Intel, more evil than Apple F---- up HUGELY (again)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich, Mar 22, 2011.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Their Sandy Beach chipset is a disaster. It "degrades." It's going
    to cost them over $1B to fix it given the amount they've shipped.
    Check your equipment, it could be part of the massive recall/repair/
    replace to come.

    I hate Intel. You could fill books with their screw-ups, their
    intentional negative manipulation of markets, their shady deals with
    re-sellers, bribes to board makers.

    http://www.pronetworks.org/forums/sandybridge-chipset-design-flaw-and-recall-t117455-10.html

    Intel has recently identified an issue with their 6 series chipsets,
    which are used with all their 2nd generation Core processors
    (code-named Sandy Bridge). This is a potentially serious issue, but it
    should not affect your data, just your system's performance. Intel
    believes
    that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence,
    while
    working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution.

    However, some users may see degradation in the performance of SATA
    devices attached to the system, whether internal or external (such as
    hard
    drives and DVD drives). Intel is not aware of any end-user who has
    seen this
    issue yet, but they expect it to affect a significant percentage of
    users
    eventually, and to worsen over a three year period.

    Please be assured that Micro Center will stand behind every customer
    who
    purchased a system or a motherboard from us that features this
    chipset.
    Intel has already made the necessary change in the manufacturing
    process
    to correct the error, and properly functioning replacements will be
    available
    in approximately 8 weeks.

    To minimize the disruption to you, we suggest that you continue to use
    your
    system until replacement parts are available. At that time, we will
    contact
    you with instructions regarding how to get your motherboard replaced
    or your
    system repaired.

    PLEASE NOTE: There is no problem with the Intel 2nd Generation Core
    Processors themselves.

    Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this
    issue,
    and our assurance that we will keep you informed of any further
    developments.
    Rich, Mar 22, 2011

  2. Rich

    SMS Guest

    On 3/22/2011 9:55 AM, Rich wrote:

    > However, some users may see degradation in the performance of SATA
    > devices attached to the system, whether internal or external (such as
    > hard
    > drives and DVD drives). Intel is not aware of any end-user who has
    > seen this
    > issue yet, but they expect it to affect a significant percentage of
    > users
    > eventually, and to worsen over a three year period.

    These sorts of issues, where the failure happens after the warranty has
    expired, are especially annoying. You can't return the product while
    it's working, even though you know it may fail after the warranty ends.
    If it's from a reputable manufacturer you may be able to get some
    relief. I have laptops that are six years old, that are still being
    used. The ideal that the "useful life" of a laptop is three years is absurd.

    Not sure what you expected Intel to do about this that they did not
    already do. This sort of thing sometimes happens with complex chips.
    Fortunately the large system manufacturers have systems in place to
    track issues and they do in-depth analysis when they see failure trends.

    I see that my Dell laptop purchased last December was just updated with
    Sandy Bridge, but that mine has the older chipset without this issue.
    SMS, Mar 22, 2011

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 22, 2:48 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    > >Their Sandy Beach chipset is a disaster.  It "degrades."  It's going
    > >to cost them over $1B to fix it given the amount they've shipped.
    > >Check your equipment, it could be part of the massive recall/repair/
    > >replace to come.

    > >I hate Intel.  You could fill books with their screw-ups, their
    > >intentional negative manipulation of markets, their shady deals with
    > >re-sellers, bribes to board makers.

    > What relevance has this to photography, Rich?
    >
    > I suggest: None.

    LOTS. Unless you completely divorce iPhones, iPads, home computers,
    laptops, netbooks, etc, from photography.
    Rich, Mar 22, 2011
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 22, 3:11 pm, SMS <> wrote:
    > On 3/22/2011 9:55 AM, Rich wrote:
    >
    > > However, some users may see degradation in the performance of SATA
    > > devices attached to the system, whether internal or external (such as
    > > hard
    > > drives and DVD drives). Intel is not aware of any end-user who has
    > > seen this
    > > issue yet, but they expect it to affect a significant percentage of
    > > users
    > > eventually, and to worsen over a three year period.

    > These sorts of issues, where the failure happens after the warranty has
    > expired, are especially annoying. You can't return the product while
    > it's working, even though you know it may fail after the warranty ends.
    > If it's from a reputable manufacturer you may be able to get some
    > relief. I have laptops that are six years old, that are still being
    > used. The ideal that the "useful life" of a laptop is three years is absurd.
    >
    > Not sure what you expected Intel to do about this that they did not
    > already do. This sort of thing sometimes happens with complex chips.

    I agree it's not like the Chinese electrolytic capacitor problem that
    infected motherboards in the late 1980's, but it is SO par for the
    course for Intel. There is a special place in Hell for Andy Grove.
    Rich, Mar 22, 2011
  5. On 3/22/2011 4:32 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > I disagree. I'm the owner of an almost new Dell XPS 8300 which uses
    > the chip set concerned. I bought it as part of my image processing
    > chain and to me it is almost as important as my camera.
    >
    > The SATA drive is already the performance bottleneck in the computer
    > and I am not enthused at the thought that it will get even slower.
    >
    > Having said that, the thing still goes like a wheeze of streakle piss
    > and without the performance measurement and the Intel news I would be
    > entirely happy with it.

    I'm the owner of one of those computers.

    They are going to replace your motherboard with one
    with a new, unbroken chip. Free. At you home or office.
    Call Dell.

    The only people hurt by this are shareholders.
    Well, maybe they will raise prices a little bit.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Mar 22, 2011
  6. Rich

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    Are we to understand that Rich has become a spokesman for the Micro Center
    chain? Or that pigs have sprouted wings?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 25, 2011
  7. Rich

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:11:24 -0700, SMS <> wrote:
    : On 3/22/2011 9:55 AM, Rich wrote:
    :
    : > However, some users may see degradation in the performance of SATA
    : > devices attached to the system, whether internal or external (such as
    : > hard drives and DVD drives). Intel is not aware of any end-user who
    : > has seen this issue yet, but they expect it to affect a significant
    : > percentage of users eventually, and to worsen over a three year period.
    :
    : These sorts of issues, where the failure happens after the warranty has
    : expired, are especially annoying. You can't return the product while
    : it's working, even though you know it may fail after the warranty ends.
    : If it's from a reputable manufacturer you may be able to get some
    : relief. I have laptops that are six years old, that are still being
    : used. The ideal that the "useful life" of a laptop is three years is
    : absurd.

    I'm the nearest thing our shop has to a laptop expert; so I have several, some
    of them pretty old. I've found that if I take an old XP laptop and install
    Windows 7 on it, it runs noticeably faster. A Dell Latitude D600 is a great
    candidate for that treatment. The D600 was a dog from Day 1, but with 2GB of
    memory and a Windows 7 OS transplant, it's very acceptable for most purposes.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 26, 2011
  8. Rich

    John Turco Guest

    Richard Anderson, More Stupid Than Wolfgang Weisselberg/Was: Re: Intel,more evil than Apple F---- up HUGELY (again)

    Rich wrote:

    > Their Sandy Beach chipset is a disaster. It "degrades." It's going
    > to cost them over $1B to fix it given the amount they've shipped.
    > Check your equipment, it could be part of the massive recall/repair/
    > replace to come.
    >
    > I hate Intel. You could fill books with their screw-ups, their
    > intentional negative manipulation of markets, their shady deals
    > with re-sellers, bribes to board makers.

    <edited for humanity>

    C'mon, Cap'n Canuck! Dart into the nearest phone booth (do such
    things exist anymore?), put on your costume, don thy cape...and
    then, burst out and right the world's wrongs.

    We need your Canadian inherent goodness and superior powers, in
    order to rid our poor planet of all those wicked U.S. corporate
    colossuses.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Mar 31, 2011
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Re: Richard Anderson, More Stupid Than Wolfgang Weisselberg/Was: Re:Intel, more evil than Apple F---- up HUGELY (again)

    On Mar 30, 10:24 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >
    > > Their Sandy Beach chipset is a disaster.  It "degrades."  It's going
    > > to cost them over $1B to fix it given the amount they've shipped.
    > > Check your equipment, it could be part of the massive recall/repair/
    > > replace to come.

    > > I hate Intel.  You could fill books with their screw-ups, their
    > > intentional negative manipulation of markets, their shady deals
    > > with re-sellers, bribes to board makers.

    > <edited for humanity>
    >
    > C'mon, Cap'n Canuck! Dart into the nearest phone booth (do such
    > things exist anymore?), put on your costume, don thy cape...and
    > then, burst out and right the world's wrongs.
    >
    > We need your Canadian inherent goodness and superior powers, in
    > order to rid our poor planet of all those wicked U.S. corporate
    > colossuses.
    >
    > --
    > Cordially,
    >            John Turco <>
    >
    > Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>

    Thread title hijacking, the HALLMARK of internet scoundrels. Do you
    have a tattoo on your head that says, "Intel Inside?"
    Rich, Mar 31, 2011
  10. Rich

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:50:49 -0700 (PDT), Rich <> wrote:
    : On Mar 30, 10:24 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    : > Rich wrote:
    : >
[...]
    : > --
    : > Cordially,
    : >            John Turco <>
    : >
    : > Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
    :
    : Thread title hijacking, the HALLMARK of internet scoundrels. Do you
    : have a tattoo on your head that says, "Intel Inside?"

    Do you have one that says "Contents Under Pressure - Do Not Puncture"?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 2, 2011
  11. Rich

    John Turco Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > > On Mar 30, 10:24 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    > > > Rich wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Their Sandy Beach chipset is a disaster. It "degrades." It's going
    > > > to cost them over $1B to fix it given the amount they've shipped.
    > > > Check your equipment, it could be part of the massive recall/repair/
    > > > replace to come.

    > > > I hate Intel. You could fill books with their screw-ups, their
    > > > intentional negative manipulation of markets, their shady deals
    > > > with re-sellers, bribes to board makers.

    > > <edited for humanity>
    > >
    > > C'mon, Cap'n Canuck! Dart into the nearest phone booth (do such
    > > things exist anymore?), put on your costume, don thy cape...and
    > > then, burst out and right the world's wrongs.
    > >
    > > We need your Canadian inherent goodness and superior powers, in
    > > order to rid our poor planet of all those wicked U.S. corporate
    > > colossuses.

    > Thread title hijacking, the HALLMARK of internet scoundrels. Do
    > you have a tattoo on your head that says, "Intel Inside?"

    Cry me a river, Corky! No "hijacking" of any kind, even took place
    (because, I included the original subject title, in my response).

    Whereas >you<, on the other hand, have frequently been guilty of
    copying-&-pasting entire copyrighted articles, without any sort(s)
    of proper attribution(s), whatsoever.

    [Not to mention, the photo thefts posted on your "PBase" page.]

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 28, 2011