    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    > Intel released a 64-bit processor for mainstream PCs on Monday, putting
    > the company a month ahead of rival AMD, which is expected to come out with
    > a chip of the same capacity in July.
    >
    > Intel's new Celeron D 351 is the heir-apparent to the current Celeron D
    > S775 processor series. The two chips are nearly identical, apart from the
    > addition of 64-bit processing technology, which Intel calls EM64T.
    >
    > Read the rest here:
    > http://news.com.com/Intels Celeron takes the 64-bit route/2100-1042_3-5764778.html?tag=nefd.top
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Okay, let's see....

    No on-die Memory controller....
    No Hypertransport bus....
    only 256Mb *INCLUSIVE* cache.

    Think 'I'll put my money on the Sempron64....

    Don't get me wrong...but until Intel gets it's act together and starts
    making 64 bit chips that can compete with AMD instead of making a 64 bit
    retread on an old architecture....I'll continue to buy AMD.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 28, 2005

  3. ***WARNING AMD FANBOY POST ***

    NoNoBadDog! got up from the bar and shouted: :

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Rick Guest

    I think you're a bit behind the curve! AMD is already selling Sempron
    CPUs that are fully 64-bit enabled! They have been reported for about a
    week now.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24174
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips00797/

    Intel is behind the power curve!!!

    Rick, Jun 28, 2005

    ****WARNING INHELL, er .. INTEL FANBOY REPLY****

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Dee Guest

    Not sure what you think you're bragging about, but AMD released their
    64-bit Semprons while Intel was asleep!

    You need to wake up and smell the coffee!

    Dee, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  8. Wayne Wastier got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > "Mark Gillespie" <> wrote in message
    >> ***WARNING AMD FANBOY POST ***
    >>

    > ****WARNING INHELL, er .. INTEL FANBOY REPLY****

    Erm, no actually I have a AMD64 based system, pissed on your fireworks...

    Lets not pretend however that Intels CPU's are as crippled as much as
    was suggested by the total AMD fanboy post...

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    ********WARNING*********

    Brain-dead Idiot Response!

    Did you even read the post? See If you can get someone to help you with the
    big words...

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Sorry, Andre, but the x64 Sempron has been available to _buy_ for several
    days now, and was announced over two weeks ago.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  11. "Mark Gillespie" <> wrote in message
    > Wayne Wastier got up from the bar and shouted: :
    >> "Mark Gillespie" <> wrote in message

    You haven't a clue.

    PLONK

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 28, 2005
  12. Its just a processor guys, lets not break out into a rash. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  13. Cool it, please, Bobby. Let's not get into that kind of argument here. We all
    have our favourites, but no need to feed the trolls.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  14. Cool it, please, Mark. Both companies make good processors, but this is not
    the place to make personal statements. Or to feed the trolls. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  15. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in:

    > Cool it, please, Bobby. Let's not get into that kind of argument here.
    > We all have our favourites, but no need to feed the trolls.

    Particularly when we all know the Motorola 6800P is superior to any other
    chip.

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Ah, I was waiting for that one.

    Many years back I used to partake in a CAD users group. Seemed like once a
    week someone would open the door and toss in a grenade. Something like "ProE
    or Catia...Which One?" It would invariably boil down to an argument between
    Etch-A-Sketch and Magna-Doodle. What a blast.

    Can't resist throwing in one historical tidbit though. Intel released its
    first 64bit processor (the first commercially available chip with over 1
    million transistors) on Feb 27, 1989.

    Intel_Fan, Jun 28, 2005
  17. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Matt Beals Guest

    Well if we're talking about "first to market" Apple was there first with a
    mainstream 64bit processor. Mind you the market was small, but they got
    there before AMD or Intel. Never mind that Apple switched to Intlel....

    Matt

    Matt Beals, Jun 28, 2005
  18. "Intel_Fan" <> wrote in:

    > Many years back I used to partake in a CAD users group. Seemed like once
    > a week someone would open the door and toss in a grenade. Something like
    > "ProE or Catia...Which One?" It would invariably boil down to an
    > argument between Etch-A-Sketch and Magna-Doodle. What a blast.

    Of course you've seen the Dilbert strip whee Dilbert and Wally tell the
    pointy haired boss to reboot his computer he has to hold it upside down and
    shake it? Later they wonder what will happen if the boss ever realizes his
    "laptop" is an Etch-A-Sketch...

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <>

    David R. Norton MVP, Jun 28, 2005
  19. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Randy Guest

    I'm kinda intrigued by the enormous L2 cache memory... are you sure it's
    256M?
    ;~)

    But I agree with your analysis; it seems an odd processor, putting the
    ability to access such large amounts of memory onto a basically crippled
    CPU.

    I'll stick with my dual Xeon system.

    Randy, Jun 28, 2005
  20. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Randy Guest

    I think it's reason to CELEBRATE, not fight! Sheesh... if they only knew
    what it used to be like, working with XT systems, upgrading system RAM one
    bug chip at a time, running 300baud connections to the local library server,
    system beeps for a sound system, cga graphics, 20MB hard drive replacing
    original 5MB drives that had crashed, 5.25" floppies... hell, I remember a
    friend in law school casually buying a replacement 1G hard drive when his
    old one died, and it cost him a grand just over ten years ago. The 486
    system I bought myself that year cost me almost 2 grand!

    In high school it was even worse; we had a table-sized "tele-terminal"
    dialed in (via a Konnex Konnector) to the nearby university server... typed
    input got answered via a huge line printer printing characters one at a
    time. But it served its purpose, teaching us BASIC and performing searches
    for college programs in which our classmates were interested.

    Competition and advancing technologies both drop prices and make for a more
    pleasant computing experience for all.

    Randy, Jun 28, 2005