    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:45:29 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > From here.
    > http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20020718S0002
    >
    > A story about ADSL2(the sequel)
    > "In the first-generation ADSL systems on long lines where the data rate
    > is low (.e.g < 128 kbps), a fixed 32 kbps (or 25% of the total data
    > rate) is allocated to overhead information. In ADSL2 systems the
    > overhead data rate can be reduced to 4 kbps, which provides an
    > additional 28 kbps for payload data."
    >
    > 25% overhead... crap, that sucks, no wonder Jetstart jet-sucks.

    i think that article is refering to situations where the line is so bad
    that the maximum speed is about 128kbps, not when the speed has been
    limited to 128k, for example my modem connects at between 5 and 6mbps, it
    is telecom who limit this.
    -[Myth]-, Jan 14, 2004

  3. -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>25% overhead... crap, that sucks, no wonder Jetstart jet-sucks.

    > i think that article is refering to situations where the line is so bad
    > that the maximum speed is about 128kbps, not when the speed has been
    > limited to 128k, for example my modem connects at between 5 and 6mbps, it
    > is telecom who limit this.

    yeah, I wondered that just after I posted it, oh well, jetstart still
    jetsucks.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz