    disc for $5 - $10. Later, when the DVD actually comes out, you get the
    full version with extras, commentaries, etc.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Jordan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/9/2005 2:17:11 PM, Jordan wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050609/ts_latimes/warnergetsajumponfilmpiratesinchina
    >
    > I don't want to paste the whole article, but here's what Warner did...
    > They released the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants in theaters in the
    > U.S. and, on the very same day, released it on DVD in China.
    >
    > I think this is a pretty good move, although I don't know if this is
    > the flick to test the theory. I guess the next step is to release the
    > DVD on the same day as the theatrical release and sell it in movie
    > theaters.

    This will just ensure that people can download the DVD off of Usenet and
    BitTorrent and elsewhere instead of watching it in a theater. You can
    already do that now (for example, Star Wars III), but you're limited to
    crappy screener copies, so there is still a huge incentive to go watch it
    in a theater if it's something you care anything about.
    --
    "That movie has warped my fragile little mind."

    Now playing: the radio.
    Tarkus, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it if it were
    available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Jordan

    Biz Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it if it were
    > available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?
    >
    > - Jordan

    Because no matter how cheap they sell it for, they see the downloaded copy
    as "free", and free will always win with teh downloading loser group...
    Biz, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Jordan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/9/2005 4:17:06 PM, Jordan wrote:

    > But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it if it were
    > available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?

    Yes, they do it all the time now, even with crappy screener copies and
    VCD transfers. Imagine if they got a great DVD release instead.

    And that's $5-10 PER PERSON, not counting concessions that are apparently
    made from gold.
    --
    "I have not yet begun to defile myself."

    Now playing: the radio.
    Tarkus, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Jordan

    Billy Joe Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >> But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it
    >> if it
    >> were available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?
    >>
    >> - Jordan
    >>

    > Because no matter how cheap they sell it for, they see the
    > downloaded
    > copy as "free", and free will always win with teh downloading
    > loser
    > group...

    You don't often make sense, but you've hit the nail at least on
    the corner of the head here.

    Consider what "illegal" media downloading has done for PC sales,
    DVD writer sales, Blank DVD media sales, DVD production software
    sales, broadband ISP sales, contemporary multi-format DVD player
    sales, and the more or less obvious - TV display and home
    theater sales.

    And consider how many of these sales have been made by companies
    who are perhaps justifiably crying about piracy - while not
    missing a dime of the opportunity it represents. Sony may have
    lost out on some DVD sales, but they've sold way more VAIOs and
    DVD writers and TVs and projectors and flat panels than they
    would have otherwise - and you and I know that they know it!!!

    And in all honesty, where has there been a dip in DVD sales??
    It's the hottest market we have in a flagging US economy.

    Yet, JoeDOS and JaneMAC have spent all this cash to get "free"
    media when they could have:

    1) bought or rented the DVD
    2) subscribed to a cable or satellite service
    3) gone to the movies

    and spent nowhere near the same sums ;-0)

    I was no DVD enthusiast until I discovered video downloading; it
    is effortless, after all. But it isn't the way one really wants
    to see a movie - it's just a taste. So my DVD purchases have
    sky-rocketed to hundreds per year where they were nearly nil (I
    now have more yet to be watched than have been). I doubt that
    I'm representative of the marketplace, but the industry has
    gotten many more dollars from me on all sides of the cash
    register - hardware, software, and media than they would have
    were I left to their typical marketing.

    My feeling, in this personal experience, is that Hollywood
    despises downloading today because we can decide whether the
    flick is trash or something less without wasting time and money
    to do so. Although the latter (money) is certainly questionable
    as outlined beforehand.

    Tomorrow is a truly a different story, when even higher
    bandwidth, even more efficient compression (whether Hollywood
    employs it or not), and even more massive storage could really
    have an impact on what they sell.

    I see my bookcases of DVDs being replaced by a tiny server,
    hidden in a closet, and holding every video and audio and photo,
    and whatever other a/v or tactile stimulus the geeks can muster
    for sale, on a cube slightly larger than sugar!! And I see
    myself sampling, whenever possible, from others who have a copy
    and deciding whether to add another grain of sugar to my cube or
    noticing that it's unwanted salt;-0)

    So bye bye, Miss American Pie and bye bye, Ebert and whoever -
    deciding whether to buy a movie seat or DVD or CD or tomorrow's
    thingy has become a personal thang !!!

    But, to close, the "freebie" ain't the end product - just the
    end of some products.

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Jordan

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Billy Joe" <> wrote:
    >Biz wrote:
    >> "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >>> But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it
    >>> if it
    >>> were available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?
    >>>
    >>> - Jordan
    >>>

    >> Because no matter how cheap they sell it for, they see the
    >> downloaded
    >> copy as "free", and free will always win with teh downloading
    >> loser
    >> group...

    >You don't often make sense, but you've hit the nail at least on
    >the corner of the head here.
    >
    >Consider what "illegal" media downloading has done for PC sales,
    >DVD writer sales, Blank DVD media sales, DVD production software
    >sales, broadband ISP sales, contemporary multi-format DVD player
    >sales, and the more or less obvious - TV display and home
    >theater sales.\

    I did not buy "my" DVD burner, the bulk packs of DVD-R's, the upgraded system,
    the mastering software to pirate stuff , i bought it to make my 74 MiniDV
    tapes into dvd's. So i cant credit piracy for my hardware purchases.

    GMAN, Jun 10, 2005
  8. Jordan

    Billy Joe Guest

    GMAN wrote:
    <snip>

    > I did not buy "my" DVD burner, the bulk packs of DVD-R's, the
    > upgraded system,
    > the mastering software to pirate stuff , i bought it to make
    > my 74
    > MiniDV
    > tapes into dvd's. So i cant credit piracy for my hardware
    > purchases.

    <snip>

    Nor did I imply that you did. Simply that the RUSH to burn has
    been spurred by the perceived windfall of "free" stuff. You
    most likely would have done as you have regardless - tho there
    might not have been such a plummet in the prices of things you
    needed to do so, were it not for the others with different
    intent. And if that's true, then you can credit piracy for
    making it less expensive for you to pursue your own aims.

    Don't confuse this reality with a "justification" for piracy,
    but the market rarely looks a gift horse in the mouth, it just
    takes the gift and deals with the repercussions, if any, later
    !! One man's loss is another's gain, no??

    This a/v piracy is a most unusual situation - never before
    experienced on so large a scale. The technology that was used
    to "improve" product delivery and reduce the costs of doing so
    has, for the first time, also made it possible for massive
    numbers of humans to test their moral mettle - and, it appears,
    that the mettle is bent and brittle.

    I find it interesting, while also finding myself not quite
    sufficiently sanctimonious to judge either side - having been on
    both. Passions have always abounded in politics and religion,
    and now it seems - piracy (as if there's a difference ;-0).

    BJ
    Billy Joe, Jun 10, 2005
  9. Jordan

    Justin Guest

    Jordan wrote on [9 Jun 2005 16:17:06 -0700]:
    > But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it if it were
    > available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?

    They'd even do it if it was free at the local theater.
    Justin, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Jordan

    Justin Guest

    GMAN wrote on [Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:36:30 GMT]:
    > In article <>, "Billy Joe" <> wrote:
    >>Biz wrote:
    >>> "Jordan" <> wrote in message

    >>> Because no matter how cheap they sell it for, they see the
    >>> downloaded
    >>> copy as "free", and free will always win with teh downloading
    >>> loser
    >>> group...

    >>You don't often make sense, but you've hit the nail at least on
    >>the corner of the head here.
    >>
    >>Consider what "illegal" media downloading has done for PC sales,
    >>DVD writer sales, Blank DVD media sales, DVD production software
    >>sales, broadband ISP sales, contemporary multi-format DVD player
    >>sales, and the more or less obvious - TV display and home
    >>theater sales.\

    > I did not buy "my" DVD burner, the bulk packs of DVD-R's, the upgraded system,
    > the mastering software to pirate stuff , i bought it to make my 74 MiniDV
    > tapes into dvd's. So i cant credit piracy for my hardware purchases.

    I bought mine to backup my personal files. CDs are way too cumbersome to
    store many gigs worth of photos and documents.
    Justin, Jun 10, 2005
  11. Jordan

    Justin Guest

    Tarkus wrote on [Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:57:21 -0700]:
    > On 6/9/2005 4:17:06 PM, Jordan wrote:
    >
    >> But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it if it were
    >> available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?

    > Yes, they do it all the time now, even with crappy screener copies and
    > VCD transfers. Imagine if they got a great DVD release instead.
    >
    > And that's $5-10 PER PERSON, not counting concessions that are apparently
    > made from gold.

    Adding concessions into the price is not necessary, unless of course you
    are forced to buy them.
    Justin, Jun 10, 2005
  12. Jordan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/10/2005 10:24:06 AM, Justin wrote:

    > Jordan wrote on [9 Jun 2005 16:17:06 -0700]:
    >> But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it if it
    >> were available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?

    > They'd even do it if it was free at the local theater.

    You know, when I looked at the header of this message, I confused you
    with Jordan, based on the somewhat similar names.

    Then I saw that you said something that made sense, and I knew it
    couldn't be the same person.

    Sorry for the confusion.
    --
    "There were these two fellars standin' on a bridge, a-goin' to the
    bathroom. One fellar said, 'The water's cold' and the other fellar said,

    Now playing: the radio.
    Tarkus, Jun 10, 2005
  13. Jordan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/10/2005 10:28:50 AM, Justin wrote:

    > Tarkus wrote on [Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:57:21 -0700]:
    >> On 6/9/2005 4:17:06 PM, Jordan wrote:
    >>
    >>> But would people go to the trouble of downloading/burning it if it
    >>> were available for $5 to $10 at their local theater?

    >> Yes, they do it all the time now, even with crappy screener copies
    >> and VCD transfers. Imagine if they got a great DVD release instead.
    >>
    >> And that's $5-10 PER PERSON, not counting concessions that are
    >> apparently made from gold.

    > Adding concessions into the price is not necessary, unless of course
    > you are forced to buy them.

    True, but most people DO buy them. Especially those with kids.

    People generally eat and/or drink while watching a movie. And there can
    be no doubt that it's usually much cheaper to do those things at home.

    No one is forced to watch a movie AT ALL, if you want to be technical.
    But as long as we're going to compare the price of watching a movie at
    home vs. watching in a theater, I think it's not unreasonable to factor
    in other costs that generally go with the experience.
    --
    "He doesn't care if you're naughty or nice."

    Now playing: the radio.
    Tarkus, Jun 10, 2005
  14. Jordan

    Justin Guest

    Tarkus wrote on [Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:50:58 -0700]:
    > On 6/10/2005 10:28:50 AM, Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Tarkus wrote on [Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:57:21 -0700]:

    >>> Yes, they do it all the time now, even with crappy screener copies
    >>> and VCD transfers. Imagine if they got a great DVD release instead.
    >>>
    >>> And that's $5-10 PER PERSON, not counting concessions that are
    >>> apparently made from gold.

    >> Adding concessions into the price is not necessary, unless of course
    >> you are forced to buy them.

    > True, but most people DO buy them. Especially those with kids.

    Most people do? That's far from my experience. Most people IME bring
    items in pockets and purses.

    > No one is forced to watch a movie AT ALL, if you want to be technical.
    > But as long as we're going to compare the price of watching a movie at
    > home vs. watching in a theater, I think it's not unreasonable to factor
    > in other costs that generally go with the experience.

    Sure, so how about we ammortize the cost of the house & the entertainment
    system into the cost as well.
    Justin, Jun 12, 2005