Interesting phone call tonight....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    My phone starts ringing....

    I pick it up....

    I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international call
    from a third world country)

    Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking to the
    person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet bills?"

    I say yes, thinking it might be Telstra Clear.

    She then says: "Can I talk to you about how Slingshot can offer you a far
    better telephone and Internet service than Telstra Clear does."

    I say: "No, because Slingshot cant even come close to providing the services
    I currently get from Telstra Clear..."

    She doesn't take the hint, and says: "Slingshot can offer you cheaper and
    faster Telephone and Internet services than you're currently getting....."

    I say: "NO they cant because I'm on Telstra Clear (Paradise) cable that is a
    LOT faster than anything Slingshot offers and I'm quite happy with the price
    I'm paying for Telstra Clears Telephone, Internet, and Cable TV services."

    She: Ummmm Ahhh well......

    Me: Goodbye. Hangs up phone.

    Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to targeting
    other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Aug 9, 2007

  2. Max Burke

    EMB Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to
    > targeting other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    > And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?

    Assuming you're on a 9xx-xxxx phone number it's not hard for them to
    just blind dial the whole numbering range assigned to Telstra.
    EMB, Aug 9, 2007

  3. Max Burke

    Richard Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > My phone starts ringing....
    >
    > I pick it up....
    >
    > I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international
    > call from a third world country)
    >
    > Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking to
    > the person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet bills?"
    >
    > I say yes, thinking it might be Telstra Clear.
    >
    > She then says: "Can I talk to you about how Slingshot can offer you a
    > far better telephone and Internet service than Telstra Clear does."
    >
    > I say: "No, because Slingshot cant even come close to providing the
    > services I currently get from Telstra Clear..."
    >
    > She doesn't take the hint, and says: "Slingshot can offer you cheaper
    > and faster Telephone and Internet services than you're currently
    > getting....."
    >
    > I say: "NO they cant because I'm on Telstra Clear (Paradise) cable that
    > is a LOT faster than anything Slingshot offers and I'm quite happy with
    > the price I'm paying for Telstra Clears Telephone, Internet, and Cable
    > TV services."
    >
    > She: Ummmm Ahhh well......
    >
    > Me: Goodbye. Hangs up phone.
    >
    > Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to
    > targeting other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    > And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?

    Was the caller id for it 90222 or something similar?
    Richard, Aug 9, 2007
  4. Max Burke

    Allistar Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    > My phone starts ringing....
    >
    > I pick it up....
    >
    > I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international
    > call from a third world country)
    >
    > Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking to
    > the person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet
    > bills?"

    [snip]

    I dislike marketing calls like this in general, but especially when I can't
    easily understand the person on the other end. Thick accents like that put
    me off straight away.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007
  5. Max Burke

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:32:25 +1200, "Max Burke" <>
    exclaimed:

    >My phone starts ringing....
    >
    >I pick it up....
    >
    >I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international call
    >from a third world country)
    >
    >Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking to the
    >person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet bills?"
    >
    >I say yes, thinking it might be Telstra Clear.
    >
    >She then says: "Can I talk to you about how Slingshot can offer you a far
    >better telephone and Internet service than Telstra Clear does."
    >
    >I say: "No, because Slingshot cant even come close to providing the services
    >I currently get from Telstra Clear..."
    >
    >She doesn't take the hint, and says: "Slingshot can offer you cheaper and
    >faster Telephone and Internet services than you're currently getting....."
    >
    >I say: "NO they cant because I'm on Telstra Clear (Paradise) cable that is a
    >LOT faster than anything Slingshot offers and I'm quite happy with the price
    >I'm paying for Telstra Clears Telephone, Internet, and Cable TV services."
    >
    >She: Ummmm Ahhh well......
    >
    >Me: Goodbye. Hangs up phone.
    >
    >Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to targeting
    >other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    >And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?

    Interestingly, I received a call from TelstraClear yesterday trying to
    pinch us from Telecom...

    I relayed how much crappier TC were than Telecom and rattled off a
    couple of bad experiences, then said we wouldn't go near them. She
    kept trying (very pushy), and I had to get pretty hard with her before
    she'd let it go - harder than many people would be able to be.

    At least she had a kiwi accent, I guess.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Max Burke

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > My phone starts ringing....
    >
    > I pick it up....
    >
    > I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international
    > call from a third world country)
    >
    > Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking to
    > the person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet bills?"
    >
    > I say yes, thinking it might be Telstra Clear.
    >
    > She then says: "Can I talk to you about how Slingshot can offer you a
    > far better telephone and Internet service than Telstra Clear does."
    >
    > I say: "No, because Slingshot cant even come close to providing the
    > services I currently get from Telstra Clear..."
    >
    > She doesn't take the hint, and says: "Slingshot can offer you cheaper
    > and faster Telephone and Internet services than you're currently
    > getting....."
    >
    > I say: "NO they cant because I'm on Telstra Clear (Paradise) cable that
    > is a LOT faster than anything Slingshot offers and I'm quite happy with
    > the price I'm paying for Telstra Clears Telephone, Internet, and Cable
    > TV services."
    >
    > She: Ummmm Ahhh well......
    >
    > Me: Goodbye. Hangs up phone.
    >
    > Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to
    > targeting other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    > And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?

    I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if they
    could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I got
    back to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......

    Wast there time and I never say YES or NO or any that could be taken as
    a yes or no.

    Robert Cooze, Aug 9, 2007
  7. Max Burke

    Tony Guest

    > I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if they
    > could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I got
    > back to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......

    I like this approach, you call during my dinner time, and you can wait
    till the end of it :)
    Tony, Aug 9, 2007
  8. Max Burke

    Peter Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > My phone starts ringing....
    > I pick it up....

    Telephone spam is getting worse.
    I just say I have a policy of not responding to telephone spam, and politely
    tell them have a nice day, goodbye.

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 9, 2007
  9. Max Burke

    Barry Lennox Guest

    wrote:

    >My phone starts ringing....
    >
    >I pick it up....
    >
    >I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international call
    >from a third world country)
    >
    >Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking to the
    >person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet bills?"

    These are becoming a little too frequent.

    So my MO is now to wait until they finish their spiel, and say "Sorry,
    I didn't understand any of that, what was it all again?". They repeat
    it, so then my response is "I'll put you on hold" and walk away
    leaving the phone open. Sometime later, hang it up.

    That approach wastes their time much more than just hanging up, so
    that they get through less calls per day.
    Barry Lennox, Aug 9, 2007
  10. Max Burke

    Apairateef Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >> I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if they
    >> could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I got back
    >> to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......
    >>

    > I like this approach, you call during my dinner time, and you can wait
    > till the end of it :)

    Should try something like this heh heh except tell them to call another
    number cos you're not interested but a friend is...and make it a business or
    something.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RRsOK9EQg

    Sarns
    Apairateef, Aug 9, 2007
  11. Max Burke

    XPD Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    > My phone starts ringing....
    >
    > I pick it up....
    >
    > I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international
    > call from a third world country)
    >
    > Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking to
    > the person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet
    > bills?"

    Yeah I had the same sort of call a few months ago..... the guy couldnt get
    it through his head that I got FREE cellphone calls and kept saying they
    could do better...... what, youre going to pay me to make calls ? :)
    XPD, Aug 9, 2007
  12. Max Burke

    thingy Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > Max Burke wrote:
    >> My phone starts ringing....
    >>
    >> I pick it up....
    >>
    >> I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international
    >> call from a third world country)
    >>
    >> Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking
    >> to the person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet
    >> bills?"
    >>
    >> I say yes, thinking it might be Telstra Clear.
    >>
    >> She then says: "Can I talk to you about how Slingshot can offer you a
    >> far better telephone and Internet service than Telstra Clear does."
    >>
    >> I say: "No, because Slingshot cant even come close to providing the
    >> services I currently get from Telstra Clear..."
    >>
    >> She doesn't take the hint, and says: "Slingshot can offer you cheaper
    >> and faster Telephone and Internet services than you're currently
    >> getting....."
    >>
    >> I say: "NO they cant because I'm on Telstra Clear (Paradise) cable
    >> that is a LOT faster than anything Slingshot offers and I'm quite
    >> happy with the price I'm paying for Telstra Clears Telephone,
    >> Internet, and Cable TV services."
    >>
    >> She: Ummmm Ahhh well......
    >>
    >> Me: Goodbye. Hangs up phone.
    >>
    >> Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to
    >> targeting other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    >> And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?
    >>

    > I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if they
    > could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I got
    > back to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......

    I just say I will get my partner who deals with thats stuff...and leave
    the phone on the bench...I rarely get calls though....I wonder if it is
    a ex-directory thing or plain lucky.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 9, 2007
  13. Max Burke

    Rob S Guest

    Apairateef wrote:
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>> I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if they
    >>> could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I got back
    >>> to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......
    >>>

    >> I like this approach, you call during my dinner time, and you can wait
    >> till the end of it :)

    > Should try something like this heh heh except tell them to call another
    > number cos you're not interested but a friend is...and make it a business or
    > something.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RRsOK9EQg
    >
    > Sarns

    LOL. They couldn't work out what was going on even when they switched to
    Urdu. Beautiful.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    It's a good thing Linux is under GNU (General Public License) or
    Microsoft would buy them out too! -- Kunphuzil
    Rob S, Aug 9, 2007
  14. On Aug 10, 8:05 am, Barry Lennox <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > So my MO is now to wait until they finish their spiel, and say "Sorry,
    > I didn't understand any of that, what was it all again?". They repeat
    > it, so then my response is "I'll put you on hold" and walk away
    > leaving the phone open. Sometime later, hang it up.
    >
    > That approach wastes their time much more than just hanging up, so
    > that they get through less calls per day.

    And it has the added benifits of reducing their 'productivity' and
    keeping them away from other people trying to have their dinner with
    their family.
    misanthropic_curmudgeon, Aug 9, 2007
  15. Max Burke

    Miche Guest

    In article <>,
    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > Interestingly, I received a call from TelstraClear yesterday trying to
    > pinch us from Telecom...
    >
    > I relayed how much crappier TC were than Telecom and rattled off a
    > couple of bad experiences, then said we wouldn't go near them. She
    > kept trying (very pushy), and I had to get pretty hard with her before
    > she'd let it go - harder than many people would be able to be.
    >
    > At least she had a kiwi accent, I guess.

    I just cut right across their first sentence with "we're not interested,
    thank you, goodbye" then hang up.

    Miche

    --
    In the monastery office --
    Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
    Miche, Aug 9, 2007
  16. Max Burke

    Wayne Sallee Guest

    Tony wrote on 8/9/2007 2:52 PM:

    >> I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if
    >> they could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I
    >> got back to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......
    >>

    > I like this approach, you call during my dinner time, and you can wait
    > till the end of it :)

    I always put telemarketers on hold. Only I put it in
    mute, that way if they try the hangup-redial trick,
    they just get a busy signal. :)

    I had one of those credit lending scamming
    telemarketers call me one time. I put them on hold,
    and about 30 minutes later I picked up the phone to
    see if they had hung up, and they were still on the
    phone, only they were talking to another victim. It
    was funny, I could hear the sales pitch, and the
    victim answer. The victims were even giving out
    their name, phone numbers, and other personal
    information. When they were through talking to one
    person, I could hear it ringing to another person,
    and they would give the sales pitch again. Some
    people would hang up immediately, and some would
    talk a bit, and then say no and hang up. After a
    while, after listening to quite a number of sales
    pitches to several people, I started giving them a
    hard time. I's say "That's a rip off, you people are
    pathetic" in a scratchy voice, and then I'd wait for
    their response. The telemarketer would try to ignore
    it, but then would say "hang on a second let me get
    this other person off the phone". He would go mess
    with something, and then come back and start back
    with his sales pitch, but I was still there :). I'd
    be quiet for a while, and then say again "That's a
    rip off you people are pathetic". I did this over
    and over, and they could not get me off the phone.
    They had no idea why my voice was bleeding through.
    It was so funny.

    Wayne Sallee

    Wayne Sallee, Aug 9, 2007
  17. Max Burke

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "> I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if they
    > could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I got back
    > to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......

    This is a good approach. At least that way, while they are holding, for
    however long they are not annoying someone else! Cheers

    Tony in Oz, Aug 9, 2007
  18. Max Burke

    frederick Guest

    Wayne Sallee wrote:
    > Tony wrote on 8/9/2007 2:52 PM:
    >>
    >>> I got something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I asked them if
    >>> they could hold and went off to finish dinner! They went there when I
    >>> got back to the phone. I don't argue any more I just.......
    >>>

    >> I like this approach, you call during my dinner time, and you can wait
    >> till the end of it :)

    > I always put telemarketers on hold. Only I put it in mute, that way if
    > they try the hangup-redial trick, they just get a busy signal. :)

    I do too. For a while I had my phone set up so that while they were on
    hold, they heard a Billy Graham sermon.
    frederick, Aug 9, 2007
  19. Max Burke

    SteveM Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in news::

    > My phone starts ringing....
    >
    > I pick it up....
    >
    > I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international
    > call from a third world country)
    >
    > Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking
    > to the person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet
    > bills?"
    >
    > I say yes, thinking it might be Telstra Clear.
    >
    > She then says: "Can I talk to you about how Slingshot can offer you a
    > far better telephone and Internet service than Telstra Clear does."
    >
    > I say: "No, because Slingshot cant even come close to providing the
    > services I currently get from Telstra Clear..."
    >
    > She doesn't take the hint, and says: "Slingshot can offer you cheaper
    > and faster Telephone and Internet services than you're currently
    > getting....."
    >
    > I say: "NO they cant because I'm on Telstra Clear (Paradise) cable
    > that is a LOT faster than anything Slingshot offers and I'm quite
    > happy with the price I'm paying for Telstra Clears Telephone,
    > Internet, and Cable TV services."
    >
    > She: Ummmm Ahhh well......
    >
    > Me: Goodbye. Hangs up phone.
    >
    > Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to
    > targeting other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    > And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?

    Got a similar one the other day from S**tshot. Really bad indian accent. I
    just hung up without hesitation (like I do with all telemarketers).

    I can't understand from a business perspective (apart from the cost of
    labor) why you would employ a company in India to do this, especially in
    regards to the terrible accent these operators have.

    In my mind it pisses of potential customers, lowers the opinion of the
    company being touted, and their hit rate must be a lot lower than using
    local people.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Aug 10, 2007
  20. Max Burke

    Steve B Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:10:56 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <>
    wrote:

    >"Max Burke" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> My phone starts ringing....
    >>
    >> I pick it up....
    >>
    >> I immediately notice that it's a very bad line. (like an international
    >> call from a third world country)
    >>
    >> Then a female with a VERY strong Indian accent asks me "Am I speaking
    >> to the person who looks after the Telstra Clear telephone and Internet
    >> bills?"
    >>
    >> I say yes, thinking it might be Telstra Clear.
    >>
    >> She then says: "Can I talk to you about how Slingshot can offer you a
    >> far better telephone and Internet service than Telstra Clear does."
    >>
    >> I say: "No, because Slingshot cant even come close to providing the
    >> services I currently get from Telstra Clear..."
    >>
    >> She doesn't take the hint, and says: "Slingshot can offer you cheaper
    >> and faster Telephone and Internet services than you're currently
    >> getting....."
    >>
    >> I say: "NO they cant because I'm on Telstra Clear (Paradise) cable
    >> that is a LOT faster than anything Slingshot offers and I'm quite
    >> happy with the price I'm paying for Telstra Clears Telephone,
    >> Internet, and Cable TV services."
    >>
    >> She: Ummmm Ahhh well......
    >>
    >> Me: Goodbye. Hangs up phone.
    >>
    >> Is slingshot so desperate for customers that they're resorting to
    >> targeting other companies customers from overseas call centres??
    >> And where did they get Telstra Clears customer information from?
    >>

    >Got a similar one the other day from S**tshot. Really bad indian accent. I
    >just hung up without hesitation (like I do with all telemarketers).
    >
    >I can't understand from a business perspective (apart from the cost of
    >labor) why you would employ a company in India to do this, especially in
    >regards to the terrible accent these operators have.
    >
    >In my mind it pisses of potential customers, lowers the opinion of the
    >company being touted, and their hit rate must be a lot lower than using
    >local people.
    >
    >SteveM

    Hourly pay (Indian) x hit-rate (from Indian accent)
    Hourly pay (NZer) x [hit-rate (from NZ accent) + hit-rate from
    NZ-Indian, NZ-Chinese etc]

    Probably hugely in favour of the Indian solution.

    Now there would be an original response: "You sound like you come from
    Deolali. Do you know my uncle...?"

    Steve
    Steve B, Aug 10, 2007