    following my project to experience "the real" Linspire, FOR FREE!!!
    ------------------

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 1, 2005

  2. PAM.

    Phstpok Guest

    PAM. stubbed out the damp squib on 1/09/2005 2:51 p.m.and tried to bring
    to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > http://freespire.jasp.com/
    >
    > Especially at the bottom....
    > -----snippet------
    > To help alleviate any confusion, I contacted Linspire and they made an
    > extremely generous offer to us all. They want everyone who has been
    > following my project to experience "the real" Linspire, FOR FREE!!!
    > ------------------
    >
    > PAM.

    Thankee for that. Downloading now.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Sep 1, 2005

  3. PAM.

    XPD Guest

    "Phstpok" <> wrote in message

    > Thankee for that. Downloading now.
    >
    > Rob

    Ditto :)

    XPD, Sep 1, 2005
  4. PAM.

    RdM Guest

    "XPD" <> in

    > > Thankee for that. Downloading now.
    > >
    > > Rob

    > Ditto :)

    How big is the iso?
    (I'm on dialup - but perhaps a friend on "broadband" might d/l for me!)

    RdM, Sep 1, 2005
  5. PAM.

    Phstpok Guest

    RdM stubbed out the damp squib on 1/09/2005 7:07 p.m.and tried to bring
    to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > "XPD" <> in
    >

    >>>Thankee for that. Downloading now.
    >>>
    >>>Rob

    >>Ditto :)

    > How big is the iso?
    > (I'm on dialup - but perhaps a friend on "broadband" might d/l for me!)

    About 650mb

    Wherefore art thou (I'm in Melrose, Wgtn, happy to burn if u can pickup)

    Rob

    Phstpok, Sep 1, 2005
  6. PAM.

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:07:59 +1200, RdM <> wrote:

    >"XPD" <> in
    >
    >> > Thankee for that. Downloading now.
    >> >
    >> > Rob

    >> Ditto :)

    >How big is the iso?
    >(I'm on dialup - but perhaps a friend on "broadband" might d/l for me!)

    661.9MB. It's downloading at 201KB/sec for me from their FTP server.

    Craig Shore, Sep 1, 2005
  7. PAM.

    RdM Guest

    Phstpok raised a pearl of wisdom to his monocular and remarked kindly in
    nz.comp<4316c4df$>:

    > RdM stubbed out the damp squib on 1/09/2005 7:07 p.m.and tried to bring
    > to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > > "XPD" <> in

    > >>Ditto :)

    > > How big is the iso?
    > > (I'm on dialup - but perhaps a friend on "broadband" might d/l for me!)

    > About 650mb
    >
    > Wherefore art thou (I'm in Melrose, Wgtn, happy to burn if u can pickup)
    >
    > Rob

    I'm in Auckland;- ( but I could send you a stamped self-addressed envelope
    and something to cover the cost of the blank;-!) (or similiarly to anyone?)

    BTW, a brief look around the Linspire site didn't gain me much info on
    hardware requirements - I assume it's for PC only - howbeit on older PC's?

    Thanks and regards;-
    --
    Ross M

    NB nz not zz to reply

    RdM, Sep 1, 2005
  8. PAM.

    Phstpok Guest

    RdM stubbed out the damp squib on 1/09/2005 9:45 p.m.and tried to bring
    to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    > Phstpok raised a pearl of wisdom to his monocular and remarked kindly in
    > nz.comp<4316c4df$>:
    >

    >>RdM stubbed out the damp squib on 1/09/2005 7:07 p.m.and tried to bring
    >>to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    >>
    >>>"XPD" <> in

    >>>How big is the iso?
    >>>(I'm on dialup - but perhaps a friend on "broadband" might d/l for me!)

    >>About 650mb
    >>
    >>Wherefore art thou (I'm in Melrose, Wgtn, happy to burn if u can pickup)
    >>
    >>Rob

    > I'm in Auckland;- ( but I could send you a stamped self-addressed envelope
    > and something to cover the cost of the blank;-!) (or similiarly to anyone?)
    >
    > BTW, a brief look around the Linspire site didn't gain me much info on
    > hardware requirements - I assume it's for PC only - howbeit on older PC's?
    >
    > Thanks and regards;-

    They have a hardware compatibility page there somewhere.

    Hapy to post, but I'm housebound (one of the dreaded invalid
    beneficiaries) so have to wait for family to get anything to post shops.

    If no-one closer responds, try phstpok5 at aim dot com

    Rob

    Phstpok, Sep 1, 2005
  9. PAM.

    RdM Guest

    Phstpok <> wrote, inter alia:

    > > BTW, a brief look around the Linspire site didn't gain me much info on
    > > hardware requirements - I assume it's for PC only - howbeit on older PC's?

    > They have a hardware compatibility page there somewhere.

    Thanks; I'll have a closer look;- and might be in touch anyway.

    RdM, Sep 1, 2005
  10. PAM.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Phstpok" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Thankee for that. Downloading now.
    >>
    >> Rob

    > Ditto :)

    Aye. TYVM.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 1, 2005
  11. PAM.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > RdM stubbed out the damp squib on 1/09/2005 9:45 p.m.and tried to
    > bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
    >> Phstpok raised a pearl of wisdom to his monocular and remarked
    >> kindly in nz.comp<4316c4df$>:
    >>

    >>> RdM stubbed out the damp squib on 1/09/2005 7:07 p.m.and tried to
    >>> bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:

    >>> About 650mb
    >>>
    >>> Wherefore art thou (I'm in Melrose, Wgtn, happy to burn if u can
    >>> pickup) Rob

    >> I'm in Auckland;- ( but I could send you a stamped self-addressed
    >> envelope and something to cover the cost of the blank;-!) (or
    >> similiarly to anyone?) BTW, a brief look around the Linspire site didn't
    >> gain me much info
    >> on hardware requirements - I assume it's for PC only - howbeit on
    >> older PC's? Thanks and regards;-

    > They have a hardware compatibility page there somewhere.
    >
    > Hapy to post, but I'm housebound (one of the dreaded invalid
    > beneficiaries) so have to wait for family to get anything to post
    > shops.
    > If no-one closer responds, try phstpok5 at aim dot com

    I'm qued for download now, will leave it going overnight I guess once
    started (63rd in line). I'm just down the road in Pukekohe and don't mind
    burning you a copy. I'm not quite housebound but I only go out when I need
    to as I have to load up on meds to do it.

    If you're not in a hurry for a copy (say, in the post next week some time)
    then send your physical addy to misfitnz at gmail dot com and I'll fire you
    off a disk next time I go into the post shop (Once a week to pay for
    pre-power, just gone up!)

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 1, 2005
  12. PAM.

    Phstpok Guest

    Take care if trying to run off cd. Tried it couple of hours ago and half
    asleep nearly missed the prompt and install to hd. Just caught it in time.

    Gotta remember patience. And play with it on a sacrificial drive.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Sep 1, 2005
  13. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "RdM" <> wrote in message
    > BTW, a brief look around the Linspire site didn't gain me much info on
    > hardware requirements - I assume it's for PC only - howbeit on older PC's?

    www.lfriendly.com should redirect you to the right pages.

    However, it does work on other hardware. Forums are the best place to ask
    this sort of thing I reckon.

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 1, 2005
  14. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "RdM" <> wrote in message
    > How big is the iso?
    > (I'm on dialup - but perhaps a friend on "broadband" might d/l for me!)

    2-3 days on dialup, downloading

    :)

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 1, 2005
  15. PAM.

    Alan Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    > It's downloading at 201KB/sec for me from their FTP server.

    On Orcon?

    I might have to have a look at them!

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 2, 2005
  16. PAM.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > Take care if trying to run off cd. Tried it couple of hours ago and
    > half asleep nearly missed the prompt and install to hd. Just caught
    > it in time.
    > Gotta remember patience. And play with it on a sacrificial drive.

    Thanks for the tip Rob, I'm just burning a copy now (d/l'ed overnight) and
    was about to try it. I would have been mightily annoyed to have overwritten
    my current OS. I don't really have a sacrificial drive, I may just unplug
    the IDE from the HDD instead.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2005
  17. PAM.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > "RdM" <> wrote in message
    >> How big is the iso?
    >> (I'm on dialup - but perhaps a friend on "broadband" might d/l for
    >> me!)

    > 2-3 days on dialup, downloading
    >
    > :)

    If it's a hassle then stop it and give me your addy, I'll get you a CD copy
    in the mail sometime. misfitnz at gmail dot com. It downloaded overnight
    here on 256k UBS. 5 or 6 hours I believe.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 2, 2005
  18. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > If it's a hassle then stop it and give me your addy, I'll get you a CD

    copy
    > in the mail sometime. misfitnz at gmail dot com. It downloaded overnight
    > here on 256k UBS. 5 or 6 hours I believe.

    I was just stating how long it would take. It took me that long when I did
    it before I got BB.

    Incidentally, I now have 2Mb download and it took me probably 10 hours + to
    download elive_0.3.iso (645Mb) using bittorrent. Transferring this file from
    one directory to another on the same PC to tidy the downloads directory up,
    it showed the speed at which it was transferring. 2Mb. It made the transfer
    in a few minutes.

    2Mb Boradband doenload? PAH!

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 2, 2005
  19. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the tip Rob, I'm just burning a copy now (d/l'ed overnight) and
    > was about to try it. I would have been mightily annoyed to have

    overwritten
    > my current OS. I don't really have a sacrificial drive, I may just unplug
    > the IDE from the HDD instead.

    I'd be interested to hear everyones thoughts. What's good. What's bad.

    I know for instance that it's fast to install but slow to boot (I believe
    there's a commmandline fix for this)
    It does not have loads of apps. Just a minimum but all you should really
    need unless you want something specific. You use Click N Run (CNR) to get
    any other apps you want.
    There is a CNR aisle where you can download some apps whilst not subscribed
    to CNR (US$19.95 a year).

    http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_aisle.php?aisleid=10433

    PAM.

    PAM., Sep 2, 2005
  20. PAM.

    RdM Guest

    "~misfit~" kindly offered in
    nz.comp<>:

    > If you're not in a hurry for a copy (say, in the post next week some time)
    > then send your physical addy to misfitnz at gmail dot com and I'll fire you
    > off a disk next time I go into the post shop

    Thanks;- I'll do that; let me have yours too and I'll send a blank and SAE.

    RdM, Sep 2, 2005