Intel PROSet/Wireless shows varying signal quality

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill, May 28, 2008.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have an 802.11g home network. My laptop uses Intel ProSet/Wireless to
    manage WiFi connections. Sometimes the Intel ProSet/Wireless icon in
    the task bar shows poor signal quality event though the signal strength
    indicator in the ProSet/Wireless main screen shows five bars (the
    maximum). My laptop is located less than three fee from the wireless
    router. I have tried different channels with no effect.

    1) What metric does Intel ProSet/Wireless use to determine signal
    quality?

    2) How can I determine the cause of the intermittent poor signal
    quality?

    Any suggestions or pointers to reference material would be most welcome.

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 28, 2008

  2. Bill

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 28, 3:46 pm, "Bill" <> wrote:
    > I have an 802.11g home network. My laptop uses Intel ProSet/Wireless to
    > manage WiFi connections. Sometimes the Intel ProSet/Wireless icon in
    > the task bar shows poor signal quality event though the signal strength
    > indicator in the ProSet/Wireless main screen shows five bars (the
    > maximum). My laptop is located less than three fee from the wireless
    > router. I have tried different channels with no effect.
    >
    > 1) What metric does Intel ProSet/Wireless use to determine signal
    > quality?
    >
    > 2) How can I determine the cause of the intermittent poor signal
    > quality?
    >
    > Any suggestions or pointers to reference material would be most welcome.
    >
    > --
    > .Bill.

    Sgnal interferance is normal. Can be cause by almost any
    environmental causes:

    -- Microwave ovens
    -- Cordless phones
    -- Additional wifi wireless networks in your area
    -- Cell phone
    -- Power

    smlunatick, May 28, 2008

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    smlunatick wrote:

    > Sgnal interferance is normal. Can be cause by almost any
    > environmental causes:
    >
    > -- Microwave ovens
    > -- Cordless phones
    > -- Additional wifi wireless networks in your area
    > -- Cell phone
    > -- Power

    Thanks. If interferance that causes the network to fail was normal no
    one would use wireless networks.<g> I know it is not my microwave oven
    or cordless phones (different frequency). There are no other wifi
    networks within range. There are no cell phones in use in my house when
    the problem occurs. The house next to me is vacant at the moment so I
    know the problem is not there.

    Any suggestions for determining the cause or reducing its impact?

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 28, 2008
  4. Bill

    smlunatick Guest

    On May 28, 4:32 pm, "Bill" <> wrote:
    > smlunatick wrote:
    > > Sgnal interferance is normal.  Can be cause by almost any
    > > environmental causes:

    > > -- Microwave ovens
    > > -- Cordless phones
    > > -- Additional wifi wireless networks in your area
    > > -- Cell phone
    > > -- Power

    > Thanks. If interferance that causes the network to fail was normal no
    > one would use wireless networks.<g> I know it is not my microwave oven
    > or cordless phones (different frequency). There are no other wifi
    > networks within range. There are no cell phones in use in my house when
    > the problem occurs. The house next to me is vacant at the moment so I
    > know the problem is not there.
    >
    > Any suggestions for determining the cause or reducing its impact?
    >
    > --
    > .Bill.

    Did you scan for the Wireless network in your area?

    Where is the router placed? It should be in the center of your
    network area.

    Walls, eleectronic equipement and appliances can "reflect" some of the
    signals.

    smlunatick, May 29, 2008
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    smlunatick wrote:

    > Did you scan for the Wireless network in your area?

    Yes. There are a couple of other networks but they are not close and
    none is on the channel I am using.

    > Where is the router placed? It should be in the center of your
    > network area.

    It is not but it cannot be moved. Location cannot be relevant to the
    problem.

    > Walls, eleectronic equipement and appliances can "reflect" some of the
    > signals.

    The problem is that the signal quality as reported by Intel
    ProSet/Wireless suddenly drops dramatically for a period of time that
    may range from minutes to hours then suddenly returns to its normal
    value. Walls cannot cause that effect.

    I am beginning to suspect that it must be some kind of interference and
    that once I eliminate possible causes in my home there is nothing else
    I can do. Is that the case?

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 29, 2008
  6. Bill

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > I am beginning to suspect that it must be some kind of interference and
    > that once I eliminate possible causes in my home there is nothing else
    > I can do. Is that the case?

    A professional wi-fi installer can find what is
    this interference, and locate your equipment optimally.
    Of course, this will cost you.
    There are also some RF energy meters and software for amateurs - google...

    --PA

    Pavel A., May 29, 2008
  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Pavel A. wrote:

    > There are also some RF energy meters and software for amateurs -
    > google...

    Thanks.

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 29, 2008
  8. Bill

    John Guest

    You guys are forgetting 1 fact presented by Bill (OP), that is: "My laptop
    is located less than three fee from the wireless
    router" (I take that as 3 feet instead of "fee"). 3 ft isn't that far. At
    this distance, signal strength and quality should be in the 90% range (and
    up) constantly.

    @Bill
    (wild guess) Perhaps PROSet driver or firmware needs an update

    John, May 29, 2008
  9. Bill

    Bill Guest

    John wrote:

    > @Bill
    > (wild guess) Perhaps PROSet driver or firmware needs an update

    I would believe that except that when the signal quality drops we see
    it drop on my wife's laptop (an HP dv1000, I have a Dell Inspiron 9300)
    as well. Her laptop does not use Intel ProSet/Wireless.

    I got hold of a second access point and now have it set up about two
    feet from the first but using a different channel. The next time the
    signal quality drops I want to see if it drops for both access points.
    I also have Network Stumbler installed now so I will see what it shows
    the next time the signal drops.

    Thanks to eveyone for the information and suggestions.

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 29, 2008
  10. Bill

    John Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > I would believe that except that when the signal quality drops we see
    > it drop on my wife's laptop (an HP dv1000, I have a Dell Inspiron 9300)
    > as well. Her laptop does not use Intel ProSet/Wireless.

    I agree. That narrows it down to either the router or interference. Does
    your router happen to be newer version of Linksys WRT54G?

    > I got hold of a second access point and now have it set up about two
    > feet from the first but using a different channel. The next time the
    > signal quality drops I want to see if it drops for both access points.
    > I also have Network Stumbler installed now so I will see what it shows
    > the next time the signal drops.

    Come back and post your findings, if you don't mind. I'd love to hear it.

    John, May 29, 2008
  11. Bill

    Bill Guest

    John wrote:

    > I agree. That narrows it down to either the router or interference.
    > Does your router happen to be newer version of Linksys WRT54G?

    Until recently I was using a Belkin F5D7130 access point. I now have a
    new Linksys WRT54GL v1.1. I purchased the WRT54GL so I can use the
    DD-WRT firmware if I want to. At the moment I have the WRT54GL running
    on channel 3 and the Belkin on channel 11. The Belkin has always been
    on channel 11 in the past.

    > Come back and post your findings, if you don't mind. I'd love to hear
    > it.

    Will do.

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 29, 2008
  12. Bill

    John Guest

    WRT54GL is a good choice. I've heard so many issues (eg: dropped wifi
    connections, freeze after a day or two etc) with WRT54G v5 and later. I've
    never had any problems with my WRT54G v3.0

    Btw, I'm not a big fan of Belkin WiFi products. The 2 Belkins I've used give
    me nothing but troubles.

    John, May 29, 2008
  13. Bill

    Bill Guest

    John wrote:

    > WRT54GL is a good choice. I've heard so many issues (eg: dropped wifi
    > connections, freeze after a day or two etc) with WRT54G v5 and later.
    > I've never had any problems with my WRT54G v3.0

    Thanks. My understanding is that the GL is basically the same as the
    WRT54G v4.0 so I hope it will be a good product.

    > Btw, I'm not a big fan of Belkin WiFi products. The 2 Belkins I've
    > used give me nothing but troubles.

    I agree. One of the reason's for buying the WRT54GL is that I think
    that the Belkin AP may have been part of the problem. In the few days
    since I have switched to the WRT54GL the network has been much more
    stable than it was before the switch. The one good thing I will say
    about Belkin is that there support is good.

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 29, 2008
  14. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Make that "their support is good."

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, May 30, 2008
  15. Bill

    John Guest

    Sheeessshhh... I thought you found the culprit.

    "there" or "their" - I got what you were trying to say.
    Just like "fee" when you meant "feet" :)

    Well, at least they (Belkin) are good at something.

    John, May 30, 2008
  16. Bill

    Bill Guest

    John wrote:

    > Sheeessshhh... I thought you found the culprit.

    Looks like the Belkin access point was the culprit. I now have the high
    gain antenna kit installed on my WRT54GL an during the last five days I
    have had no problems of any kind with the wireless network.

    Thanks again for all of your help.

    --
    ..Bill.

    Bill, Jun 3, 2008
  17. Bill

    John Guest

    Thanks for the update. Btw, do you have any connection problem without high
    gain antenna attached to your Linksys?

    (I just remember) my problem with Belkin was that I was never able to
    download large files (MBs in size). It's always stuck somewhere. Download
    speed started fine (150KB/Sec - I have 1.5Mbps DSL) and dropping slowly to a
    halt. Replaced Belkin with my WRT54G, connection is smooth since then (Feb
    2008).

    John, Jun 3, 2008