Interesting error message

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gerry Wolf, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Gerry Wolf

    Gerry Wolf Guest

    While re-installing Norton Anti-Virus, my son's computer stalled. Upon
    reset, the following error message came up:

    Error: An I/O Subsystem driver failed to load
    Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low
    on memory.

    The computer in question is a Home built P-III 500, with 512 mb RAM, running
    Windows 98SE, on a home network. Yesterday, the PSU burned up and the mobo
    and all components were transferred to a new case. This case has three fans
    and I don't think it's a heat problem. And a virus scan from Trend Micro
    identified a trojan that had been on the machine which was deleted.

    Any solution to this? As right now the system will not run. Or am I in for
    yet another reformat and start from scratch?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.BTW: Where is a .\iosubsys sub
    directory anyway?

    Gerry Wolf
    Gerry Wolf, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Gerry Wolf

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:09:54 GMT, "Gerry Wolf" <> wrote:

    |> While re-installing Norton Anti-Virus, my son's computer stalled. Upon
    |> reset, the following error message came up:
    |>
    |> Error: An I/O Subsystem driver failed to load
    |> Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low
    |> on memory.

    |> Any solution to this? As right now the system will not run. Or am I in for
    |> yet another reformat and start from scratch?
    |>
    |> Any suggestions would be appreciated.BTW: Where is a .\iosubsys sub
    |> directory anyway?

    Looks like iosubsys is a directory of virtual drivers.

    If I were to get this error, I'd hit F8 repeatedly when starting Win98
    until a menu appears and selecting create bootlog.txt and have it record
    the failure.

    Boot up with your Win98 boot disk and read C:\bootlog.txt.

    This is a partial listing of a bootlog.txt from my Win98se:

    [00002E50] Dynamic load device C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\apix.vxd
    [00002E50] Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\apix.vxd
    [00002E50] Dynamic load device C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\atapchng.vxd
    [00002E50] Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\atapchng.vxd

    I'd look for a failure and then replace that file.

    --
    , Feb 15, 2005