to spring a
    > leak a couple of years down the road? Corrosion? Deposits? Things growing
    > in the water?
    >
    > Trying to think of all the bad things that could possibly happen. :)

    Pump is rated at 50k hours - which is about par with most computer equipment.
    I have to top up every 6 months or so - and since I use distilled water with
    antifreeze (kills algae) there are no problems with corrosion or slime buildup.
    Good idea to have an all-copper system though, regardless. I'd hesitate to mix
    copper and aluminium even if some manufacturers do. Leak, well ... I used high
    quality hose, good clips ... I think I don't have to worry for 2-3 years. Then
    I may test a piece of hose for brittleness. But it's out of the light. Hell,
    the water system of our house is 1km polyethylene pipe and it's 17 years old
    and going strong.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 29, 2008