    Why spend money on DVD software - after all you can get a burner with
    Nero Burning ROM / NeroVision, some great software for editing and
    burning DVDs in a desktop drive for under $150.

    SchoolTech, Apr 6, 2006

  2. SchoolTech

    SteveM Guest

    SchoolTech <> wrote in
    news:4434daea$:

    > Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
    >
    > The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the logon
    > has started. This means half the time the network is not detected and
    > logon cannot be completed properly.

    Nope - never.
    One of the most reliable wireless cards I have used.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Apr 6, 2006

  3. SchoolTech wrote:
    > Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
    >
    > The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the logon
    > has started. This means half the time the network is not detected and
    > logon cannot be completed properly.

    I have to agree with Steve, the Intel-based cards are very reliable.

    When you install the Intel drivers, you have the choice of having
    support for pre-login network support. Assuming you are running Windows
    XP, you can also let Windows manage the connection.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 6, 2006
  4. SchoolTech

    PC Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.

    snip

    > I'd also suggest people think seriously about the corners that are being
    > cut by laptop manufacturers who do silly things like put the above cards
    > in their laptops, or cards that don't have upgradeable firmware, or DVD
    > writers without any software that writes DVDs etc etc.
    >
    > E.g. Toshiba Satellite A50 - crippled by all the above. Who wants to spend
    > another $100 getting the Intel junk card replaced by another one. Why
    > spend money on DVD software - after all you can get a burner with Nero
    > Burning ROM / NeroVision, some great software for editing and burning DVDs
    > in a desktop drive for under $150.

    Not just Laptops either.

    Looked at an HP desktop a while ago because the owners couldn't write to
    CDRW's like 'big floppy disks' (ie packet writing)
    Discovered there was no packet writing software installed (Roxio DAO)
    Turns out that 'model' didn't come with DAO.
    Owners were Pi**ed off to say the least.
    Rescued the ZIP 750MB IDE from their old box and installed it, yes they knew
    it was more expensive for disks etc, but would 'never' buy an HP again.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Apr 7, 2006
  5. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.

    > snip
    >
    >> I'd also suggest people think seriously about the corners that are being
    >> cut by laptop manufacturers who do silly things like put the above cards
    >> in their laptops, or cards that don't have upgradeable firmware, or DVD
    >> writers without any software that writes DVDs etc etc.
    >>
    >> E.g. Toshiba Satellite A50 - crippled by all the above. Who wants to spend
    >> another $100 getting the Intel junk card replaced by another one. Why
    >> spend money on DVD software - after all you can get a burner with Nero
    >> Burning ROM / NeroVision, some great software for editing and burning DVDs
    >> in a desktop drive for under $150.

    > Not just Laptops either.
    >
    > Looked at an HP desktop a while ago because the owners couldn't write to
    > CDRW's like 'big floppy disks' (ie packet writing)
    > Discovered there was no packet writing software installed (Roxio DAO)
    > Turns out that 'model' didn't come with DAO.

    Yeah we have the Toshiba lappies that come with Sonic DLA (same product
    I think) and the HPs that come without it.

    SchoolTech, Apr 9, 2006
  6. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    SteveM wrote:
    > SchoolTech <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
    >>
    >> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the logon
    >> has started. This means half the time the network is not detected and
    >> logon cannot be completed properly.
    >>

    > Nope - never.
    > One of the most reliable wireless cards I have used.

    Not what I read. Checked on the net and lots of people are having
    problems with these cards.

    SchoolTech, Apr 9, 2006
  7. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > SchoolTech wrote:
    >> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
    >>
    >> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the
    >> logon has started. This means half the time the network is not
    >> detected and logon cannot be completed properly.

    > I have to agree with Steve, the Intel-based cards are very reliable.
    >
    > When you install the Intel drivers, you have the choice of having
    > support for pre-login network support.

    Where is configuration for this option? It's not supported on the cards
    we have.

    SchoolTech, Apr 9, 2006
  8. SchoolTech wrote:
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >> SchoolTech wrote:
    >>> Anyone had this experience with Intel 2200BG wireless adapters.
    >>>
    >>> The DUMB wireless card will not connect to the WAP until AFTER the
    >>> logon has started. This means half the time the network is not
    >>> detected and logon cannot be completed properly.

    >> I have to agree with Steve, the Intel-based cards are very reliable.
    >>
    >> When you install the Intel drivers, you have the choice of having
    >> support for pre-login network support.

    > Where is configuration for this option? It's not supported on the cards
    > we have.

    I'm not in front of my laptop at the moment, but from memory both the
    Intel tools and Windows itself have options to enable Windows to manage
    the network. In XP this option is somewhere in the network configuration
    where you set the IP address and bindings etc.

    You may need to install the generic drivers which can be obtained from
    the Intel Web site.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 9, 2006