    again, I get the same problem. Somehow, something somewhere is managing my
    wireless and it is not Intel. Windows without wireless zero enabled???

    Any ideas anyone?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Oct 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Try this open Control Panel | Network Connections | right click on your
    Intel Pro Wireless connection | click on properties | Click on the Wireless
    Networks (tab) | uncheck "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    settings" Click "OK" Click "X" Reboot.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Oct 31, 2006

  3. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the response. I tried the the first couple of times and it did
    not work. This led me to disable wireless zero which in turn removed the
    "wireless networks" tab from properties. Surely without the service enabled
    windows would have no way of managing the wireless adapter?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=, Oct 31, 2006
  4. Hi
    You do need to disable WZC, in order to use the Intel utility.
    Search the startup and processes and see if there is something else that is
    related to Wireless Network running in background. Some of the Laptop do
    tend to load a lot of unnecessary (and some time conflicted) software at
    Start Up.
    These might help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#startup
    http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#process
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 31, 2006
  5. When PROset takes control over the wireless, it does not disable WZC,
    but just clears the checkbox "use windows..." on the wireless tab.

    However, PROset detects that some app tries to use the
    same standard OIDs that WZC uses - then it assumes that
    you have other wireless utilty and surrenders the control.
    This other thing probably is not WZC, because WZC will never touch the
    adapter when this checkbox is cleared.

    So, either you have other wireless utility, or the registry settings are
    reverted
    back every time you reboot - maybe because Windows crashes and restores last
    known good config.

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Oct 31, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Well I happen to have an Intel Proset Wireless on my notebook, and for me it
    works, there is no need to disable WZC. I believe if I where you I'd try
    something like TuneUp Utilities 2006 and have it check your registry. I
    believe you have a registry problem somewhere. I've got three different
    icons in the taskbar giving me different info about my wireless connection.
    I suppose it's also possible you have a bad card, one in the process of
    dying. But my hunch is that your registry is corrupt.

    David Hettel, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Hi
    I believe that the Intrel Utility switches WZC off, if used as preferred
    Wireless manager.
    Switching WZC Off manually sometimes helps when the system is "Quirky".
    The three Icons (I.e what ever generate them and run in memory) demonstrates
    my point. It works in your system David, but in other systems, or under
    different circumstances in a system like yours, it is a source of
    problematic Wireless Connection.
    The manufacturers load Windows, loads the Wireless original utility, and
    loads additional “Stuff” that deems necessary for what ever their own
    purpose is.

    They do try it against a live wireless setting (usually their own, if they
    sell one, or another Brand that they have some business relations with).

    However, the consumers have choices, and thus might use other Wireless
    devices. Sooner or later someone ends with a compatibility problem.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 1, 2006