    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 21, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >I accidentally hit 'Alt-tab' in KDE 3.3 just a short while ago, with no
    >programs other than the desktop running. The box KDE puts on the screen
    >when there is nothing to Tab to is a nice touch...
    >
    >" * * * NO WINDOWS * * * "

    I'm running KDE 3.2.1 under SuSE 9.1, and on an empty desktop it says
    "*** No Tasks ***".

    I think in 3.3 it's still referring to the GUI object, rather than the
    trademark claimed by everybody's favourite closed-source software
    company. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >

    >>I accidentally hit 'Alt-tab' in KDE 3.3 just a short while ago, with no
    >>programs other than the desktop running. The box KDE puts on the screen
    >>when there is nothing to Tab to is a nice touch...
    >>
    >>" * * * NO WINDOWS * * * "

    > I'm running KDE 3.2.1 under SuSE 9.1, and on an empty desktop it says
    > "*** No Tasks ***".
    >
    > I think in 3.3 it's still referring to the GUI object, rather than the
    > trademark claimed by everybody's favourite closed-source software
    > company. :)

    I wonder if its an intentional wee pun? If it is its quite cheeky of
    Novell/SuSE to do that considering they don't have the testicles to
    release any useful media-encoders with later versions of SuSE. I see
    that SuSE 9.3 Pro doesn't have MP3 playback capability let alone the
    MP3 encoding. Its still able to be downloaded, but that might come to
    an end with this MS-led patent agenda taking hold...

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 24, 2005
  4. In article <426b92c4$>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >I see that SuSE 9.3 Pro doesn't have MP3 playback capability let alone the
    >MP3 encoding. Its still able to be downloaded, but that might come to
    >an end with this MS-led patent agenda taking hold...

    It's still Linux. That means that even if SuSE doesn't provide the
    download, somebody else will. They'd have to shut down MPlayer, LAME,
    and a whole bunch of other open-source efforts before they could
    completely block off MP3 capability for Linux.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 25, 2005
  5. Chris Wilkinson

    Peter Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > It's still Linux. That means that even if SuSE doesn't provide the
    > download, somebody else will. They'd have to shut down MPlayer, LAME,
    > and a whole bunch of other open-source efforts before they could
    > completely block off MP3 capability for Linux.

    Yeah right - just like they shut down decss.
    The decode systems proliferated everywhere. Someone even wrote a decoder in
    haiku!

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 25, 2005
  6. Chris Wilkinson

    shannon Guest

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 22:38:54 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I accidentally hit 'Alt-tab' in KDE 3.3 just a short while ago, with no
    >>>programs other than the desktop running. The box KDE puts on the screen
    >>>when there is nothing to Tab to is a nice touch...
    >>>
    >>>" * * * NO WINDOWS * * * "

    >> I'm running KDE 3.2.1 under SuSE 9.1, and on an empty desktop it says
    >> "*** No Tasks ***".
    >>
    >> I think in 3.3 it's still referring to the GUI object, rather than the
    >> trademark claimed by everybody's favourite closed-source software
    >> company. :)

    > I wonder if its an intentional wee pun? If it is its quite cheeky of
    > Novell/SuSE to do that considering they don't have the testicles to
    > release any useful media-encoders with later versions of SuSE. I see
    > that SuSE 9.3 Pro doesn't have MP3 playback capability let alone the
    > MP3 encoding. Its still able to be downloaded, but that might come to
    > an end with this MS-led patent agenda taking hold...

    Probably not, Suse allow you to install unlimited copies from one set of
    install media, which doesn't suit the mp3 encoder per user licensing model.
    Linspire are quite happy to sell their linux distro with an mp3 encoder
    though, and an all in one application.
    http://info.linspire.com/lsongs/

    shannon, Apr 25, 2005
  7. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <426b92c4$>,
    > Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:
    >

    >>I see that SuSE 9.3 Pro doesn't have MP3 playback capability let alone the
    >>MP3 encoding. Its still able to be downloaded, but that might come to
    >>an end with this MS-led patent agenda taking hold...

    > It's still Linux. That means that even if SuSE doesn't provide the
    > download, somebody else will. They'd have to shut down MPlayer, LAME,
    > and a whole bunch of other open-source efforts before they could
    > completely block off MP3 capability for Linux.

    SuSE went as far as removing any mpeg/mp3/mp2 encoding software
    from packages that normally compile those by default, with SuSE
    9.2. Now with SuSE 9.3 the *decoders* are apparently gone too...

    The authors of amsn, xine, ffmpeg, and other open-source apps are
    warning on their websites that their forced shutdown may become a
    reality...

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 25, 2005
  8. Hi there,

    Peter wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>It's still Linux. That means that even if SuSE doesn't provide the
    >>download, somebody else will. They'd have to shut down MPlayer, LAME,
    >>and a whole bunch of other open-source efforts before they could
    >>completely block off MP3 capability for Linux.

    > Yeah right - just like they shut down decss.
    > The decode systems proliferated everywhere. Someone even wrote a decoder in
    > haiku!

    The decss package hasn't been updated for a year, but it works 99% of
    the time by all accounts...

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 25, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    Peter <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> It's still Linux. That means that even if SuSE doesn't provide the
    >> download, somebody else will. They'd have to shut down MPlayer, LAME,
    >> and a whole bunch of other open-source efforts before they could
    >> completely block off MP3 capability for Linux.

    >Yeah right - just like they shut down decss.
    >The decode systems proliferated everywhere. Someone even wrote a decoder in
    >haiku!

    Exactly. Even if the original open-source project sites are shut down,
    someone will open new sites somewhere else. It's unstoppable.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 26, 2005
  10. Chris Wilkinson

    Guest

    Actually, you can find a torrent file for Linspire Five-0 and download
    it for free (that's what I did), and Linspire Five-0 includes both
    LSongs and LPhoto (although you may also want Gimp).

    , Apr 27, 2005