Intel Pro Set software replacment?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ty, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Ty

    Ty Guest

    Hello all,
    I work in a hospital and we have added a large wireless system a
    little over a year ago. Since that time we have been tring to over come
    some issues with connection loss. We are using a software pakage from
    Cerner. The servers are located at thier facility several states away.
    We connect through the use of citrix software. By using citrix we find
    that even a millisecond loss of signal will disconnect the citrix
    connection.

    We started out using a authentication software program called
    Odyssey for security. We have since been trying diffrent methods to
    find out where the problem is and have tried just Zero config.

    The issue we belive is that the wireless users may be jumping to a
    AP on another floor so we were looking for something that would allows
    us to restrict connections to specific APs. Most of our wireless cards
    are Intel 2200's and come with the Pro Set software that allows
    mandatory AP. The issue is that you cannot specify more than 1 AP. Due
    to the large facility we have multiple APs servicing each depatrment so
    we needs to restrict connection to more that 1 AP but eliminate APs on
    other floors and departments.

    I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a replacment software
    that will allow use to specify more than 1 AP.

    Ty
    Ty, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Ty

    David Hettel Guest

    Would it be possible to reconfigure your Access Points so that each
    department had it's own SSID and password? Such as all Access Points on 6
    floor west use say west6floor and a common password. While all AP on east
    use east6floor, and a different password. I am not aware of any software for
    the PC that will restrict the PC to a set number AP mac addresses. As I
    understand it your PC should remain locked on one access point as long as it
    is receiving a signal from it, when the signal fails, it should first look
    for other signals from other access points with the same SSID. Having the
    first 8 letters in the SSID name different in theory as I understand it
    should prevent your PC from jumping from west6floor to Radiology or
    east6floor.

    The other option I can think of is disabling Windows Zero Config.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Hi

    Putting aside the issue of your specific provider (I do not know what might
    or might not work with their system).

    Try to contact these people; I believe that they have solution for such
    issues, http://www.landesk.com/

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 17, 2007
  4. Ty

    Ty Guest

    Hi Jack

    We do use LanDesk for our remoting software already which I have to say
    is once you use thier software you'll never want another remote
    management software again. I was not aware that they offer any type of
    wireless software.

    David....
    We are unable to have Ap's with seprate names as we have many
    physicians and users that work through out the hospital and having the
    users enter passwords in when they hit a diffrent AP would cause the
    entire IT department to look for another job.

    You can designate an AP with intel's Pro set software but it is lacking
    and we would like an alternative.

    Ty, Jan 18, 2007