Interesting first for myself

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DeMoN LaG, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I have an "old" machine I picked up off ebay that came in a nice huge case.
    It's a P2 350, 256 megs of PC133, an Adaptec 2490 UW SCSI card with a SCSI
    CDROM and a SCSI HD, plus an IDE CDROM and an IDE HD (I installed the IDE
    HD). I planned on using it as a caching proxy server and a few other
    things, so I added the IDE drive for extra space. As an afterthought, I
    decided I may want to play a little bit of Unreal Tournament on the
    machine, so I stuck my homeless Kyro II into the machine instead of the
    Rage Pro it came with. No video. Tried taking the HD out (Why not?) no
    video. Scratched my head, plugged it into a different monitor and hit the
    power, and watched as the Kyro II literally burst into flames. The
    underside of the board actually caught fire for about 15 seconds. Very
    scary first time experience. I never thought I'd actually see a component
    burst into flames. It was interesting, to say the least.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Dec 1, 2003

  2. DeMoN LaG

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > I have an "old" machine I picked up off ebay that came in a nice huge

    case.
    > It's a P2 350, 256 megs of PC133, an Adaptec 2490 UW SCSI card with a SCSI
    > CDROM and a SCSI HD, plus an IDE CDROM and an IDE HD (I installed the IDE
    > HD). I planned on using it as a caching proxy server and a few other
    > things, so I added the IDE drive for extra space. As an afterthought, I
    > decided I may want to play a little bit of Unreal Tournament on the
    > machine, so I stuck my homeless Kyro II into the machine instead of the
    > Rage Pro it came with. No video. Tried taking the HD out (Why not?) no
    > video. Scratched my head, plugged it into a different monitor and hit the
    > power, and watched as the Kyro II literally burst into flames. The
    > underside of the board actually caught fire for about 15 seconds. Very
    > scary first time experience. I never thought I'd actually see a component
    > burst into flames. It was interesting, to say the least.

    I guess that explains the lack of video ;-) Did it ruin anything else in
    the machine?
    Adam Steiner, Dec 1, 2003

  3. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in

    > I guess that explains the lack of video ;-) Did it ruin anything else in
    > the machine?

    That most certainly explained why the video wouldn't come up. I don't
    believe anything else was damaged, I put back in a the Rage Pro and
    everything seemed OK. I'm 30 minutes away from a full Mandrake 9.2 install
    on the machine, and so far nothing else seems to be wrong with it. I
    really wasn't worried, like, the entire machine (SCSI card, 2xCDs, HD, mobo
    CPU and RAM, case, PS, sound and NIC) cost me $24.95 + shipping (another
    $20), so I really wouldn't have been out much, but it was certainly nice to
    see that nothing else exploded into flames or anything.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 1, 2003
  4. DeMoN LaG

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I guess that explains the lack of video ;-) Did it ruin anything else

    in
    > > the machine?

    > That most certainly explained why the video wouldn't come up. I don't
    > believe anything else was damaged, I put back in a the Rage Pro and
    > everything seemed OK. I'm 30 minutes away from a full Mandrake 9.2

    install
    > on the machine, and so far nothing else seems to be wrong with it. I
    > really wasn't worried, like, the entire machine (SCSI card, 2xCDs, HD,

    mobo
    > CPU and RAM, case, PS, sound and NIC) cost me $24.95 + shipping (another
    > $20), so I really wouldn't have been out much, but it was certainly nice

    > see that nothing else exploded into flames or anything.

    Good to hear, even if it would only have been a $45 loss. My scariest
    moment came when i smoke started coming out of my laptop. Unplugged it and
    took it apart, the power port had three connections to the motherboard, one
    of which had cracked, so the small space between the cracks had constant
    electric arcs going through it and over the course of time a couple actually
    melted the motherboard. Had to have the motherboard replaced, but when I
    saw that smoke...man was it scary.
    --Adam
    Adam Steiner, Dec 1, 2003
  5. DeMoN LaG

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > I have an "old" machine I picked up off ebay that came in a nice huge

    case.
    > It's a P2 350, 256 megs of PC133, an Adaptec 2490 UW SCSI card with a SCSI
    > CDROM and a SCSI HD, plus an IDE CDROM and an IDE HD (I installed the IDE
    > HD). I planned on using it as a caching proxy server and a few other
    > things, so I added the IDE drive for extra space. As an afterthought, I
    > decided I may want to play a little bit of Unreal Tournament on the
    > machine, so I stuck my homeless Kyro II into the machine instead of the
    > Rage Pro it came with. No video. Tried taking the HD out (Why not?) no
    > video. Scratched my head, plugged it into a different monitor and hit the
    > power, and watched as the Kyro II literally burst into flames. The
    > underside of the board actually caught fire for about 15 seconds. Very
    > scary first time experience. I never thought I'd actually see a component
    > burst into flames. It was interesting, to say the least.

    Perhaps the AGP slot doesn't handle 1.5V cards?
    Thor, Dec 1, 2003
  6. DeMoN LaG

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > > I have an "old" machine I picked up off ebay that came in a nice huge

    > case.
    > > It's a P2 350, 256 megs of PC133, an Adaptec 2490 UW SCSI card with a

    SCSI
    > > CDROM and a SCSI HD, plus an IDE CDROM and an IDE HD (I installed the

    IDE
    > > HD). I planned on using it as a caching proxy server and a few other
    > > things, so I added the IDE drive for extra space. As an afterthought, I
    > > decided I may want to play a little bit of Unreal Tournament on the
    > > machine, so I stuck my homeless Kyro II into the machine instead of the
    > > Rage Pro it came with. No video. Tried taking the HD out (Why not?) no
    > > video. Scratched my head, plugged it into a different monitor and hit

    the
    > > power, and watched as the Kyro II literally burst into flames. The
    > > underside of the board actually caught fire for about 15 seconds. Very
    > > scary first time experience. I never thought I'd actually see a

    component
    > > burst into flames. It was interesting, to say the least.

    > Perhaps the AGP slot doesn't handle 1.5V cards?

    Evidently...

    hehehehehe

    Sorry DM, it's funny.
    Michael-NC, Dec 1, 2003
  7. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in news:Q6Hyb.40262$Vu5.2834064
    @twister.southeast.rr.com:

    > Evidently...
    >
    > hehehehehe
    >
    > Sorry DM, it's funny.

    No, that's definitely not it, as I moved the card from one Asus P2B into
    that box, which has an Asus P2B. The card had been acting kinda flaky, not
    giving video, causing a lock up now and then, and the fan had long since
    died (but the card never felt warm to the touch). It was hilarious though.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 2, 2003
  8. DeMoN LaG

    Plato Guest

    darn. I thought you were going to tell us you spent a night with the
    Hilton girls.
    Plato, Dec 4, 2003
  9. DeMoN LaG

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > died (but the card never felt warm to the touch). It was hilarious though.

    It's way more fun when it happens at a customers house tho.
    Plato, Dec 4, 2003