    the USA have concluded.

    I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It shows
    that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

    Bruce, May 10, 2012

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce <> wrote:

    >... but I cannot reveal what they are. Sorry! :-(
    >
    >The news is embargoed worldwide until Leica product seminars across
    >the USA have concluded.
    >
    >I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It shows
    >that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

    The deadline has passed and the three products announced today can be
    revealed:

    1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    up to ISO 10,000.

    2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
    aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
    sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

    3. Leica X2 autofocus compact P&S with 16 MP APS-C sensor (up from the
    12 MP of the X1), 24mm f/2.8 lens (full frame equivalent focal length
    of 35mm) and a socket for an accessory EVF.

    The seminar will continue tomorrow and may include further
    announcements. However the M10 rangefinder and new mirrorless system
    camera/lenses are unlikely to appear before Photokina in September.

    Bruce, May 10, 2012

  3. Bruce

    Rol_Lei Nut Guest

    On 5/10/2012 21:50, Bruce wrote:
    > Bruce<> wrote:

    > 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    > need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    > up to ISO 10,000.
    >
    > 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
    > aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
    > sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.
    >
    > 3. Leica X2 autofocus compact P&S with 16 MP APS-C sensor (up from the
    > 12 MP of the X1), 24mm f/2.8 lens (full frame equivalent focal length
    > of 35mm) and a socket for an accessory EVF.

    None of them seem especially interesting....

    1) B&W is the main area where film can remain distinct from digital (an
    argument could be made for colour slides as well, but the classic "slide
    show" is had to get across now). Part of it is the ease of home
    processing (at least negative developing), part the fascinaton of the
    process itself and part the final results - a good B&W "wet print" is
    still unmatched by any other digital-compatible printing process.
    The problem is, for the price of the M Monochrom, you can buy lots (and
    really lots) of film.

    2) Good news, if you like the 50mm FL... ;-)

    3) Lots of very good competition in that sector. The Leica is unlikely
    to make any breakthrough there, either.

    Seriously now, when will some manufacturer come out with a full-frame
    EVIL camera which will accept any 35mm format lens ever made?

    Rol_Lei Nut, May 10, 2012
  4. Bruce

    MC Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > Bruce <> wrote:
    >
    > > ... but I cannot reveal what they are. Sorry! :-(
    > >
    > > The news is embargoed worldwide until Leica product seminars across
    > > the USA have concluded.
    > >
    > > I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It
    > > shows that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

    > The deadline has passed and the three products announced today can be
    > revealed:
    >
    > 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    > need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    > up to ISO 10,000.
    >
    > 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
    > aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
    > sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.
    >
    > 3. Leica X2 autofocus compact P&S with 16 MP APS-C sensor (up from the
    > 12 MP of the X1), 24mm f/2.8 lens (full frame equivalent focal length
    > of 35mm) and a socket for an accessory EVF.
    >
    > The seminar will continue tomorrow and may include further
    > announcements. However the M10 rangefinder and new mirrorless system
    > camera/lenses are unlikely to appear before Photokina in September.

    I can't help but feel that a monochrome M is a going into a very niche
    market, especially at the price. There are going to be very few
    situations which are going to require such precise b&w imagery from a
    rangefinder especially when you can, with effort, get an "as near as
    damn it" b&w image using post processing and at a fraction of the
    price. There will be very few people who will be able to tell the
    difference with the naked eye anyway.

    Will it sell? Maybe. With Leica's track record and with a few people
    still around with more money that sense, it could do OK. However, I
    shall not be putting it on my list to Santa.

    MC

    MC, May 10, 2012
  5. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    "Rol_Lei Nut" <> wrote in message
    >> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    >> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    >> up to ISO 10,000.

    > 1) B&W is the main area where film can remain distinct from digital (an
    > argument could be made for colour slides as well, but the classic "slide
    > show" is had to get across now). Part of it is the ease of home processing
    > (at least negative developing), part the fascinaton of the process itself
    > and part the final results - a good B&W "wet print" is still unmatched by
    > any other digital-compatible printing process.
    > The problem is, for the price of the M Monochrom, you can buy lots (and
    > really lots) of film.

    But where can you buy film that has "low noise up to 10,000 ISO" with
    resolution to match an 18MP camera?
    Like *ALL* Leica equipment though, it's not for everyone.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, May 10, 2012
  6. Bruce

    Nick Fotis Guest

    On 10/05/2012 22:50, Bruce wrote:

    > 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    > need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    > up to ISO 10,000.

    This reminds me the Kodak DCS760M, which was probably the best
    black&white CCD camera.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/kodak-760m.shtml

    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 11, 2012
  7. Bruce

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/10/2012 12:44 PM, Bruce wrote:
    > ... but I cannot reveal what they are. Sorry! :-(
    >
    > The news is embargoed worldwide until Leica product seminars across
    > the USA have concluded.
    >
    > I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It shows
    > that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

    And the purpose for your posting is?

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 11, 2012
  8. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On May 10, 7:09 pm, Noons <> wrote:
    > On May 11, 8:41 am, "Trevor" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > The problem is, for the price of the M Monochrom, you can buy lots (and
    > > > really lots) of film.

    > Very true.
    >
    > > But where can you buy film that has "low noise up to 10,000 ISO" with
    > > resolution to match an 18MP camera?

    > And who the heck would need ISO 10000?

    Someone replicating Tri-X grain?

    RichA, May 11, 2012
  9. On 5/10/2012 7:09 PM, PeterN wrote:

    > And the purpose for your posting is?

    To demonstrate that he reads LeicaRumors.com, I guess.

    --
    Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
    You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing

    Mike Benveniste, May 11, 2012
  10. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    []
    > 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    > need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    > up to ISO 10,000.

    The omission of an AA filter is typical Leica marketing, particularly on a
    camera designed for high-quality lenses where the need for such a filter
    is greater. At least the more objectionable colour artefacts will be
    missing as it's a monochrome camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 11, 2012
  11. Bruce <> wrote:

    > 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    > need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    > up to ISO 10,000.

    Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
    to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

    I wish them luck. There should be more dedicated monochrome
    cameras.

    No AA filter also means that the:

    > 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
    > aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
    > sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

    won't be a good match outside controlled situations where aliasing
    can be detected before the situation has ended.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 11, 2012
  12. Bruce

    Noons Guest

    Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:

    > 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    > need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    > up to ISO 10,000.

    Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge together
    three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern autochrome @ 10000.

    > 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
    > aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
    > sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

    Yummy! Pity the price...

    Noons, May 11, 2012
  13. Noons <> writes:

    > Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:
    >

    >> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    >> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    >> up to ISO 10,000.

    > Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
    > together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
    > autochrome @ 10000.

    It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
    theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
    Prokudin-Gorsky photos (<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/>); my RGB
    merges are at <http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/>.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 11, 2012
  14. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    "Noons" <> wrote in message
    >> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    >> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    >> up to ISO 10,000.

    > Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
    > together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
    > autochrome @ 10000.

    Leica will be glad if there really are people that stupid, but somehow I
    doubt that's the target market!

    >> 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
    >> aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
    >> sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

    > Yummy! Pity the price...

    What did you expect from Leica, Sigma prices?
    You really are dreaming!

    Trevor.

    Trevor, May 11, 2012
  15. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >> Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
    >> together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
    >> autochrome @ 10000.

    > It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
    > theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
    > Prokudin-Gorsky photos (<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/>); my RGB
    > merges are at <http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/>.

    And I used to do it for special effects 40 years ago, I sure as hell don't
    need to do it for normal photo's though.
    And I'm even more sure I don't need to buy a Mono Leica to take color
    photo's! :)
    Now B&W photography where that 10,000 ISO would be really usable might be
    another matter however, but only if Canon or Nikon decided to offer a body
    with such a sensor.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, May 11, 2012
  16. Bruce

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/11/2012 10:44 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > Noons<> writes:
    >
    >> Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:
    >>

    >>> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
    >>> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
    >>> up to ISO 10,000.

    >> Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
    >> together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
    >> autochrome @ 10000.

    > It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
    > theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
    > Prokudin-Gorsky photos (<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/>); my RGB
    > merges are at<http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/>.

    Interesting experiments.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 12, 2012
  17. On 11/05/2012 13:37, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
    > to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

    Filters on the lens will be needed in some very specific situations
    (landscapes, studio) for those a high ISO usually don't be required.

    Laszlo Lebrun, May 12, 2012
  18. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Mxsmanic
    <> wrote:

    > > The omission of an AA filter is typical Leica marketing, particularly on a
    > > camera designed for high-quality lenses where the need for such a filter
    > > is greater. At least the more objectionable colour artefacts will be
    > > missing as it's a monochrome camera.

    > Any artifacts from aliasing can be corrected in post.

    no they can't

    nospam, May 12, 2012
  19. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Mxsmanic
    <> wrote:

    > > Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
    > > to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

    > What filters are needed on the lens?

    usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

    nospam, May 12, 2012
  20. Bruce

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Mxsmanic
    <> wrote:

    > > Great specs, but the images look like crap on DP Review. What a waste.

    > Eighteen megapixels is low resolution for monochrome. I used to shoot
    > Technical Pan in B&W, which will blow 18 megapixels away easily.

    no it won't. according to roger clark, tech pan is roughly equivalent
    to 16-18 mp.

    nospam, May 12, 2012