    Ordered a Pragmatic Lucent/Agere PCI Internal 56k V92 Modem but
    received an unidentified Intel modem, possibly an Intel Ambient. Are
    they any good? Linux compatible?

    GraB, Feb 24, 2004

  2. GraB wrote:
    > Ordered a Pragmatic Lucent/Agere PCI Internal 56k V92 Modem but
    > received an unidentified Intel modem, possibly an Intel Ambient. Are
    > they any good? Linux compatible?

    I've got the one with the 536EP chipset[1] and it works fine under
    Linux. I bought it from PP where it was called "Intel Ambient PCI
    Internal 56k V92 Modem".

    HTH

    Martin

    [1] http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/products/536ep.htm

    Martin Kaufmann, Feb 24, 2004

  3. GraB

    XPD Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Ordered a Pragmatic Lucent/Agere PCI Internal 56k V92 Modem but
    > received an unidentified Intel modem, possibly an Intel Ambient. Are
    > they any good? Linux compatible?

    PCI modems usually = pretty lousy no matter what theyre on IMHO :)

    But thats me... other smay say otherwise.

    Linux compat.... doubt it without playing around but Im no Linux guru :)

    XPD, Feb 24, 2004
  4. GraB wrote:

    > Ordered a Pragmatic Lucent/Agere PCI Internal 56k V92 Modem but
    > received an unidentified Intel modem, possibly an Intel Ambient. Are
    > they any good? Linux compatible?

    Yep... they work quite well, at least mine did with Mandrake(8?) and
    Redhat(9?).

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 24, 2004
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:47:07 +1300, Martin Kaufmann
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Ordered a Pragmatic Lucent/Agere PCI Internal 56k V92 Modem but
    >> received an unidentified Intel modem, possibly an Intel Ambient. Are
    >> they any good? Linux compatible?

    >I've got the one with the 536EP chipset[1] and it works fine under
    >Linux. I bought it from PP where it was called "Intel Ambient PCI
    >Internal 56k V92 Modem".

    It was from Paradigm so must be like the one you got. My concern was
    the load on the CPU when the CPU is a K6-2/550. When I put an
    external modem on that same mobo it performed noticeably better than
    the PCI modem I originally had, I forget what it was. Perhaps I might
    take a punt on it.

    GraB, Feb 24, 2004
  6. GraB wrote:

    > It was from Paradigm so must be like the one you got. My concern was
    > the load on the CPU when the CPU is a K6-2/550. When I put an
    > external modem on that same mobo it performed noticeably better than
    > the PCI modem I originally had, I forget what it was. Perhaps I might
    > take a punt on it.

    I never checked the CPU load. In my experience, external modems are a
    more likely to be hassle free. I first had a problem between LAN card
    and PCI modem which was solved by replacing the LAN card. After adding a
    sound card to the system the dial-up connection got disconnected
    whenever I started a game (strange...). So in the end I bought an
    external modem but I don't know whether it was caused by the modem or by
    something else.

    Cheers,

    Martin

    Martin Kaufmann, Feb 24, 2004