Intellectual Property Theft and the UK

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam, Nov 24, 2009.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Adam, Nov 24, 2009

  2. Don’t call it “intellectual property†and don’t call it “theftâ€.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 24, 2009

  3. Adam

    impossible Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message

    > Some recent rumblings from the UK, about their
    > ACTA implementation.
    >
    > http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/20/britains-new-interne.html

    More drama-queen stuff from the teen pirate set. Can you imagine!?!
    Government policies to protect private property!?! If you're downloading
    music, videos, and software off the internet without the permission of the
    copyright holders, then it's probably a good time to stop. Intellectual
    property theft is not kid stuff anymore.

    impossible, Nov 24, 2009
  4. Adam

    impossible Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Adam wrote:
    >> Some recent rumblings from the UK, about their
    >> ACTA implementation.
    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/20/britains-new-interne.html

    > It is not about intellectual property and it is not about theft.

    Of course it is. You just don't want to discuss those issues because theft
    of intellectual property is simply indefensible.

    > It is
    > about protecting obsolete business models of 20th century media companies,
    > at the cost of today's (and tomorrows) artists and consumers.

    That's an empty marketing slogan.

    > Of course people shouldn't infringe copyright, but there is already plenty
    > of law to cover this (too much, in fact). This infringement can be
    > addressed under existing laws, and the fact that we don't see legal action
    > just shows it isn't as big an issue as the media companies claim.

    How are you going to stop internet piracy under laws that pre-date the
    growth of the internet?

    > The real intent of these laws is to prevent innovation, new technologies
    > and
    > modern business models.

    Nonsense! Without laws ensuring the integrity of copyright, patents,
    contracts, and other property rights institutions, innovation would come to
    a halt.

    > These new developments are great for artists and
    > consumers, but not for obsolete industries (like blacksmiths, video tape
    > manufacturers and music cd distributors).

    Blacksmiths?

    impossible, Nov 25, 2009