Interesting HP Color Printer Technology...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by =\(8\), Apr 23, 2007.

  1. =\(8\)

    =\(8\) Guest

    =\(8\), Apr 23, 2007

  2. Gary Eickmeier, Apr 24, 2007

  3. =\(8\)

    ray Guest

    ray, Apr 24, 2007
  4. =\(8\)

    Eddie Guest

    ray submitted this idea :
    > On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:37:38 -0700, =(8) wrote:
    >
    >> Take a look at this...
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-volume-inkjet-so-good-they-wont-sell-it.html
    >>
    >> Sounds interesting.
    >>
    >> =(8)

    > You might also look at the new Kodak all-in-ones. They are supposed to use
    > significantly less ink though it does not sound like quite the same
    > technology - the kodak units are for sale.

    I believe the selling point of the Kodak's isn't that they use less
    ink, its that Kodak is charging less for the ink than other brands.
    Eddie, Apr 24, 2007
  5. =\(8\)

    =\(8\) Guest

    "Eddie" <ekirstein*takethispartout*@catskill.net> wrote in message
    > ray submitted this idea :
    >> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:37:38 -0700, =(8) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Take a look at this...
    >>>
    >>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-volume-inkjet-so-good-they-wont-sell-it.html
    >>>
    >>> Sounds interesting.
    >>>
    >>> =(8)

    >> You might also look at the new Kodak all-in-ones. They are supposed to
    >> use
    >> significantly less ink though it does not sound like quite the same
    >> technology - the kodak units are for sale.

    > I believe the selling point of the Kodak's isn't that they use less ink,
    > its that Kodak is charging less for the ink than other brands.

    Shame its' Kodak though.

    =(8)
    =\(8\), Apr 24, 2007
  6. =\(8\)

    Pete Guest

    Pete, Apr 24, 2007
  7. =\(8\)

    =\(8\) Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 23, 1:37 pm, "=\(8\)" <> wrote:
    >> Take a look at this...
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070422-hps-ultra-efficient-hig...
    >>
    >> Sounds interesting.
    >>
    >> =(8)

    > Is this a 'photo' printer?

    Yes, just like a color laser printer can print photos. While I don't think
    color lasers are acceptable for photo prints. Many think they are. So it is
    an each your own type of thing. It is inkjet and not toner based. I think
    the idea of a no moving print head the width of the paper is interesting. So
    is the laying down of the special layer of whatever to help the ink do its
    thing.

    =(8)
    =\(8\), Apr 24, 2007
  8. =\(8\)

    Bystander Guest

    In article <462e41c3$0$14122$>,
    "=\(8\)" <> wrote:

    > "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > > On Apr 23, 1:37 pm, "=\(8\)" <> wrote:
    > >> Take a look at this...
    > >>
    > >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070422-hps-ultra-efficient-hig...
    > >>
    > >> Sounds interesting.
    > >>
    > >> =(8)

    > > Is this a 'photo' printer?
    > >

    > Yes, just like a color laser printer can print photos. While I don't think
    > color lasers are acceptable for photo prints. Many think they are. So it is
    > an each your own type of thing. It is inkjet and not toner based. I think
    > the idea of a no moving print head the width of the paper is interesting. So
    > is the laying down of the special layer of whatever to help the ink do its
    > thing.
    >
    > =(8)

    Actually, the first appearance of Edgeline technology was in a
    photokiosk printer HP put out last year, which used six colours -- CMYK
    plus light C and light M. Although larger current Edgeline devices all
    use CMYK plus bonding agent, it's not hard to add extra print head
    arrays, for quality or speed. The Edgeline does a page a second at
    present up to US tabloid size, and could run even faster with more print
    elements.

    I spoke to some HP people a couple of weeks ago -- they say Edgeline
    "wants to go upwards", meaning it is unlikely to be used for high
    quality low volume printing such as personal level photo-quality
    printing. Basically it's similar to old line printers, except instead of
    arrays of dozens of little electromechanical hammers it has arrays of
    thousands of tiny computer-controlled ink nozzles.

    This technology could eventually revolutionise the printing industry --
    how would you like glossy magazines printed with continuous tone photos?
    Or your own subscriber copy of Time or Newsweek collated to match your
    special interests, like Google News?

    I seriously think this could be the biggest thing HP has ever done. Not
    that it has much direct relevance to rec.photo.digital.
    --
    Bystander
    Bystander, Apr 25, 2007