interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003.

  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:56:15 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
    >
    > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

    It is interesting that Linux, is now being compared to a commerical
    product/environment. To me Open Source is about everyone doing something
    for the greater improvement of all.

    The idea that the Penguin is taking on MS is rather compelling but quite
    frankly who cares if some people choose to use MS products?

    The real battle is keeping the playing field level.

    Gordon, Oct 22, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    Cost of Closed Software Re: interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
    >
    > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

    If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible with
    Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on the
    Linux-using customer.

    In short....this is actually a Windows cost.....not a Linux cost.

    The cost to your business of Microsft's closed technology should be sheeted
    home to Microsoft and Windows.....not Linux.

    If you go 100% Linux, and use screen-scapers to access "legacy" Windows
    apps, that cost disappears....and will go even lower once you get rid of
    the legacy Windows apps.

    The best way to do that is support choice...and go to Linux in order to make
    it worthwhile for software developers and vendors to allow you shed Windows
    completely.

    .......and get rid of that incompatibility tax Microsoft levies to shore up
    its monopoly.

    --
    defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
    operating system.

    steve, Oct 22, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Cost of Closed Software Re: interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

    "steve" wrote
    > > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
    > > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

    > If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible

    with
    > Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on the
    > Linux-using customer.

    Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
    Office.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    Allistar Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > "steve" wrote
    >> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
    >> > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

    >> If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible

    > with
    >> Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on
    >> the Linux-using customer.

    > Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
    > Office.

    I don't think a file format can be a "standard" unless it is open.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 22, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    Peter Guest

    Re: Cost of Closed Software

    this quote is from T.N.O. of Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:06 :

    > Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
    > Office.

    .... and I thought a standard was a commonly agreed and published set of
    parameters, so everyone knows what they are working with. As in "New
    Zealand Standard" and "British Standard".

    Just 'cos something is in wide-spread use doesn't make it a standard.

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Re: Cost of Closed Software

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:48:28 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Just 'cos something is in wide-spread use doesn't make it a standard.

    It's called a de-facto standard,

    Wordperfect and wordstar formats used to be the defacto standards many
    years ago.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 22, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Cost of Closed Software Re: interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

    "Allistar" wrote
    > I don't think a file format can be a "standard" unless it is open.

    You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
    measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > "steve" wrote
    >> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
    >> > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

    >> If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible

    > with
    >> Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on
    >> the Linux-using customer.

    > Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
    > Office.

    There doesn't have to be "standard".

    There need only be open interoperability between "standards".

    Microsoft isn't a 'standard'.....it's an illegally maintained
    monopoly....according the US Courts and the European equivalent of the
    Commerce Commission.

    steve, Oct 22, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > "Allistar" wrote
    >> I don't think a file format can be a "standard" unless it is open.

    > You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
    > measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

    ....of some sort. That there is debate overwhether to acknowledge it as a
    genuine standard highlights the problem Microsoft's illegally maintained
    monopoly represents.

    steve, Oct 22, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Cost of Closed Software Re: interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

    "steve" wrote
    > > You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
    > > measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

    > ...of some sort. That there is debate overwhether to acknowledge it as a
    > genuine standard highlights the problem Microsoft's illegally maintained
    > monopoly represents.

    you really have a chip on your shoulder don't you... the market and govts of
    the world allowed MS to get to this point... If I were running MS, I'd have
    run it the same(well mostly).

    T.N.O., Oct 22, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    Allistar Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Allistar" wrote
    >> I don't think a file format can be a "standard" unless it is open.

    > You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
    > measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

    "Of some sort". What is that point of a standard that only one product can
    adhere to?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 23, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Cost of Closed Software Re: interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

    "Allistar" wrote
    > > You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
    > > measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

    > "Of some sort". What is that point of a standard that only one product can
    > adhere to?

    Like I said... a "measuring stick"
    It is currently the most popular, much like Word perfect before it, and Im
    sure there would have been something before that...

    T.N.O., Oct 23, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    Allistar Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Allistar" wrote
    >> > You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
    >> > measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

    >> "Of some sort". What is that point of a standard that only one product
    >> can adhere to?

    > Like I said... a "measuring stick"
    > It is currently the most popular, much like Word perfect before it, and Im
    > sure there would have been something before that...

    Yes, it is currently most popular. It is NOT a standard. It is an annoying
    format to be sent because of the proprietary nature of the format.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 23, 2003
  15. Re: Cost of Closed Software Re: interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

    In article <bn53an$t4bg9$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >"steve" wrote
    >> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
    >> > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

    >> If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible

    >with
    >> Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on the
    >> Linux-using customer.

    >Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
    >Office.

    The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
    from :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 23, 2003
  16. Re: Cost of Closed Software

    In article <>, "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:48:28 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Just 'cos something is in wide-spread use doesn't make it a standard.

    >It's called a de-facto standard,

    Nope ... it's called "popular".

    >Wordperfect and wordstar formats used to be the defacto standards many
    >years ago.

    Again, they were "popular" at the time.
    Fashions and standards change.

    Bruce