    MHz. All these terms get confusing, even after reading up on the web. Simple
    layman's explanation devoid of computerese would help. ;-)

    Carol
    Carol, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Carol

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Carol" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Centrino's are the mobile ones used
    > in laptops, yes?

    Centrino is a mobile package. The CPU in Centrino based laptops are
    Pentium Ms (as in, Pentium Mobile). Centrino just shows it has a Pentium
    M and built in wireless technology.

    > Celerons are like budget Pentiums, smaller cache and
    > not good for multitaskers and gamers, yes?

    Celerons are crippled Pentiums. Less cache, a much slower front side
    bus. Not really "good" for anything, but for office work they are more
    than adaquate.

    > And Pentiums are the
    > workhorses, multitasking is easy.

    Multitasking is no easier on a Pentium than it is on a Celeron, or an AMD
    Athlon based chip.

    > The older P IV platform is now the core of the Celeron. What problems
    > did older P IV's have before the newer platform core was introduced?

    They didn't have any "problems", they just got outdated.

    > How do you know which one is in your PC? I know that my 2003 model Evo
    > has a P IV 2.53 GHz processor with a FSB of 533 MHz.

    You have a Pentium 4 based on the Northwood core. The tricky part is
    Intel now sells P4 2.53 ghz processors with 533mhz FSBs that are based on
    the Prescott core.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jul 9, 2004

  3. Carol

    Stuart Guest

    Re: Intel Processors, Pentium IV, Celeron, Centrino, Prescott, Willamette,????

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > "Carol" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Centrino's are the mobile ones used
    >>in laptops, yes?

    > Centrino is a mobile package. The CPU in Centrino based laptops are
    > Pentium Ms (as in, Pentium Mobile). Centrino just shows it has a Pentium
    > M and built in wireless technology.

    Plus power saving capabilities.

    >>Celerons are like budget Pentiums, smaller cache and
    >>not good for multitaskers and gamers, yes?

    > Celerons are crippled Pentiums. Less cache, a much slower front side
    > bus. Not really "good" for anything, but for office work they are more
    > than adaquate.

    Or if you are on a budget.

    >>And Pentiums are the
    >>workhorses, multitasking is easy.

    > Multitasking is no easier on a Pentium than it is on a Celeron, or an AMD
    > Athlon based chip.

    Yes, the OP seems to be ignoring AMD.

    >>The older P IV platform is now the core of the Celeron. What problems
    >>did older P IV's have before the newer platform core was introduced?

    > They didn't have any "problems", they just got outdated.
    >

    >>How do you know which one is in your PC? I know that my 2003 model Evo
    >>has a P IV 2.53 GHz processor with a FSB of 533 MHz.

    > You have a Pentium 4 based on the Northwood core. The tricky part is
    > Intel now sells P4 2.53 ghz processors with 533mhz FSBs that are based on
    > the Prescott core.

    The OP can also search google for a free program called wcpuid, this
    little program will show useful information regarding the chip, memory
    and mobo.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jul 9, 2004
  4. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Stuart wrote:
    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >
    >> "Carol" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> Centrino's are the mobile ones used
    >>> in laptops, yes?

    >> Centrino is a mobile package. The CPU in Centrino based laptops are
    >> Pentium Ms (as in, Pentium Mobile). Centrino just shows it has a
    >> Pentium M and built in wireless technology.

    > Plus power saving capabilities.
    >

    >>> Celerons are like budget Pentiums, smaller cache and
    >>> not good for multitaskers and gamers, yes?

    >> Celerons are crippled Pentiums. Less cache, a much slower front side
    >> bus. Not really "good" for anything, but for office work they are
    >> more than adaquate.

    > Or if you are on a budget.
    >
    >>> And Pentiums are the
    >>> workhorses, multitasking is easy.

    >> Multitasking is no easier on a Pentium than it is on a Celeron, or
    >> an AMD Athlon based chip.

    > Yes, the OP seems to be ignoring AMD.
    >
    >>> The older P IV platform is now the core of the Celeron. What
    >>> problems did older P IV's have before the newer platform core was
    >>> introduced?

    >> They didn't have any "problems", they just got outdated.
    >>

    >>> How do you know which one is in your PC? I know that my 2003 model
    >>> Evo has a P IV 2.53 GHz processor with a FSB of 533 MHz.

    >> You have a Pentium 4 based on the Northwood core. The tricky part is
    >> Intel now sells P4 2.53 ghz processors with 533mhz FSBs that are
    >> based on the Prescott core.

    > The OP can also search google for a free program called wcpuid, this
    > little program will show useful information regarding the chip, memory
    > and mobo.
    >
    > Stuart

    Thanks guys. Great little program too.

    Carol