    detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
    I am looking for reasonably priced software.

    - David

    David D., May 5, 2004

  2. "David D." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    SNIP
    > I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
    > with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
    > detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist --

    so
    > I am looking for reasonably priced software.

    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, May 6, 2004

  3. David D.

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital David D. <> wrote:
    > The photo retouch and image format programs, that I have tried, do a poor
    > job of enlarging an image. (The Kodak kiosks for printing your own photos,
    > surprisingly, are among the worst, even though one would expect that
    > enlarging snapshots would be their focus).

    > I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
    > with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
    > detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
    > I am looking for reasonably priced software.

    What's reasonably priced for one person might be unreasonable for
    another. You should check out the pxl SmartScale software that
    Extensis makes. You can get info on it at http://www.extensis.com

    This is a Photoshop or Elements plug-in and it does just what you want.
    This software usually goes for around $120 which seems reasonable to me.
    I own a copy and it works great. You can enlarge any digital image up to
    1600% but note that it will not improve the quality of a digital image. If
    you start with a poor quality small image, you will get a poor quality
    large image with pxl SmartScale.

    , May 6, 2004
  4. "David D." <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
    > with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
    > detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist --

    so
    > I am looking for reasonably priced software.

    Looks like you want this:

    http://www.lizardtech.com/solutions/gf/

    It seems to be the only really interesting product to have come out of all
    that fractal compression research in the 80s and 90s.

    Matt Timmermans, May 6, 2004
  5. David D.

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images

    >From: "Matt Timmermans" -remove.ca
    >
    >Looks like you want this:
    >http://www.lizardtech.com/solutions/gf/
    >
    >It seems to be the only really interesting product to have come out of all
    >that fractal compression research in the 80s and 90s.

    I have a copy of this (bundled with a scanner purchase) and I get results just
    as good (often better) by doing Stair Interpolation with Photoshop. This is
    enlarging scanned tiffs, not jpegs, so maybe it's wonderful for jpegs, dunno.

    But for $160 (or whatever the retail price is now) I thought Genuine Fractals
    was the most over-priced, over-rated software I've ever used ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 6, 2004
  6. David D.

    E. Mark Ping Guest

    In article <>,
    David D. <> wrote:
    >I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
    >with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
    >detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
    >I am looking for reasonably priced software.

    I am very impressed by the job OpenOffice.org does at this. You can
    find the (free) download at OpenOffice.org. Just insert a graphic
    into a page and resize it.

    The code is GPL which might be more or less expensive than you need.
    ;)
    --
    Mark Ping

    E. Mark Ping, May 6, 2004
  7. wrote:

    >What's reasonably priced for one person might be unreasonable for
    >another. You should check out the pxl SmartScale software that
    >Extensis makes. You can get info on it at http://www.extensis.com
    >
    >This is a Photoshop or Elements plug-in and it does just what you want.
    >This software usually goes for around $120 which seems reasonable to me.
    >I own a copy and it works great. You can enlarge any digital image up to
    >1600% but note that it will not improve the quality of a digital image. If
    >you start with a poor quality small image, you will get a poor quality
    >large image with pxl SmartScale.

    I was about to write something similar, but now I can resort to
    underlining this message.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, May 6, 2004
  8. dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

    >But for $160 (or whatever the retail price is now) I thought Genuine Fractals
    >was the most over-priced, over-rated software I've ever used ...

    Bill,

    there is a light version for $50 with some limitations, but
    perhaps good enough for private use.

    I would check first, however, how well that program stacks up
    against pxl SmartScale by Extensis.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, May 6, 2004
  9. David D. wrote:

    > The photo retouch and image format programs, that I have tried, do a poor
    > job of enlarging an image. (The Kodak kiosks for printing your own photos,
    > surprisingly, are among the worst, even though one would expect that
    > enlarging snapshots would be their focus).
    >
    > I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
    > with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
    > detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
    > I am looking for reasonably priced software.

    Canon UK use Genuine Fractals Print Pro 3 for doing this on all the
    digital camera shots they shoot at exhibitions and then print up to huge
    size on their large format printers. It is not fast but it works
    extremely well.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, May 6, 2004
  10. David D.

    Tom Monego Guest

    >I have a copy of this (bundled with a scanner purchase) and I get results

    just
    >as good (often better) by doing Stair Interpolation with Photoshop. This is
    >enlarging scanned tiffs, not jpegs, so maybe it's wonderful for jpegs, dunno.

    >But for $160 (or whatever the retail price is now) I thought Genuine Fractals
    >was the most over-priced, over-rated software I've ever used ...
    >
    >Bill

    I agree about Genuine Fractals, Fred Miranda makes a Photoshop Action
    (Elements too) for about $19 that does the stair interpolation without you
    having to repeat the command numerous times. (www.fredmiranda.com) Irfanview
    (free) www.irfanview.com has a modified bicubic iterpolation routine that is
    better than Photoshop for big enlargements, also gets you a free image viewing
    (minor editing) program. Qimage has already been mentioned.
    Just remember benefits start showing up after 2x enlagements, below that just
    use your regular program.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, May 6, 2004
  11. David D.

    Tom Monego Guest

    >Canon UK use Genuine Fractals Print Pro 3 for doing this on all the
    >digital camera shots they shoot at exhibitions and then print up to huge
    >size on their large format printers. It is not fast but it works
    >extremely well.
    >
    >David

    GF Print Pro is a $250-300US program. see my earlier post for altenatives.
    Most are faster and just as good.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, May 6, 2004
  12. David D.

    David D. Guest

    Thanks, everyone.

    There are more options than I anticipated. I will look into a few of
    them.

    - David

    David D., May 6, 2004
  13. David D.

    Marco Al Guest

    David D. wrote:

    > I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
    > with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
    > detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
    > I am looking for reasonably priced software.

    There is a website devoted to this topic :
    http://www.general-cathexis.com/interpolation.html

    Some of the cheaper software can be found in the independent developer
    forum.

    Marco

    Marco Al, May 7, 2004