Intel VT Support For WIN 7 XP Support.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Woger, May 6, 2009.

  1. Woger

    Woger Guest

    If you stay with the entry-level CPU, XP Mode won’t run on this PC. So you
    decide to upgrade the E7400 to an E8500 for $90. Problem solved! Although both
    are members of the Core 2 Duo family, the E8500 supports Intel VT, whereas the
    E7400 doesn’t.

    But then you realize that for a measly $40 more you can go from a dual-core
    processor to the Core 2 Quad Q8200. Great idea! Unless you want to use any of
    those four CPU cores to run Windows Virtual PC, that is. The Q8200, you see,
    lacks VT support. For that, you need the Q9400, Q9550, or Q9650.

    I had noticed this previously but revisited the topic today after my buddy
    Dwight Silverman commented, with some surprise, that his desktop PC with a
    Core 2 Quad Q8200 won’t support XP Mode (“Bummer”), but the Core 2 Duo E6600
    in an older Mac does just fine. (“I guess I’ll be upgrading my Boot Camp
    partition”)

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946

    Update: A reader passes along a recent news report that Intel plans to update
    five of its processors to add VT support: the Core 2 Quad Q8300, Core 2 Duo
    E7400 and E7500, and Pentium E5300 and E5400 are slated to get the new
    designs. That figures to make the landscape even more confusing, with some
    CPUs having VT support or not depending on the revision number.

    Woger, May 6, 2009

  2. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > If you stay with the entry-level CPU, XP Mode wonÂ’t run on this PC. So you
    > decide to upgrade the E7400 to an E8500 for $90. Problem solved! Although
    > both are members of the Core 2 Duo family, the E8500 supports Intel VT,
    > whereas the E7400 doesnÂ’t.

    So which one are you planning to buy, Wodge old bean?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 6, 2009

  3. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 06 May 2009 14:44:06 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> If you stay with the entry-level CPU, XP Mode won?t run on this PC. So you
    >> decide to upgrade the E7400 to an E8500 for $90. Problem solved! Although
    >> both are members of the Core 2 Duo family, the E8500 supports Intel VT,
    >> whereas the E7400 doesn?t.

    >So which one are you planning to buy, Wodge old bean?

    Next Time OZZ Govt sends me $900au, gee I just spent $450nz on a New Monitor,
    so if up upgrade I will need a New MoBo and new Ram and may be a new 3D card,
    current one is AGP, plus I have a new Desk and need a Smaller Laser printer my
    HP 6L is to tall, the low end Brother HL 2140 is a GDI one the HL 2150n is a
    PCL6, the HP HP LaserJet P1006 looks nice and a lot cheaper , but I don't
    know about the running costs, just found out its a GDI printer

    I am on a Pension and my Wife only works 4 hours a week, if my wife works more
    that $4000nz gross a year she/we get Taxed at 90% Tax rate.

    What other low cost PCL printers are there..?

    Woger, May 6, 2009
  4. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > ... and need a Smaller Laser printer ...

    Do you do a lot of printing? If not, inkjets give better colour.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 6, 2009
  5. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 06 May 2009 17:11:29 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> ... and need a Smaller Laser printer ...

    >Do you do a lot of printing? If not, inkjets give better colour.

    Not for Data, I have 2 Colour Printers, a Epson InkJet and a Panasonic
    Dysub..

    Lasers give you cheap per page Page printing..

    Woger, May 6, 2009
  6. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > Lasers give you cheap per page Page printing..

    Only for high volumes.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 6, 2009
  7. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Wed, 06 May 2009 19:13:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> Lasers give you cheap per page Page printing..

    >Only for high volumes.

    Does not even come into it, its cents per page so has nothing to do with
    volume plus it does not clog like injets do, or ink bubble print heads burning
    out..

    So it cost 10c per page with a Ink Jets would not a Laser Printer at say 3c a
    page be cheaper be to run.?

    From what I have read this is common knowledge..

    Woger, May 6, 2009
  8. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 May 2009 19:13:56 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lasers give you cheap per page Page printing..

    >>Only for high volumes.

    > Does not even come into it ...

    Yes it does--don't forget the price of the printer.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 6, 2009
  9. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > Update: A reader passes along a recent news report that Intel plans to
    > update five of its processors to add VT support: the Core 2 Quad Q8300,
    > Core 2 Duo E7400 and E7500, and Pentium E5300 and E5400 are slated to get
    > the new designs. That figures to make the landscape even more confusing,
    > with some CPUs having VT support or not depending on the revision number.

    But just to add to the complications, it turns out that PC vendors using
    these chips often disable the virtualization support in the BIOS, with no
    (supported) way of turning it on. Some have come up with patch hacks, with
    mixed success...

    A roiling pot of confusion, this is warming up to be.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 7, 2009
  10. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> ... and need a Smaller Laser printer ...

    > Do you do a lot of printing? If not, inkjets give better colour.

    But lousy text that will have furry edges and move along the paper in
    high humidity.

    Richard, May 8, 2009
  11. In message <gtvrtf$8k4$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Do you do a lot of printing? If not, inkjets give better colour.

    > But lousy text that will have furry edges and move along the paper in
    > high humidity.

    I have an Epson R800, and the text printing on that is fantastic.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 8, 2009
  12. Woger

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gtvrtf$8k4$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you do a lot of printing? If not, inkjets give better colour.

    >> But lousy text that will have furry edges and move along the paper in
    >> high humidity.

    > I have an Epson R800, and the text printing on that is fantastic.

    On photo paper it can be, but on standard $5 a ream copier paper the
    fibers are so large that the ink will wick along them and make fuzzy
    edges, and high humidity will make it bleed more since its slower to dry.

    Richard, May 8, 2009
  13. In message <gtvubv$b9t$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> But lousy text that will have furry edges and move along the paper in
    >>> high humidity.

    >> I have an Epson R800, and the text printing on that is fantastic.

    > On photo paper it can be, but on standard $5 a ream copier paper the
    > fibers are so large that the ink will wick along them and make fuzzy
    > edges ...

    Nope, standard photocopier paper.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 8, 2009
  14. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946

    This item <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/r2e-microsoft-intel-goof-up-windows-7s-xp-mode.ars> highlights how confusing
    the Intel processor lineup can be. AMD is a bit simpler, but it still begs the question: why didn't Microsoft make use of VirtualPC
    technology, which it owns? Why demand full hardware virtualization, which is far from commonplace on the desktop?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 9, 2009