Intel or AMD?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Which is better out of the two processors below and why?

    - -

    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

    Dual Core Technology, 2.40GHz clock speed, 4MB L2 Cache, Intel
    Speedstep Technology, EM64T 64-Bit Technology, Execute Disable Bit.
    3yr Warranty.

    - -

    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail

    Dual Core Technology, 3.00GHz clock speed, 2x1MB L2 Cache, 64-Bit
    Technology, HyperTransport Technology, 3yr Warranty.

    - -

    Cheers

    John
    John, Jun 3, 2007

  2. John

    babaloo Guest

    Core Duo faster on test bench, indisputable.
    Intel has leapfrogged AMD with massive amounts of on board cache and
    adaptation of the AMD model of fewer but more efficient pipelines.
    However in the real world there is no appreciable difference between either
    of these and CPUs from either manufacturer that are a few notches down on
    the food chain.
    If you want to play the latest and greatest 3d games then what matters more
    is the chip set and video cards. Whether you prefer AMD or Intel CPUs the
    clear leader here is the latest/greatest NVidia chipset with SLI for dual
    video card support.Top of the line Nvidia cards are clearly faster than AMD
    equivalents, but as soon as you drop below the Nvidia 8800 ($400-600) the
    single card results are less clear.
    Although XP and Vista (yecchhh) both suport multi-cores almost all programs
    do not, or only partly (a la Photoshop). Productivity programs, e.g. Word or
    Excel, benefit not a jot from CPUs faster than a Pentium II in the real
    world.
    Current dual core CPUs so outclass both operating systems and software, and
    have since the intro of the AMD dual cores, that differences in CPU
    horsepower are almost irrelevant to real world uses.
    However we are all consumers habituated into wanting the latest, greatest,
    fastest whether or not it will really make any difference in the real world
    use of the product, as opposed to what you read in test bench results.
    babaloo, Jun 3, 2007

  3. John

    Paul Guest

    John wrote:
    > Which is better out of the two processors below and why?
    >
    > - -
    >
    > Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
    >
    > Dual Core Technology, 2.40GHz clock speed, 4MB L2 Cache, Intel
    > Speedstep Technology, EM64T 64-Bit Technology, Execute Disable Bit.
    > 3yr Warranty.
    >
    > - -
    >
    > AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail
    >
    > Dual Core Technology, 3.00GHz clock speed, 2x1MB L2 Cache, 64-Bit
    > Technology, HyperTransport Technology, 3yr Warranty.
    >
    > - -
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    Integer ALU looks the same.
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=432&model2=694&chart=158

    AMD looks slightly better - I think this is floating point
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=432&model2=694&chart=159

    There aren't really enough gaming results on the website.
    Ideally, you'd want your favorite game to be listed here,
    to see whether one is better than the other.

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=432&model2=694&chart=165

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 3, 2007
  4. John

    Guest

    yes i to want to ask the same question about these processors.
    I want to run Virtual Servers in Vmware GSX, (exchange 2007 64 bit
    version)
    Also to add to that,
    What is the best motherboard for the job? need onboard nic, and
    video, 4 ram slots would be a bonus but not neccessary. Also need 1
    IDE connection for my burner.

    Also what is the maximum speed ram to these CPU's take take. I have
    been reading that ram speeds come down to the Front Side Bus speed.
    My calculations say that 800ghz ram will only perform at the speed of
    667 ghz ram. Is this true and does it make 800 ram wasted costs with
    this processor??

    Thanks
    , Jul 16, 2007