    --
    "... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
    -- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

    Mara, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Mara

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-11-07, Mara <> wrote:
    > Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    > order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >
    > The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    > different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >
    > Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    > really are?
    >
    > You decide.

    Take the £90 callout fee and the £50 per hour, and look as though you
    expect real coffee and a good tip. But the framed memorial would be good
    too. (Take a speaker and sound-card in case they don't actually exist,
    and a bag for all the fluff clogging the speaker if that's the problem, of
    course).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 7, 2007

  3. Mara

    Alfred Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:30:29 -0600, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    >order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >
    >The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    >different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >
    >Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    >really are?
    >
    >You decide.

    It would really depend on whether there was a fault on the system or
    the user was a dork who didn't know how to use a tool of his
    profession.

    Alfred, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Mara

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:30:29 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    > order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >
    > The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    > different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >
    > Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    > really are?
    >
    > You decide.

    Perhaps you should suggest they turn the power off!

    Ya think maybe a 500 watt amplifier would be overkill?

    Is his name "Homer Simpson"?

    richard, Nov 7, 2007
  5. Mara

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:30:29 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    >order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >
    >The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    >different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?

    Yes, don't get to do that often.

    >Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    >really are?

    Sadly a daily occurrance, not noteworthy.

    >You decide.

    Me

    why?, Nov 7, 2007
  6. Mara

    Guest

    On Nov 7, 10:30 pm, Mara <> wrote:
    > Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    > order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >
    > The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    > different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >
    > Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    > really are?
    >
    > You decide.

    Maybe they plugged in a pair of un-amplified speakers into the
    sound line-out socket ?

    , Nov 7, 2007
  7. Mara

    who'sthat Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    >order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >
    >The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    >different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >
    >Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    >really are?
    >
    >You decide.

    I'd make sure I get a letter of appreciation of some type from my
    supervisor for not doing the obvious which would lead to a CNN news
    crew outside your company doing a story on the latest job site
    massacre.

    who'sthat, Nov 7, 2007
  8. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:28:20 +0000, Alfred <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:30:29 -0600, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    >>order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >>
    >>The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    >>different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >>
    >>Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    >>really are?
    >>
    >>You decide.

    >It would really depend on whether there was a fault on the system or
    >the user was a dork who didn't know how to use a tool of his
    >profession.

    This is way beyond dorkdom.

    Mara, Nov 7, 2007
  9. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:02:26 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 11:30:29 -0600, Mara wrote:
    >
    >>Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    >>order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >>
    >>The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    >>different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?

    >Yes, don't get to do that often.

    True.

    >>Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    >>really are?

    >Sadly a daily occurrance, not noteworthy.

    Unfortunately for me, that's a rather extreme understatement.

    >>You decide.

    >Me

    I have a frame ready, just in case.

    Mara, Nov 7, 2007
  10. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:19:34 -0800, wrote:

    >On Nov 7, 10:30 pm, Mara <> wrote:
    >> Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    >> order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >>
    >> The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over it in
    >> different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >>
    >> Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my lusers
    >> really are?
    >>
    >> You decide.
    >>

    >Maybe they plugged in a pair of un-amplified speakers into the
    >sound line-out socket ?

    No. That would indicate *some* sort of cranial activity, however slight, and
    that's just not in the cards here.

    Mara, Nov 7, 2007
  11. Mara

    chuckcar Guest

    Mara <> wrote in

    > Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with
    > a work order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.
    >
    > The question: should I bring a copy of it home, write STUPID all over
    > it in different colors, and frame it as a Monument to $orkplace?
    >
    > Or just smirk at how incredibly, impossibly ignorant and idiotic my
    > lusers really are?
    >
    > You decide.

    I've had two where the monitor was blank with nothing wrong - once it
    was turned off, the other time the brightness was turned all the way
    down. People are dumb stupid panicky animals as they said in Men in
    Black. Charge what you can get away with, and enjoy the free ride.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 8, 2007
  12. Mara

    Plato Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > Yesterday, in an act filled with pomp and lunacy, I was presented with a work
    > order to turn the sound up on a machine. No, I am not kidding.

    If its an old machine with old speakers, check the batteries first.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 16, 2007