Intel or Atheros?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MS, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    I'm thinking of purchasing a Fujitsu P7000 sub-notebook computer. There are
    two options for the built-in wireless card:

    1) Integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (Tri-mode
    802.11a/b/g)

    or

    2) Atheros Super AG® (802.11a/b/g)

    Which card is better?

    Or---no difference?

    Would the difference depend on what kind of equipment (routers) the card is
    connecting to? Would the benefits of the Atheros card only come into play
    when connected to an Atheros router? With a laptop, to be used at different
    places, one would never know what equipment one might connect to. Would the
    Intel card be more compatible?

    Besides differences in performance (if any), there are of course other
    factors to consider, such as reliability, durability, etc. Could anyone
    compare those factors on those two cards?

    In choosing between those two versions of the Fujitsu sub-notebook, I
    believe they used to charge more for the D version (with Atheros card), but
    now the price is the same, Intel or Atheros. (I think the type of Intel card
    has recently been upgraded.) So, with the prices the same, cost isn't an
    issue between the two cards, but I don't know what other factors to consider
    in the choice.

    Any information helpful to choosing between those two cards would be
    appreciated.
    MS, Jul 17, 2005

  2. MS

    Matt Gibson Guest

    They'll both be equally compatible, but personally, I prefer the utilities
    and the linux compatibility of the Atheros chipset.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Matt Gibson, Jul 18, 2005

  3. MS

    MS Guest

    "Matt Gibson" <> wrote in message
    > They'll both be equally compatible, but personally, I prefer the utilities
    > and the linux compatibility of the Atheros chipset.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Any difference in power consumption? Can both be turned off when not in
    use, to save power?

    MS, Jul 18, 2005
  4. MS

    Matt Gibson Guest

    Not sure about power consumption. I've yet to see a wireless card built
    into a laptop that could not be turned off.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC
    Matt Gibson, Jul 18, 2005
  5. MS

    Andrew C Guest

    There is no real difference between the two because when the wireless card
    is built in the antennas are usually the same size. I'm not sure if they can
    turn on and off, mine does but ive also seen ones that dont.

    Andrew C, Jul 18, 2005