Interesting Comparison of Companies.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charles, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Charles

    Charles Guest

    I had been trying to decide on a new Camera, Nikon or Canon.

    I went looking for info on their websites.

    with Canon, I found the promotional broachers on line, as well as the
    owner's manual. I was able to download and read all the info there.

    with Nikon, there is a 4 page summary broachers, and a 16 page
    broachers. The 16 page one is not available on line, but can be found
    on EBAY. I wonder what secrets Nikon is afraid people will learn from
    reading promotional material.

    I decided on the Canon largely because the store was sold out of the
    Nikon, made the decision easier.

    --

    - Charles
    -

    Charles, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Charles

    Mark B. Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > I had been trying to decide on a new Camera, Nikon or Canon.
    >
    > I went looking for info on their websites.
    >
    > with Canon, I found the promotional broachers on line, as well as the
    > owner's manual. I was able to download and read all the info there.
    >
    > with Nikon, there is a 4 page summary broachers, and a 16 page
    > broachers. The 16 page one is not available on line, but can be found
    > on EBAY. I wonder what secrets Nikon is afraid people will learn from
    > reading promotional material.
    >
    > I decided on the Canon largely because the store was sold out of the
    > Nikon, made the decision easier.

    Seems like a silly reason to pick one over the other. Did it not occur to
    you to check other stores? I guess things like camera ergonomics & handling
    & lens selection don't mean anything to you?

    Mark B., Jul 12, 2004

  3. Charles

    bagal Guest

    yeh and why boast on a newsgroup of such a smart, ruthless and efficient
    purchasing strategy?

    das B

    bagal, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Charles

    George Guest

    Which Nikon site did you go to? With the Nikon-USA website, I've downloaded
    4 page brochures,
    16 page brochures, manuals, software, and firmware updates. It seems like
    most manufacturers (not just photo equipment) are putting manuals on-line as
    it makes their customers happy, saves printing costs, and answers a lot of
    questions for potential buyers as well.

    George, Jul 12, 2004
  5. Charles

    scott Guest

    "bagal" <> wrote in message
    > yeh and why boast on a newsgroup of such a smart, ruthless and efficient
    > purchasing strategy?
    >
    > das B
    >
    > "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    > > "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > > > I had been trying to decide on a new Camera, Nikon or Canon.
    > > >
    > > > I went looking for info on their websites.
    > > >
    > > > with Canon, I found the promotional broachers on line, as well as the
    > > > owner's manual. I was able to download and read all the info there.
    > > >
    > > > with Nikon, there is a 4 page summary broachers, and a 16 page
    > > > broachers. The 16 page one is not available on line, but can be found
    > > > on EBAY. I wonder what secrets Nikon is afraid people will learn from
    > > > reading promotional material.
    > > >
    > > > I decided on the Canon largely because the store was sold out of the
    > > > Nikon, made the decision easier.
    > > >

    > > Seems like a silly reason to pick one over the other. Did it not occur

    > > you to check other stores? I guess things like camera ergonomics &

    > handling
    > > & lens selection don't mean anything to you?

    And didn't you think *why* the stores had sold out?

    scott, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.

    I didn't go to other stores because I had already driven 1.5 hours to
    get where I was. They had what I considered good prices, were an
    established store that I had dealt with before because they had what I
    wanted at a good price.

    I had researched the Nikon and Canon models I was interested in, and
    was torn between the two, Canon for price, Nikon for name.

    Lens availably? I want a kick around zoom and a suitable macro lens,
    both lines have what I consider to be adequate representatives.

    If I were trying to re-use my existing lenses, I would have gone with
    Pentax, but they outdid themselves making the camera body so small
    that my big clumsy hands don't fit. Canon was usable.

    I checked B & H, whom I consider excellent, they were back ordered on
    both models I was considering. (Maybe some demand for them?)

    As for being sold out on Nikon, maybe they had fewer to start with, or
    more demand for them. They were sold out on the Canon when I left the
    store, I got the last one in stock.

    So, I did what I did, to great derision from other people. I have a
    camera that I think will do what I want it to do, and next year it all
    starts over again.

    --

    - Charles
    -

    Charles, Jul 13, 2004
  7. In article <>, mbohntrash54
    @comcast.net says...
    > Seems like a silly reason to pick one over the other. Did it not occur to
    > you to check other stores? I guess things like camera ergonomics & handling
    > & lens selection don't mean anything to you?

    Please. There are hardly enough differences between Nikon and Canon
    gear to make his choice unreasonable. He can afford to be "petty."

    Brian C. Baird, Jul 13, 2004
  8. what a marvellous spirit - i take back my earlier posting

    <confession time>
    when I went shopping for my first digital camera I think a fuse blew so I
    ended up going for one I knew worked well coz I knew someone that owned one

    I suppose I can't really brag about my strategies either :)

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 13, 2004