    lower-power x86 chips to lessen their market-size disadvantage vis-a-vis
    ARM.

    Will it work? I still think x86 is too complex.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 19, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2011 22:22:55 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Will it work? I still think x86 is too complex.

    Aren't all Intel x86 chips backwards compatible with the original Intel
    4bit chip that the Intel 8080 was based on and every chip released since
    then?

    Boots, May 19, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/intel-shakes-up-roadmap-to-attack-ultra-mobile-computing/5823>:
    >
    > CEO Paul Otellini said Intel’s future processors for laptops and
    > mainstream desktops would be designed with a power rating of 10 to
    > 20 watts. That’s a major change from the 30- to 40-watt ratings of
    > today’s second-generation Core processors.
    >
    > I think they’re feeling the heat (so to speak) from ARM and the
    > ultramobile market. They’re trying to boost the potential volumes for
    > manufacture of lower-power x86 chips to lessen their market-size
    > disadvantage vis-a-vis ARM.
    >
    > Will it work? I still think x86 is too complex.

    ARM = Betamax

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, May 19, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-05-19, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 19/05/11 22:22, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/intel-shakes-up-roadmap-to-attack-ultra-mobile-computing/5823>:
    >>
    >> CEO Paul Otellini said Intel?s future processors for laptops and
    >> mainstream desktops would be designed with a power rating of 10 to
    >> 20 watts. That?s a major change from the 30- to 40-watt ratings of
    >> today?s second-generation Core processors.
    >>
    >> I think they?re feeling the heat (so to speak) from ARM and the
    >> ultramobile market. They?re trying to boost the potential volumes for
    >> manufacture of lower-power x86 chips to lessen their market-size
    >> disadvantage vis-a-vis ARM.
    >>
    >> Will it work? I still think x86 is too complex.
    >>

    > ARM = Betamax

    The better product but lost to market forces.
    Gordon, May 20, 2011