Intel or Amd, best for power consumption?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Albert Grennock, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. I am considering which to but.

    One issue which concerns me is the power consumption, somoething
    most people probably don't even think about when buying because
    they think it is insignigicant.

    Anyway a quick calculation, I am assuming my PC will be on about
    16 hours a day on average (probablyon 24hours sometimes, or at least untill
    it craches). Now for 365 days that is.......5,840 hours.
    So... I am under the impression that the AMD uses less power then the
    Intel possible 50watts less but I will come back with more accurate figures.
    So....5,840 X 0.05kW=292 kWh.

    Now assuminig a price of 8p per kWh, and electricity is unlikely to get any
    cheaper
    in the future that is......£23 per annum.

    £23 is not a fortune but I expect the PC to last 5 years or more, maybe 10.
    So thats £115 in 5 year, or £230 in ten years, more than the cost of the
    processor
    itself.

    I think there is a similar arguement for LCD monitors which I believe
    consume
    about 50 watts less than a CRT monitor. A quick look at monitor prices shows
    a 17" LCD monitor costs about £50 more than a CRT equilivant so the LC
    works out cheaper after about 2 years.

    My current monitor is about 8 years old so it has cost me about ~£190
    in extra power over a LCD, quite a tidy sum.

    So in summary an AMD system with an LCD monitor will save me about £390
    in running costs over an Intel with a CRT monitor, thats £340 saved when you
    add £50 for the LCD monitor, not far off what the system will cost me I
    expect.

    I expect to pay about £500 for the system and it will be a little easier to
    part
    with the money knowing I have saved £340 by buying the 'right' system :O)
    infact it is probably costing me money running my old system!!! Shock!
    Horror!!!

    Any comments welcome, also please feel free to check my figures.

    Another though just occured to me.....how much do laptops cost to run?????

    Would I be better off with one of those? I know their procesors use less
    power but I am unsure how much.

    Food for though.

    Any advice welcome.

    I don't use my PC for playing 'zap em up' games or anything like that.

    Albert Grennock, Sep 23, 2005

  2. "Albert Grennock" <> wrote in message
    > I am considering which to but.
    >
    > One issue which concerns me is the power consumption, somoething
    > most people probably don't even think about when buying because
    > they think it is insignigicant.
    >
    > Anyway a quick calculation, I am assuming my PC will be on about
    > 16 hours a day on average (probablyon 24hours sometimes, or at least

    untill
    > it craches). Now for 365 days that is.......5,840 hours.
    > So... I am under the impression that the AMD uses less power then the
    > Intel possible 50watts less but I will come back with more accurate

    figures.
    > So....5,840 X 0.05kW=292 kWh.
    >
    > Now assuminig a price of 8p per kWh, and electricity is unlikely to get

    any
    > cheaper
    > in the future that is......£23 per annum.
    >
    > £23 is not a fortune but I expect the PC to last 5 years or more, maybe

    10.
    > So thats £115 in 5 year, or £230 in ten years, more than the cost of the
    > processor
    > itself.
    >
    > I think there is a similar arguement for LCD monitors which I believe
    > consume
    > about 50 watts less than a CRT monitor. A quick look at monitor prices

    shows
    > a 17" LCD monitor costs about £50 more than a CRT equilivant so the LC
    > works out cheaper after about 2 years.
    >
    > My current monitor is about 8 years old so it has cost me about ~£190
    > in extra power over a LCD, quite a tidy sum.
    >
    > So in summary an AMD system with an LCD monitor will save me about £390
    > in running costs over an Intel with a CRT monitor, thats £340 saved when

    you
    > add £50 for the LCD monitor, not far off what the system will cost me I
    > expect.
    >
    > I expect to pay about £500 for the system and it will be a little easier

    > part
    > with the money knowing I have saved £340 by buying the 'right' system :O)
    > infact it is probably costing me money running my old system!!! Shock!
    > Horror!!!
    >
    > Any comments welcome, also please feel free to check my figures.
    >
    > Another though just occured to me.....how much do laptops cost to run?????
    >
    > Would I be better off with one of those? I know their procesors use less
    > power but I am unsure how much.
    >

    > Food for though.
    >
    > Any advice welcome.
    >
    > I don't use my PC for playing 'zap em up' games or anything like that.

    Update on idle the power saving of the AMD processor is 66W or 71W
    at idle, 86W or 96W max. According to these figures.

    http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/processorsmemory/0,39024015,39164010,00.htm

    Which makes the £23 figure about £30-£40 per annum.

    Albert Grennock, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Albert Grennock

    BlastUK Guest

    go for the mobile processor chips designed for use with laptops, they
    consume less power and work just as well for most applications, i
    personally use amd but i heard that intel mobile processors are good at
    keeping power sonsumption low, as in throttling the processor speed
    dynamically depending on load etc..

    BlastUK, Sep 23, 2005
  4. Albert Grennock

    Rob Guest