INTERESTING PROBLEM -- CD doesn not see burned disks, but does see others

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by md, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. md

    md Guest

    I have the strangest problem. I am in the middle of a project to refurbish
    and rebuild computers for honor roll students in my son's middle school who
    can't afford computers. ...I am refurbishing an Aptiva 2168-2R9 computer.
    Seemed to run smoothly and mostly I stripped off a lot of SW and upgraded
    from W95 to W98SE with the upgrade disk. HOWEVER, and there always is a
    However, I have a weird problem. The CD ROM Drive only recognizes real
    program disks, like W98 or Norton Utilities, etc. Whenever i try any disk
    that I have burned, it gives me an error message saying 'E\ is not
    available. This device is not ready' and the choices of Retry and Cancel. I
    try retry 10 times and no luck, but then I pop in the Norton or W98 disk and
    it reads it immediately and spins as fast as it should. All the other
    computers we have rebuilt reads burned disks off of the CD Drive, no matter
    what disk I put in. But, in this box, I can put in 10 different burned CDs
    (the same ones that worked on other computers AND probably 7 different
    brands/types) and I get the error message. Then I put in one Noron disk and
    it works fine. What is going on? Is there any setting you know about in HW
    or SW that would tell it not to recognize a non purchased CD??? (BTW, I
    tried swapping in 3 different CDROM Drives, including a brand new one and
    get the exact same problem)

    The second question is with a Dell Dimension XP H233. I have reformatted,
    etc, but am having a problem with the computer that when I boot off an A
    drive startup disk, and then pick CD ROM support, it hangs as it is just
    starting the PCI Bus Check. And at that point there is nothing further I can
    do. If i tell it to start on the A disk without CD Rom support, it goes thru
    the PCI Bus checks and then goes to the A prompt...BUT I can't activate the
    CD drive at that point. Any suggestions?

    Thanks for your help

    Mark mdibner (at) bioability.com
    md, Sep 3, 2003

  2. md

    Boomer :-[*] Guest

    md wrote:
    > I have the strangest problem. I am in the middle of a project to
    > refurbish and rebuild computers for honor roll students in my son's
    > middle school who can't afford computers. ...I am refurbishing an
    > Aptiva 2168-2R9 computer. Seemed to run smoothly and mostly I
    > stripped off a lot of SW and upgraded from W95 to W98SE with the
    > upgrade disk. HOWEVER, and there always is a However, I have a weird
    > problem. The CD ROM Drive only recognizes real program disks, like
    > W98 or Norton Utilities, etc. Whenever i try any disk that I have
    > burned, it gives me an error message saying 'E\ is not available.
    > This device is not ready' and the choices of Retry and Cancel. I try
    > retry 10 times and no luck, but then I pop in the Norton or W98 disk
    > and it reads it immediately and spins as fast as it should. All the
    > other computers we have rebuilt reads burned disks off of the CD
    > Drive, no matter what disk I put in. But, in this box, I can put in
    > 10 different burned CDs (the same ones that worked on other computers
    > AND probably 7 different brands/types) and I get the error message.
    > Then I put in one Noron disk and it works fine. What is going on? Is
    > there any setting you know about in HW or SW that would tell it not
    > to recognize a non purchased CD??? (BTW, I tried swapping in 3
    > different CDROM Drives, including a brand new one and get the exact
    > same problem)
    >
    > The second question is with a Dell Dimension XP H233. I have
    > reformatted, etc, but am having a problem with the computer that
    > when I boot off an A drive startup disk, and then pick CD ROM
    > support, it hangs as it is just starting the PCI Bus Check. And at
    > that point there is nothing further I can do. If i tell it to start
    > on the A disk without CD Rom support, it goes thru the PCI Bus checks
    > and then goes to the A prompt...BUT I can't activate the CD drive at
    > that point. Any suggestions?

    Can't tell you much, but someone will be along shortly to offer advice. In
    the meantime, you might like to look for earlier posts on the same subject.
    And as for posting, whatever you do, don't post in HTML. And if you want to
    post test messages, please use a TEST group.

    alt.test --------------------------------->
    misc.test ------------------------------>
    za.test --------------------------------->

    The purpose of test newsgroups is to allow users to test
    their news software and servers without annoying others.

    FYI http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html

    Thank You :-[*]
    Boomer :-[*], Sep 3, 2003

  3. md

    md Guest

    Sorry...didnt know it was HTML. Have been posting on newsgroups for years
    but never cited by the newsgroup police before. Will try to be better.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Mark

    md, Sep 3, 2003
  4. md

    Boomer Guest

    md said:

    > Sorry...didnt know it was HTML. Have been posting on newsgroups
    > for years but never cited by the newsgroup police before. Will
    > try to be better. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Mark

    > "Boomer :-[*]" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    You replied to a troll. That was not from me. Your post was just
    fine.
    Boomer, Sep 3, 2003
  5. md

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Sep 3, 2003
  6. md

    Boomer :-) Guest

    TROLL POST

    From: Boomer <Boomer__Baby_@.mailinator.com>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: INTERESTING PROBLEM -- CD doesn not see burned disks,
    but does see others
    Date: 3 Sep 2003 06:12:54 +0200
  7. md

    Boomer :-) Guest

    Boomer :) wrote:
    > TROLL POST

    TROLL!!!!

    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Re: Test with weird outcome!!!
    From: "Boomer " <Boomer__Baby@.mailinator.com>
    Date: 03 Sep 2003 04:41:35 GMT
  8. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 3 Sep 2003 06:12:54 +0200,
    the TROLL posing, as Boomer, uttered this:

    <snip>

    Please Note:-
    The drongo troll posing as Boomer is posting from:-

    The REAL Boomer posts from:-
  9. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 3 Sep 2003 06:52:56 +0200,
    the TROLL posing as Boomer :) uttered this:

    >Boomer :) wrote:
    >> TROLL POST

    <snip>

    NB:-
    The TROLL posing as Boomer is posting from:-

    The REAL Boomer posts from:-