    There's currently a thread on their forums asking Lavasoft to
    explain....this should be interesting -
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=58938
    Patrick Michael, Feb 14, 2005

  2. "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/60311
    >
    > Broadbandreports is reporting that Ad-Aware removed detection for WhenU
    > adware with the last update.

    The original thread I posted somehow got removed. Lavasoft claims it was an
    accident...I cerainly hope that is the case and they're not ignoring it.
    Ongoing discussions at
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=59008 and
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12665642~mode=flat~days=9999
    Patrick Michael, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Patrick Michael

    Guest

    I have personally removed spyware from my system that had a registery
    key with Ad-Aware in it. Go figure. It's definitely not suprising.
    , Feb 15, 2005
  4. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > I've had a horrible experience with the IST adware program over the last
    > week that took days to resolve. I was concurrently using Ad-aware, Spybot
    > S&D & the new Microsoft beta adware program (the "Giant" adware program).
    > Adware found and supposedly removed 60+ items. Then, Spybot found and
    > supposedly removed another 20+. Then Microsoft found dozen+.
    >
    > But no matter what I did, IST kept returning. Even after running the
    > Symantec removal tool specifically for this one single piece of adware, it
    > kept returning.
    >
    > What finally seems to have gotten rid of it was using MSCONFIG to turn off
    > virtually all startup stuff, then running all of these again. I speculate
    > that it was being reinstalled at each startup, by some module that either
    > wasn't recognized, or could not be removed until after it was disabled.

    Yup, IST can be a bitch to remove. I've found that a good strategy for
    stuff like this is to run the scans in safe mode so that nothing is running
    in the background to "re-spawn" the scumware.

    > It took me quite a few days, and quite a few hours, to resolve this.
    >
    > However, I am VERY pleased with the Microsoft beta anti-spyware program,
    > and according to Brian Livingston's Windows Newsletter, the "Giant"
    > software package was by far the most effective single anti-spyware
    > product, and was one-half of the most effective 2-program combination.
    > Unfortunately, however, "the most effective 2-program combination" still
    > only got less than 70% of identified adware & spyware infections.

    And more good news is that Microsoft announced that Anti-spyware will be
    free to all Windows users!
    http://news.com.com/Windows anti-spyware to come free of charge/2100-7355_3-5577202.html

    I'm usually very critical of MS, but this is a great move that should be
    applauded.
    Patrick Michael, Feb 15, 2005
  5. "smackedass" <> wrote in message

    >>And more good news is that Microsoft announced that Anti-spyware will be
    >>free to all Windows users!
    >>http://news.com.com/Windows anti-spyware to come free of charge/2100-7355_3

    > -5577202.html
    >
    > Call me a cynic, but I bet they're giving it away because 1) some of the
    > anti-spyware programs are free, 2) many of them are 30-day evaluation
    > copies, and 3) there are so many of them.
    >
    > They should give it away, anyway, the reason that there is so much spyware
    > is, arguably, due to the fact that the OSs are deficient. Every other
    > day,
    > they're coming out with a patch for one flaw or another. It'll be
    > interesting to see if MS keeps up its defs, without colluding with their
    > alliances that might be spyware writers.

    True, but the program this is based on (Giant Anti-Spyware) was *not*
    free...it just had a 15-day trial (might have been longer).
    Patrick Michael, Feb 16, 2005
  6. "smackedass" <> wrote in message

    >>True, but the program this is based on (Giant Anti-Spyware) was *not*
    >>free...it just had a 15-day trial (might have been longer).

    > Microsoft understands that if the trial were 15 or 30 days, a person could
    > get a hold of the program, clean their computer for free, never use it
    > again, then use one or more of the freebies for ongoing maintenance.
    >
    > That's what I do, for myself, and my clients.

    They could also make it like other spyware programs that only scan your
    system in trial mode, but do nothing to remove the spyware until you
    purchase the "full" version.
    Patrick Michael, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Patrick Michael

    Guest

    That seems awful nice of Microsoft. It is good pr on their part. They
    know they are selling you software that cost top dollar and is full of
    bugs and holes. That is like me selling you a car that is brand new,
    knowing that it was flawed in the design phase, and giving you a
    toolkit and hospital visits for free...............So, I sit here and
    wonder.......When are people gonna' get the idea about open source
    code?..........I paid 125 dollars for a copy of a program (xp) that is
    resource intensive and needs other programs to keep it running properly
    (more resources). I have to install more ram to get it up to full
    potential. So, my 125$ operating system is up to almost two hundred
    bucks now!....I get on the internet download a Linux Distro. , and have
    all I had and more....for free. I do not even need extra ram. The 256 I
    have is more than enough. Open source for me. I only do Microsoft to
    get a job. I guess in a way thier spoty, high dollar products will mean
    job security for A+ techs. So, maybe that is a good thing.
    , Feb 16, 2005
  8. Patrick Michael

    «BONEHEAD>> Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > That seems awful nice of Microsoft. It is good pr on their part. They
    > know they are selling you software that cost top dollar and is full of
    > bugs and holes. That is like me selling you a car that is brand new,
    > knowing that it was flawed in the design phase, and giving you a
    > toolkit and hospital visits for free...............So, I sit here and
    > wonder.......When are people gonna' get the idea about open source
    > code?..........I paid 125 dollars for a copy of a program (xp) that is
    > resource intensive and needs other programs to keep it running properly
    > (more resources). I have to install more ram to get it up to full
    > potential. So, my 125$ operating system is up to almost two hundred
    > bucks now!....I get on the internet download a Linux Distro. , and have
    > all I had and more....for free. I do not even need extra ram. The 256 I
    > have is more than enough. Open source for me. I only do Microsoft to
    > get a job. I guess in a way thier spoty, high dollar products will mean
    > job security for A+ techs. So, maybe that is a good thing.

    Doesn't anyone think that Monkeysoft isn't adding a boatload of code to this
    proggie (Giant) in order to scan your reg for pirated OS and other info....
    I trust nothing from Monkeysoft... As far as I'm concerned installing
    MonkeySoft products on your computer for protection is like letting
    the fox bunk with the chickens...

    No way is this a good thing, Bill Gates has never done a thing that
    wouldn't some how benefit him in the end....

    Wise UP....

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «BONEHEAD>>, Feb 17, 2005
  9. Patrick Michael

    AG Guest

    "«BONEHEAD>>" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > That seems awful nice of Microsoft. It is good pr on their part. They
    > > know they are selling you software that cost top dollar and is full of
    > > bugs and holes. That is like me selling you a car that is brand new,
    > > knowing that it was flawed in the design phase, and giving you a
    > > toolkit and hospital visits for free...............So, I sit here and
    > > wonder.......When are people gonna' get the idea about open source
    > > code?..........I paid 125 dollars for a copy of a program (xp) that is
    > > resource intensive and needs other programs to keep it running properly
    > > (more resources). I have to install more ram to get it up to full
    > > potential. So, my 125$ operating system is up to almost two hundred
    > > bucks now!....I get on the internet download a Linux Distro. , and have
    > > all I had and more....for free. I do not even need extra ram. The 256 I
    > > have is more than enough. Open source for me. I only do Microsoft to
    > > get a job. I guess in a way thier spoty, high dollar products will mean
    > > job security for A+ techs. So, maybe that is a good thing.
    > >

    > Doesn't anyone think that Monkeysoft isn't adding a boatload of code to

    this
    > proggie (Giant) in order to scan your reg for pirated OS and other

    info....
    > I trust nothing from Monkeysoft... As far as I'm concerned installing
    > MonkeySoft products on your computer for protection is like letting
    > the fox bunk with the chickens...
    >
    > No way is this a good thing, Bill Gates has never done a thing that
    > wouldn't some how benefit him in the end....
    >
    > Wise UP....

    If you're not using a pirated copy of Windows there isn't a problem, is
    there?
    MS has a right to charge what they want for the use of their software. It's
    what they do to feed the kiddies that they have.
    Yeah they make a profit but we'd all like to do that.

    AG
    AG, Feb 17, 2005
  10. Patrick Michael

    MF Guest

    > I've had a horrible experience with the IST adware program over the last
    > week that took days to resolve. I was concurrently using Ad-aware,
    > Spybot S&D & the new Microsoft beta adware program (the "Giant" adware
    > program). Adware found and supposedly removed 60+ items. Then, Spybot
    > found and supposedly removed another 20+. Then Microsoft found dozen+.
    >
    > But no matter what I did, IST kept returning. Even after running the
    > Symantec removal tool specifically for this one single piece of adware,
    > it kept returning.
    >
    > What finally seems to have gotten rid of it was using MSCONFIG to turn
    > off virtually all startup stuff, then running all of these again. I
    > speculate that it was being reinstalled at each startup, by some module
    > that either wasn't recognized, or could not be removed until after it
    > was disabled.
    >
    > It took me quite a few days, and quite a few hours, to resolve this.
    >
    > However, I am VERY pleased with the Microsoft beta anti-spyware program,
    > and according to Brian Livingston's Windows Newsletter, the "Giant"
    > software package was by far the most effective single anti-spyware
    > product, and was one-half of the most effective 2-program combination.
    > Unfortunately, however, "the most effective 2-program combination" still
    > only got less than 70% of identified adware & spyware infections.

    I'll have to give the Msft piece a try. But as I posted before (forgetting
    to mention booting to safe mode, which is frequently essential) you often
    have to remove these pieces of scum manually. I have it down to 5-6 hours,
    including the research to identify all the files infecting your machine.
    I've had to do it four times. Once (two removals) was from an inattentive
    cruise through a bunch of shady sites. But once it was by following a
    google link to a site that listed itself as a song lyric site. Most of
    these are old school internet, i.e., put up by enthusiasts for the general
    edification of the public. Some - or at least one - however, are put up by
    scum trying to hijack other peoples' computers.

    My feeling about these people? The bush admin would do the world a favor
    (for once) if they identified these adware/spyware guys as terrorists, took
    'em to gitmo, and tortured them to death.

    Here's the contact info for the host of one of them (and the people that are
    hosting these guys are the same as these guys):

    Server4You, Inc.
    which owns IP range 69.64.32.0 - 69.64.63.255
    710 North Tucker Blvd
    Suite 610, St. Louis, MO, 63101
    phone number: +1-866-342-5749
    and website at www.server4you.net,
    abuse contact : Sascha Wintz at .

    hope that's easy to scan for the spam crawlers.
    MF, Feb 18, 2005
  11. Patrick Michael

    «BONEHEAD>> Guest

    "AG" <> wrote in message

    > "«BONEHEAD>>" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > That seems awful nice of Microsoft. It is good pr on their part. They
    > > > know they are selling you software that cost top dollar and is full of
    > > > bugs and holes. That is like me selling you a car that is brand new,
    > > > knowing that it was flawed in the design phase, and giving you a
    > > > toolkit and hospital visits for free...............So, I sit here and
    > > > wonder.......When are people gonna' get the idea about open source
    > > > code?..........I paid 125 dollars for a copy of a program (xp) that is
    > > > resource intensive and needs other programs to keep it running

    properly
    > > > (more resources). I have to install more ram to get it up to full
    > > > potential. So, my 125$ operating system is up to almost two hundred
    > > > bucks now!....I get on the internet download a Linux Distro. , and

    have
    > > > all I had and more....for free. I do not even need extra ram. The 256

    > > > have is more than enough. Open source for me. I only do Microsoft to
    > > > get a job. I guess in a way thier spoty, high dollar products will

    mean
    > > > job security for A+ techs. So, maybe that is a good thing.
    > > >

    > > Doesn't anyone think that Monkeysoft isn't adding a boatload of code to

    > this
    > > proggie (Giant) in order to scan your reg for pirated OS and other

    > info....
    > > I trust nothing from Monkeysoft... As far as I'm concerned installing
    > > MonkeySoft products on your computer for protection is like letting
    > > the fox bunk with the chickens...
    > >
    > > No way is this a good thing, Bill Gates has never done a thing that
    > > wouldn't some how benefit him in the end....
    > >
    > > Wise UP....
    > >

    > If you're not using a pirated copy of Windows there isn't a problem, is
    > there?
    > MS has a right to charge what they want for the use of their software.

    It's
    > what they do to feed the kiddies that they have.
    > Yeah they make a profit but we'd all like to do that.

    Ok mines paid for so that's not really the prob...
    I still think Monkeysoft will have an inherent interest in the info on your
    system...
    I haven't used SP2 and have had no ill effects... and I am religious about
    my security... I use proven 3rd party software because I don't trust
    Microsoft
    to have my best interests in mind...

    Personally if I didn't have to support Windows products as a tech, I
    wouldn't
    use them on my machines...
    At this point in time my other box runs Suse Linux 9.2 (free) with Firefox
    (free)
    and Thunderbird mail (also free)... and lately have been pointing my home
    user
    clients in that direction...
    I have 3 clients that use Suse exclusively... yeah it takes me a little
    extra
    time to show them where stuff is at, but once they know they seem to like it
    better...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «BONEHEAD>>, Feb 18, 2005
  12. Patrick Michael

    AG Guest

    "«BONEHEAD>>" <> wrote in message

    > "AG" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "«BONEHEAD>>" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > <> wrote in message

    They

    of

    and

    is

    > properly

    > have

    > mean
    > > > >

    > > > Doesn't anyone think that Monkeysoft isn't adding a boatload of code

    > > this
    > > > proggie (Giant) in order to scan your reg for pirated OS and other

    > > info....
    > > > I trust nothing from Monkeysoft... As far as I'm concerned installing
    > > > MonkeySoft products on your computer for protection is like letting
    > > > the fox bunk with the chickens...
    > > >
    > > > No way is this a good thing, Bill Gates has never done a thing that
    > > > wouldn't some how benefit him in the end....
    > > >
    > > > Wise UP....
    > > >

    > > If you're not using a pirated copy of Windows there isn't a problem, is
    > > there?
    > > MS has a right to charge what they want for the use of their software.

    > It's
    > > what they do to feed the kiddies that they have.
    > > Yeah they make a profit but we'd all like to do that.
    > >

    > Ok mines paid for so that's not really the prob...
    > I still think Monkeysoft will have an inherent interest in the info on

    your
    > system...
    > I haven't used SP2 and have had no ill effects... and I am religious about
    > my security... I use proven 3rd party software because I don't trust
    > Microsoft
    > to have my best interests in mind...
    >
    > Personally if I didn't have to support Windows products as a tech, I
    > wouldn't
    > use them on my machines...
    > At this point in time my other box runs Suse Linux 9.2 (free) with Firefox
    > (free)
    > and Thunderbird mail (also free)... and lately have been pointing my home
    > user
    > clients in that direction...
    > I have 3 clients that use Suse exclusively... yeah it takes me a little
    > extra
    > time to show them where stuff is at, but once they know they seem to like

    it
    > better...
    >
    > --
    > <B0N3H3@D>
    > "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert

    Einstein
    I agree about Linux. I still haven't upgraded from '98 yet because about
    the only thing I do on this box is game and internet. I have a computer
    running RH9 and one running Fedora 2 that needs some RAM, long boring story.
    I like the concept of Linux but there are problems installing software for
    those who don't WANT to get their hands dirty. I've got a couple of
    groupware programs that I've spent about two months trying to install and
    still don't have them working properly, lots of dependency problems and
    editing file permissions and group permissions by hand. Shouldn't need to
    be done and wouldn't be put up with in the Windows world.
    I still think there are some things that need to be improved for Linux
    before I'm going to recommend it to Grandma.

    AG
    AG, Feb 18, 2005
  13. Patrick Michael

    Bum Guest

    First of all MSquish ad blocking tool is worthless -- it flags it's own
    DLL's as suspect. Result, people who do not know what they are doing
    delete these files and their systems fall down adn go boom boom. This is a
    good thing for me and my shop for we repair their mistakes, but this should
    never be the case.

    We also build and sell systems. Most of the systems we sell are to college
    students. Guess what, as long as they are not engineering students needing
    specialized software, most opt for Linux. Why? Identical systems shown
    side by side the linux system outperforms the MSquish systems for 90% of
    the tests.

    The comment regarding bloating the software for other purposes, yes that is
    the Credo at MSquish. However, because of the fiasco with Intel and
    MSquish about user systems calling home (i.e., MS or Intel) it is not
    likely to happen without some major sqawking underground before it is made
    public. In which case it will be shelved.

    The upshot will be this. As the current college kids mature into good
    corporate citizens, MS will slowly be pushed to rethink any type of policy
    such as calling home. I watched this happened with VAX, Unix, OS/2, MAC,
    and Apple II as well as any number of systems over the last 20 years.

    So what will happen? Nobody knows for certain, but I venture to guess that
    MS will not be giving this software away for long without some major
    revisions. Any chance bloat the software MS will do. However, it is
    unlikely then will use it to call home with a listing of software any time
    in the near future.

    Bum
    Bum, Feb 18, 2005
  14. Patrick Michael

    Guest

    I guess it is like driving a car. Some people are only interested in
    how to put the key in, put it in drive, and go. There will always be
    those type of people. Some, wanna know how to change their own oil, do
    routine thins to it. Some, will wanna know how to pull the motor,
    rebuild it, getting more horsepower, hooking up NO2, and the works.
    , Feb 19, 2005
  15. Patrick Michael

    «BONEHEAD>> Guest

    "AG" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > Einstein
    > I agree about Linux. I still haven't upgraded from '98 yet because about
    > the only thing I do on this box is game and internet. I have a computer
    > running RH9 and one running Fedora 2 that needs some RAM, long boring

    story.
    > I like the concept of Linux but there are problems installing software for
    > those who don't WANT to get their hands dirty. I've got a couple of
    > groupware programs that I've spent about two months trying to install and
    > still don't have them working properly, lots of dependency problems and
    > editing file permissions and group permissions by hand. Shouldn't need to
    > be done and wouldn't be put up with in the Windows world.
    > I still think there are some things that need to be improved for Linux
    > before I'm going to recommend it to Grandma.

    The dependency problems seem to be rectified using yum (aptget type prog)
    at least in Fedora core 3... YAST in SuSe is very good at finding
    dependencies and
    locating them for you...
    I will admit it is a learning curve, but setting up a box for some one who
    just browses, plays flash games, email, and the like, it has saved me the
    headaches of constantly fixing their mistakes... (I AM ADMIN :) )

    I know it will never happen, but I wish more people would get a clue,
    but it's like giving a teenager keys to the car, they don't care how it
    runs,
    as long as it goes...

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>
    «BONEHEAD>>, Feb 20, 2005
  16. Patrick Michael

    Jim Nugent Guest

    "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/60311
    >
    > Broadbandreports is reporting that Ad-Aware removed detection for WhenU
    > adware with the last update. This is definitely a scary development, as
    > many scumware companies have recently been buying themselves out of being
    > detected by well-regarded anti-spyware programs. Ad-Aware has always been

    > valuable tool to me for spyware removal, along with Spybot S&D,

    HijackThis!
    > and AntiSpyware...but if it turns out that lavasoft was "bought out", I

    will
    > have second thoughts about that statement.
    >
    > There's currently a thread on their forums asking Lavasoft to
    > explain....this should be interesting -

    I believe Lavasoft has had legal problems over certain products in the past;
    this MAY be a another case of that.

    That's one good thing about the idea of Microsoft Anti-Spyware. For
    companies the size of these spyware outfits, Microsoft is going to be on
    their lawyers' "Don't-****-With" lists.
    --
    Jim
    "Be right back... Godot"
    Jim Nugent, Feb 21, 2005
  17. Patrick Michael

    Bum Guest

    "Jim Nugent" <> wrote in

    > "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/60311
    >>
    >> Broadbandreports is reporting that Ad-Aware removed detection for
    >> WhenU adware with the last update. This is definitely a scary
    >> development, as many scumware companies have recently been buying
    >> themselves out of being detected by well-regarded anti-spyware
    >> programs. Ad-Aware has always been

    2005-02-15

    Lavasoft does not cooperate with WhenU!
    As a result of recent rumours and speculation by members of the privacy
    community and the public at large, Lavasoft wants to make clear that it
    has not and would not collaborate with any companies that have produced
    content detected by Ad-Aware. Ad-Aware products are designed purely for
    scanning and removing of suspicious content (at the user’s discretion)
    and Lavasoft would not ally with adversaries under any circumstances.

    WhenU was indeed removed from the database by research in the last
    definition file. This however was due to WhenU not scoring more than 2
    TAC points at the time, 3 points being the minimum score to be included
    in the database. More information on the Threat Assessment Chart can be
    found at http://www.lavasoftnews.com/ms/tac_main.htm
    The TAC report will be reviewed in more detail by our R&D department and
    in case it turns out that the removal was incorrect, WhenU will naturally
    be reintroduced to the database.

    For further information, please contact

    BUM
    Bum, Feb 21, 2005
  18. Patrick Michael

    Jim Nugent Guest

    "Bum" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim Nugent" <> wrote in
    >
    > > "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message
    > >> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/60311
    > >>
    > >> Broadbandreports is reporting that Ad-Aware removed detection for
    > >> WhenU adware with the last update. This is definitely a scary
    > >> development, as many scumware companies have recently been buying
    > >> themselves out of being detected by well-regarded anti-spyware
    > >> programs. Ad-Aware has always been

    > 2005-02-15
    >

    > Lavasoft does not cooperate with WhenU!
    > As a result of recent rumours and speculation by members of the privacy
    > community and the public at large, Lavasoft wants to make clear that it
    > has not and would not collaborate with any companies that have produced
    > content detected by Ad-Aware. Ad-Aware products are designed purely for
    > scanning and removing of suspicious content (at the user’s discretion)
    > and Lavasoft would not ally with adversaries under any circumstances.
    >
    > WhenU was indeed removed from the database by research in the last
    > definition file. This however was due to WhenU not scoring more than 2
    > TAC points at the time, 3 points being the minimum score to be included
    > in the database. More information on the Threat Assessment Chart can be
    > found at http://www.lavasoftnews.com/ms/tac_main.htm
    > The TAC report will be reviewed in more detail by our R&D department and
    > in case it turns out that the removal was incorrect, WhenU will naturally
    > be reintroduced to the database.

    Link not too helpful, no chart-- only search form. WhenU or WhenU.com not
    found. Searching the Site with Google yields a few hits, but they're just
    definition files that include WhenU.

    The link DOES give the formula, but you can't get the score for an entry.
    --
    Jim
    "Be right back... Godot"
    Jim Nugent, Feb 21, 2005
  19. Patrick Michael

    AG Guest

    "«BONEHEAD>>" <> wrote in message

    > The dependency problems seem to be rectified using yum (aptget type prog)
    > at least in Fedora core 3... YAST in SuSe is very good at finding
    > dependencies and
    > locating them for you...
    > I will admit it is a learning curve, but setting up a box for some one who
    > just browses, plays flash games, email, and the like, it has saved me the
    > headaches of constantly fixing their mistakes... (I AM ADMIN :) )
    >
    > I know it will never happen, but I wish more people would get a clue,
    > but it's like giving a teenager keys to the car, they don't care how it
    > runs,
    > as long as it goes...
    >

    > --

    I have two of those. One's 27 and the other's 22. These were web based
    groupware programs that aren't ready for prime time IMHO. Unfortunately I
    lost that job, got laid off.

    AG
    AG, Feb 21, 2005